Thread: Is something wrong with the D?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    TN ran it down our throats...
    By the end of the game, after they had the ball for well over 30 minutes of game time, it sure seemed that way...

Shockingly, they averaged less than 3 yards per rush...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    By the end of the game, after they had the ball for well over 30 minutes of game time, it sure seemed that way...

Shockingly, they averaged less than 3 yards per rush...
    that 10 or 11 play for their first TD didn't have any passes.

I don't care about the YPC.. I care about our inability to stop a team when we know they are running the ball.

Legend

User Info Menu

Our main problem on D is we can't tackle. The number of missed tackles is crazy. Fix that and this D can carry this team.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    Our main problem on D is we can't tackle. The number of missed tackles is crazy. Fix that and this D can carry this team.
    nope... the D did it's job in 2 out of 4 games and we still lost.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

nope... the D did it's job in 2 out of 4 games and we still lost.
    I have as many takeaways as the D... and you're saying the D isn't the problem?

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    Mostly because the offense serves up more turnovers than Arby's...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    In 2 games the D wasnt the problem...

The D is a problem but its not the biggest problem IMO.

Legend

User Info Menu

Browns celebrations are the biggest problem. I can handle the losing, but the ball drop thing is just KILLING US I dont care if he has 200 yards receiving.
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 10-04-2013 at 08:38 PM.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

If it isn't, it is tied for the biggest. The D was part of the problem, in every game. Because they didn't give the ball back to the defense! This is a glaring, long-standing issue (since 2011). Back then, it was attributed to aging. Two years later, it is worse than it has ever been.

The issue is a lack of speed, getting to the ball. It manifests in never "surprising" ballcarriers at impact, which is the cause of most turnovers (hitting them when they aren't expecting it). It also manifests in the lack of gang-tackling (which usually means that if you miss a tackle, it is going to be a big gain). Not to mention that since we aren't getting there when we're supposed to, often our tackler(no "s" here, because we usually only have one tackler arriving) doesn't have his feet fully under him in good tackling position. Often, he is slightly unbalanced (e.g. lunging), which leads to missed tackles too.

Starter

User Info Menu

that 10 or 11 play for their first TD didn't have any passes.

I don't care about the YPC.. I care about our inability to stop a team when we know they are running the ball.
    That has to change and I expect it will so I will stay optimistic.

I have been wondering why, and posting the question for quite a number of years now as to when are TS going to address and/or continue the legacy of Steed-Kirkland, Hampton-Farrior etc. The strong up the middle thing.

This was bypassed year in and year out and I figured they knew what they were doing.

Uhh! It can't be a good thing when someone [me] who has never even walked on a football is second guessing the org.