Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: It's Steeler week on NFL Network.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

When they instituted the Mel Blount rule, TB flourished. Examples being his 2 MVP SB wins in XIII and XIV. As Terry mentioned in one of the interviews- he and Joe Montana are the only ones who can sit down at the same table and talk about their SB rings, because all of the other 'great' QB's lost a SB along the way..... Elway, Brady, Manning, etc. He came through in the clutch and helped the team win each of those 4 SB's. 4-0 baby.
    6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

2012 MNF Executive Champion

Legend

User Info Menu

Don't forget that Noll thought TB was not all that at times. Remember that TB and Hanraty (sp?) were traded in and out in the early 70s.
    Steel City Mafia
    So Cal Boss (Ret)
    [URL]http://www.anewsong.com[/URL]

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    I wouldn't go quite that far...the Ngata broken nose thing is still legendary....
    Google "Joe 'Turkey' Jones hit on Terry Bradshaw" and watch that play and then tell me how bad the love tap on Ben's nose was.

Pappy

The 2024 Pittsburgh Steeler draft

1.20 - Troy Fautanu, T, Washington
    2.51 - Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia
    3.84 - Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan
    3.98 - Payton Wilson, LB, UNC
    4.119 - Mason McCprmick, OG, S. Dakota St
    7.178 - Logan Lee, DT, Iowa
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sick beats View Post
    Do me a favor and actually watch a full game of TB's, not just the highlights. If Ben played that poorly, we'd be screaming for him to be shipped out of town. I know it was a different era, etc. But if you actually watch an entire game with TB, you will be surprised how awful he looks for most of his passing attempts. He often tried to force balls into coverage, threw the ball too hard, giving the receiver little hope in making the catch, etc.
    I went to almost every game from 1972 through 1979, so I got to see first hand how "bad" Bradshaw was and there were games that were bad, but there were more games where he was great and more than anything, when the team needed him, he played his best. I may wish to remember the good and not the bad, but at least I'm talking from experience.

Pappy

7.195 -

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Djfan View Post
    Don't forget that Noll thought TB was not all that at times. Remember that TB and Hanratty (sp?) were traded in and out in the early 70s.
    Joe Gilliam as well, Bradshaw's early career was a train wreck, but at the end of the day, I was glad he was the Steeler quarterback. I had faith that he would be able to win games and he did.

Pappy

7.195 -

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pfelix73 View Post
    When they instituted the Mel Blount rule, TB flourished. Examples being his 2 MVP SB wins in XIII and XIV. As Terry mentioned in one of the interviews- he and Joe Montana are the only ones who can sit down at the same table and talk about their SB rings, because all of the other 'great' QB's lost a SB along the way..... Elway, Brady, Manning, etc. He came through in the clutch and helped the team win each of those 4 SB's. 4-0 baby.
    Thank you FELIX!!

It was night and day when the rules were changed. It was a different era then. It was a run first pass second league. But, There was NO ONE in Brad's league in 1978 and 1979. Not even close. He had like 28 TD passes in 1979 (unheard of in those days). Granted, he did throw around 26 picks that year. The team simply did not care, they were THAT good in all phases of the game.

But man, the guy was a Prime time player pure and simple. And what made him great was his ability to call his own plays and hand off to a pissed off Franco Harris for a TD in SB XIII. That's a true field general and WINNER.

And let's not forget Terry could run when needed.

I just don't get how this turned into a bash #12 thread. Said OP is getting kinda old around here. Damn, now I AM pissed.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    I went to almost every game from 1972 through 1979, so I got to see first hand how "bad" Bradshaw was and there were games that were bad, but there were more games where he was great and more than anything, when the team needed him, he played his best. I may wish to remember the good and not the bad, but at least I'm talking from experience.

Pappy
    Thanks Pappy. A voice of reason from someone who was lucky enough to be there. I was too young and could only watch on TV and later thru the invention of the DVD player.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    Google "Joe 'Turkey' Jones hit on Terry Bradshaw" and watch that play and then tell me how bad the love tap on Ben's nose was.

Pappy
    I've seen that play...many times, unfortunately...it could have killed TB...

But, IIRC, TB didn't come back in the game and win it...

That's all I'm saying...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    I've seen that play...many times, unfortunately...it could have killed TB...

But, IIRC, TB didn't come back in the game and win it...

That's all I'm saying...
    LOL.... ok, I guess that makes a little sense. My Dad told me stories about TB looking dead on the field a few times and coming back in the second half to win the game.
    Last edited by feltdizz; 03-21-2014 at 06:40 AM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    LOL.... ok, I guess that makes a little sense. My Dad told me stories about TB looking dead on the field a few times and coming back in the second half to win the game.
    If I recall correctly, he missed the rest of that game and possibly the next with a concussion and sprained neck.

Pappy

7.195 -