Thread: Nose Tackle in the 1st?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ramblinjim View Post
    I know if you look around enough you'll find some "expert" mock draft out there that will have us taking a quarterback in the first round because we need someone to groom behind Big Ben, so we have to take these for what they are worth.

So while I've been killing time at the office, I've seen two more mock drafts, each of which has us taking a Nose Tackle in the first round. One site had us taking Hankins from Ohio State, the other hand us taking Jenkins from Georgia (who I thought was a second or even third rounder). I recognize that our DL talent and production is not what it once was but is anyone else of the same mind on taking an NT in the first? I know Shawn in an OSU guy, what do you think of Hankins?

Guess I should get back to work now, probably because we had a bad season last year but the speculation and waiting around for the draft this year is killing me!
    Well, since, Ta'amu was slapped on the wrist and McClendon and Fangupo are on the roster currently I don't think they'll be looking for NT. However, if a DeCastro type situation occurs and a NT is the BPA then I could see the Steelers selecting a NT with their 1.17 pick. I haven't heard much banter about elite NTs in this draft or ones that could potentially fall, so it's probably not likely, but stranger things have happened on draft day.

Pappy

The 2024 Pittsburgh Steeler draft

1.20 - Troy Fautanu, T, Washington
    2.51 - Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia
    3.84 - Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan
    3.98 - Payton Wilson, LB, UNC
    4.119 - Mason McCprmick, OG, S. Dakota St
    7.178 - Logan Lee, DT, Iowa
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    I haven't heard much banter about elite NTs in this draft or ones that could potentially fall, so it's probably not likely, but stranger things have happened on draft day.

Pappy
    No elite nose tackles?

Star Lotulelei is perhaps the best 3-4 NT to come out in the last five years.

Further, this is perhaps the deepest high talent 3-4 NT class we have ever seen. Hankins, Sly Williams, Jessie Williams and John Jenkins have all been mentioned as first round possibilities. The Steelers heavily attended the pro day of Brandon Williams (who is likely a day two pick).

Now, I agree that NT at 17 may not be a great value. And, we don't really NEED one. But, the fact remains, this is a fantastic NT draft (especially in the first three rounds) with several "elite" talents.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.