Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Paxton Lynch will haunt us...

Benchwarmer

User Info Menu

We do need to draft and develop a QB for the future. I think this year was all about setting us up for the next 3-5 years of playoff runs. Needing so much help on D to put us over the top made QB a luxury this season. Next season Ben will be 35 and more receptive to a high pick being used on a QB. I'm not big on Lynch tbh. I think the 2017 QB class is a lot better than this year. The next time the Steelers draft a QB it'll be in the realistic hopes he'll eventually replace Ben. The top QBs will go to the MIA, CLE of the world. There's guys like Kiel, Towles, Lunt and Leidner who should be available in round 2 and beyond. Guys with great athleticism but will need a couple of years. All guys I see as better than Lynch and they aren't even among the top 3 or 4 QBs in the class either.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    The only thing haunting about the Paxton Lynch scenario is Jerry Jones now saying that he lost sleep this weekend knowing that he should have overpaid to go get Lynch.

If Denver was willing to give up 1.31 and 3.94 to move up to Seattle's spot at 1.26, what might Jerry have been willing to admittedly overpay to move up to our spot at 1.25 instead?

We shouldn't have turned in our card so quickly...should have used our full allotted time to field calls from Valley Ranch.
    Very valid point!!! Can someone please tell me why we turn it in so dam quick??? Whats the point? Leave as much time for another team to make you a deal....

Rookie

User Info Menu

If your guy is there, draft him...
    Actually, my post was NOT about you...but, if the shoe fits, feel free to lace that &!+€# up and wear it.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    If your guy is there, draft him...
    There is no harm in listening. If you draft him immediately or with all of your time left, either way, you still get him.

I get Colbert's point that, if you are going do move down 5 spots, you better have 5 guys. But if a team would make a crazy overpay for a QB (say, for example, switching spots, pick up an extra 2 or 3 this year and an extra 1 or 2 in 2017), you have to strongly consider that, depending on what the rest of your board looks like.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sword View Post
    Very valid point!!! Can someone please tell me why we turn it in so dam quick??? Whats the point? Leave as much time for another team to make you a deal....
    I believe that is the Steeler philosophy. Identify your guy and get him. Don't risk losing him for the sake of an extra third or whatever. It is easy to sit here and say that Burns was a third rounder and would have been there. It is easy to say that there is no big deal, get Burns, Fuller, or whoever was next - there is not much of a difference between them.

The fact is that this team does things their way and I'm sure that sometimes it works and others it doesn't. All I know is that they obviously have a reason for doing things the way that they do and it works pretty well. Right or wrong, they do so with a lot more information than we have.

*Note - The idea that the FO knows much more than we do applies to 31 teams. The lone exception is the Cleveland Browns. Any of us can do a better job drafting drunk, eyes closed, and with a dart board.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    good catch
    I'll go a bit further back.

Dan Marino

Oh, and picking Paxton Lynch? lol. right.
    Last edited by pfelix73; 05-02-2016 at 09:32 PM.
    6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

2012 MNF Executive Champion

Legend

User Info Menu

When beN'S time is done. We will likely have a season where we draft in the top 1y. Get your next QB then

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pfelix73 View Post
    I'll go a bit further back.

Dan Marino

Oh, and picking Paxton Lynch? lol. right.
    Ok, him too. The point is, the success rate for top 10 QBs isn't great, but the success rate for QBs in the 20-30 range is rather abysmal.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NJ-STEELER View Post
    When beN'S time is done. We will likely have a season where we draft in the top 1y. Get your next QB then
    Don't want to wait tell Ben is done ...better be looking in the next 2 drafts....

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sword View Post
    Don't want to wait tell Ben is done ...better be looking in the next 2 drafts....
    The chances of finding a franchise QB of the future picking from the draft slot of a playoff team is pretty darn small. So far, the board has been able to come up with 2 franchise QB's picked in the late first round since 1983. Rodgers, because teams were scared off by the fact that Jeff Tedford QB's were flops as pros before then, and Marino, because of rumored cocaine use. That's the list since the Reagan administration.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.