Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: A team in transition

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelerkeylargo View Post
    My point to the poster is show me a team that has drafted better in rounds 4-7 since 2008. Shut it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !
    Not that I am taking a side one way or the other here. I don't have the time to go check 31 other teams drafts for the past 5 years and see who from the lower rounds is starting or contributing. One thing I did wonder when thinking of this discussion is I wonder how free agent signings would effect this argument. Like even if other teams draft just as poorly as the Steelers in the later rounds, do they fill that void with free agents on a more frequent basis to serve as backups vs. holding onto the subpar draft picks and making those your backups.
    @_Hellgrammite

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

My point to the poster is show me a team that has drafted better in rounds 4-7 since 2008. Shut it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !
    (double post...sorry)
    @_Hellgrammite

Administrator

User Info Menu

Just so you can put this in perspective. Would anyone like to venture how many 4-7 round drafted players are Starters for the Patriots in the same time period???

ANSWER-1 AARON HERNADEZ

How bout the Ravens??

Answer-1 DENNIS PITTA

New York Giants?

Answer-1 Andre Brown (very shaky answer at that)

San Fran???

Answer-1 Bruce Miller ( a freaking FB)

THIS IS ONE OF THE MOST UNINFORMED THREADS EVER. I guess Ozzie Newsome, Scott Pioli/Thomas Dimitroff/Belichek can join Colbert as draft dunces. Seriously this thread is a joke.
    Over the last 2 years, all of those teams you mentioned have had better success than the Steelers.

The Giants won the SB 1 year ago.
    The Ravens won the SB this year and made it to the AFC Championship game the year before.
    The 49ers made it to the SB this year and the NFC Championship game the year before.
    The Patriots made it to the SB last year and the the AFC Championship game this year.

Over the 2 years, those teams were getting better (maybe except the inconsistent Giants) but we've been getting worse. We got embarrassed by a Tebow-lead team in Denver last year. This year was just pathetic on just about all accounts.

The main problem wasn't the fact that we had some older players that were still solid. It's the fact that we had to hang onto them for so long and pay them very, very well because we haven't been very successful is developing our young talent with the exception of CB (thanks to Carnell Lake). Now, the transition needs to begin. Colbert and Tomlin may not use the words "transition" but that is exactly what is happening. The problem? We still don't have good replacements on this roster to fill our needs.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    Over the last 2 years, all of those teams you mentioned have had better success than the Steelers.

The Giants won the SB 1 year ago.
    The Ravens won the SB this year and made it to the AFC Championship game the year before.
    The 49ers made it to the SB this year and the NFC Championship game the year before.
    The Patriots made it to the SB last year and the the AFC Championship game this year.

Over the 2 years, those teams were getting better (maybe except the inconsistent Giants) but we've been getting worse. We got embarrassed by a Tebow-lead team in Denver last year. This year was just pathetic on just about all accounts.

The main problem wasn't the fact that we had some older players that were still solid. It's the fact that we had to hang onto them for so long and pay them very, very well because we haven't been very successful is developing our young talent with the exception of CB (thanks to Carnell Lake). Now, the transition needs to begin. Colbert and Tomlin may not use the words "transition" but that is exactly what is happening. The problem? We still don't have good replacements on this roster to fill our needs.
    THE POINT OF THE POSTER IS THAT WE SHOULD HAVE MULTIPLE STARTERS ON OUR TEAM DRAFTED IN ROUNDS 4-7. THAT COLBERT STINKS BECAUSE WE DONT. MY POINT IS THAT YOU WONT FIND GOOD TEAMS WITH THAT SCENARIO. The Steelers have been as good as any team in the NFL over the time period being discussed. Including the above mentioned teams. So I will trow it back to the original poster, you or anyone else. Show me a good team with multiple Starters drafted in rounds 4-7 from the 08-12 drafts!!!!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

THE POINT OF THE POSTER IS THAT WE SHOULD HAVE MULTIPLE STARTERS ON OUR TEAM DRAFTED IN ROUNDS 4-7. THAT COLBERT STINKS BECAUSE WE DONT. MY POINT IS THAT YOU WONT FIND GOOD TEAMS WITH THAT SCENARIO. The Steelers have been as good as any team in the NFL over the time period being discussed. Including the above mentioned teams. So I will trow it back to the original poster, you or anyone else. Show me a good team with multiple Starters drafted in rounds 4-7 from the 08-12 drafts!!!!
    Can't even compare the Patriots with us. The Patriots have had 24 picks in the first 3 rounds while we have had I think 16 over those 5 drafts. 8 extra picks! Thats an entire draft plus one extra! They drafted, developed, traded a young QB while we say 'we have Ben, lets stick with the old dudes'....They trade their older vets off for picks while we simply cut them then make excuses like 'everyone knows we would cut them anyway'....
    @_Hellgrammite

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    Can't even compare the Patriots with us. The Patriots have had 24 picks in the first 3 rounds while we have had I think 16 over those 5 drafts. 8 extra picks! Thats an entire draft plus one extra! They drafted, developed, traded a young QB while we say 'we have Ben, lets stick with the old dudes'....They trade their older vets off for picks while we simply cut them then make excuses like 'everyone knows we would cut them anyway'....

Once again. You need to read the post. No one is discussing rounds 1-3. Rounds 4-7 are the topic of the discussion.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Once again. You need to read the post. No one is discussing rounds 1-3. Rounds 4-7 are the topic of the discussion.
    Yeah, I know. Was simply implying they don't need to hit on picks in rounds 4-7 and can choose riskier guys than we can afford to do when they have 8 or 9 more premium picks than we do over the same timeframe.
    @_Hellgrammite

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    Yeah, I know. Was simply implying they don't need to hit on picks in rounds 4-7 and can choose riskier guys than we can afford to do when they have 8 or 9 more premium picks than we do over the same timeframe.
    I am sure it is not their intent to use those 4-7 round picks on poor players that they don't think could make the team.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I would hope we hit it on 1-7, we may need to.
    Anyway, I thought we did reasonably well last season with our picks.

The Steelers’ 2012 draftees include offensive guard David DeCastro (1st round; 24th overall), offensive tackle Mike Adams (2nd; 56th), linebacker Sean Spence (3rd; 86th), defensive tackle Alameda Ta’amu (4th; 109th), running back Chris Rainey (5th, 159th), wide receiver Toney Clemons (7th a; 231st), tight end David Paulson (7th b; 240th), cornerback Terrence Frederick (7th c; 246th) and offensive guard Kelvin Beachum (7th d

Out of those picks most had playing time in 2012, and now your looking at DeCasto,Adams,and Paulson starters opening day. Kelvin Beachum will compete with Foster and if he wins we'll have four starters from that draft. Don't forget, if it wasn't for the injury to spense he could of been considered to replace Foote this year.
    I would consider that a good draft, I left out Ta'AMU but he could help too this year if he clears his legal issues. Rainey might have been in the mix too if it wasn't for his off field issue's that put him off the team.

Administrator

User Info Menu

I am sure it is not their intent to use those 4-7 round picks on poor players that they don't think could make the team.
    I sure as hell hope not. How about just getting some players that can contribute as a valuable backup for gods sake.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.