Thread: Pittsburgh Steelers ink Antonio Brown to 5 year 42.5 million dollar extension

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    Overreact much?

Try reading the post before jumping off a cliff...

Or, perhaps I'll restate my position (again):

First: Numbers aren't everything. If they were, the Steelers would have won the SB with their #1 ranked defense...

Second: If Mike Wallace wants $10+ million per year and however much guaranteed money, he needs to freaking dominate...all the time...if people were hard on LaMarr Woodley and Lawrence Timmons last year, then there would be a contract on Mike Wallace's life if he was paid a huge contract and then played like he did in the last 8 games and the playoffs...

There is no doubt that Mike Wallace has all the speed you could ask for in a player...but, for the kind of contract he wants, I need more than speed...

Brown didn't get exactly the same offer as Wallace...Wallace was given a better offer still...one I feel was a fair contract at this stage of his career...he didn't feel that way...

Perhaps he will change his mind...that would be nice...

I'm just saying that, for me, $10+ million is overpaying for a pretty good player or a decoy...for that kind of bank, he needs to be HoF caliber for 60 minutes, 16 games and the playoffs...
    Well, fortunately Mike Wallace is about a lot more than simply speed. Watch his highlight film and you'll see that very quickly. $10 Mil+ wouldn't be for a decoy, it would be for a Pro-Bowl receiver that makes the whole Offense better when he's on the field. It would be for a guy that opposing D's have to account for any time he's on the field for fear that he might get behind them.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar View Post
    Well, fortunately Mike Wallace is about a lot more than simply speed. Watch his highlight film and you'll see that very quickly. $10 Mil+ wouldn't be for a decoy, it would be for a Pro-Bowl receiver that makes the whole Offense better when he's on the field. It would be for a guy that opposing D's have to account for any time he's on the field for fear that he might get behind them.
    $$

some people make it sound like he's dwight stone. there's plenty of fast guys in the league or trying to get in the league. yet,we dont see them put up the stats wally has

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar View Post
    Unfortunately there isn't $10M per year to pay Wallace so it is a moot point what he is worth.

It is a simple dynamic:

A. Mike, do you want to remain a member of the Steelers? If so, get t camp and sign a similar contract to Antonio Brown.

B. Mike, do you want $10M per year more than you want to stay a member of the Steelers? If so, see you sometime this season and good luck in free agency.

It's not hard and it is totally up to Wallace. All this constant repeating of what he does, how good he is. how he makes others better, etc. etc, is meaningless because the money is the money. Wallace just needs to pick A or B and it is done.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"