Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: So... do you feel good about the safety position after the draft?

Banned

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by calmkiller View Post
    Dravon Askew-Henry played FS at WVU and is a solid pickup. If he wouldn't have tore his ACL a few years ago he would have been a drafted S after his third year. With Edmunds, and Davis starting and backup of Dangerfield, Askew-Henry and Allen available, we should be fine. If they were truly concerned about the position after releasing Burnett, we would have seen it. I think Askew-Henry was tha plan all along.
    Thanks calmkiller. That’s a cool name by the way.

Legend

User Info Menu

No.

But I do feel better about it. Not to go on a Tomlin bash, but I really think that he has no idea what he is doing with the backfield in general.
    Steel City Mafia
    So Cal Boss (Ret)
    [URL]http://www.anewsong.com[/URL]

Banned

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Djfan View Post
    No.

But I do feel better about it. Not to go on a Tomlin bash, but I really think that he has no idea what he is doing with the backfield in general.
    I suspect that too but you have to give him the benefit of the doubt. Tomlin is under a microscope so you would think he’s going to put his best foot forward.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    I suspect that too but you have to give him the benefit of the doubt. Tomlin is under a microscope so you would think he’s going to put his best foot forward.
    I will be the first to sing the Tomlin Polka if he gets it together. Go Steelers
    Steel City Mafia
    So Cal Boss (Ret)

Banned

User Info Menu

For the record, so will I. But if he doesn’t, I’ll also be one of the first going the other way too.

Legend

User Info Menu

For the record, so will I. But if he doesn’t, I’ll also be one of the first going the other way too.
    Second. I own the first place spot. That's why I take breaks from this otherwise amazing site.
    Steel City Mafia
    So Cal Boss (Ret)

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

How long have we been saying that about Sutton? It’s obvious the front office ( by there non actions) feel that way but we’ll see if Sutton can make it out of camp / preseason healthy.
    Well if Sutton gets reps at camp on the back end I'll let you know.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Iron City Inc. View Post
    Well if Sutton gets reps at camp on the back end I'll let you know.
    Looking forward to your Latrobe reports, IC. Always a major offseason highlight.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Djfan View Post
    I will be the first to sing the Tomlin Polka if he gets it together. Go Steelers
    Dj.....we want to "incentivize" him to "get it together", not "threaten" a polka serenade by you which would surely motivate him to throw games.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Legend

User Info Menu

Tomlin ‘Comfortable’ With Depth At Safety, Citese Versatility Of Hilton, Sutton To Play There

By Matthew Marczi
    Posted on April 28, 2019

With nine picks in the 2019 NFL Draft, the Pittsburgh Steelers had the opportunity to address almost every position on the roster, and they only doubled up on one position, taking inside linebacker Ulysees Grant III after adding Devin Bush in the first round. If there is one glaring omission that was not addressed, however, it would have to be safety, where the team only has four players on the roster who are true to the position, all returning from last season’s roster.

Understandably, Head Coach Mike Tomlin was asked about that after the draft and whether he was comfortable with the names and numbers they have at the position that allowed them to exit the draft without adding additional personnel to the spot.

“We’ll allow those guys to sort themselves out”, he said. “We’re comfortable with the number of people that we have working”. The Steelers return starters Sean Davis and 2018 first-round pick Terrell Edmunds, as well as veteran Jordan Dangerfield and second-year Marcus Allen.

Prior to that question, Tomlin specifically discussed Allen, a fifth-round pick on whom the team was rather high in the pre-draft process, and mentioned that he is a primary candidate to work into some sub-package play in 2019 as the dimebacker. In following up the previous remarks, he also brought up the position flexibility they believe they have in the secondary, specifically referencing Mike Hilton and Cameron Sutton.

“We’re also comfortable with the versatility of some of the corners. You’ve seen Cam Sutton play some safety. You’ve seen Mike Hilton play safety on our football team in the past”, Tomlin said. “I’m sure there are others who are capable as well. So, we’re comfortable, not only with our numbers, but with the flexibility of others that may not be quote on quote safeties”.

Brian Allen, heading into his third year, is another potential candidate to work at safety that has been kicked around in the past. But Hilton and Sutton have worked there in practice. Hilton even at one point last season hinted that he would be the second-string free safety, over Morgan Burnett, if Davis were to suffer an injury.

So the Steelers exit the primary roster-building portion of the offseason without addressing an area in which they are thin on paper, yet nonetheless they express confidence in both the names and numbers they have available to them.

It’s also worth noting that the defensive backs that they got from the Alliance of American Football, Jack Tocho and Kameron Kelly, are safety-capable, and given the makeup of the roster there’s a reasonable chance they will get the opportunities to work there.

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/04/to...to-play-there/