Thread: If the Steelers draft Warmack then.....

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Administrator

User Info Menu

How many teams in the NFL have an o-line that consists entirely of 1st and 2nd round picks?

We will....

If Starks is not resigned and Gilbert starts at LT (which is the rumor) and we draft Warmack.

The problem?

We don't have a legit starting running back.

We have a QB that will still take to long to throw the ball and will probably get hurt in the process.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    How many teams in the NFL have an o-line that consists entirely of 1st and 2nd round picks?

We will....

If Starks is not resigned and Gilbert starts at LT (which is the rumor) and we draft Warmack.

The problem?

We have a QB that will still take to long to throw the ball and will probably get hurt in the process.
    I have no problem with having a line consisting of first and second round picks. If we landed Fisher for LT though we would have 4 out of 5 being 1st or 2nd round picks with Beachum at LG being a 7th round pick. The STeelers have sucked at drafting and identifying guys in the trenches that can play some damn football after round 2.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    I have no problem with having a line consisting of first and second round picks. If we landed Fisher for LT though we would have 4 out of 5 being 1st or 2nd round picks with Beachum at LG being a 7th round pick. The STeelers have sucked at drafting and identifying guys in the trenches that can play some damn football after round 2.
    I am not saying that I disagree with that. But do you fix the underlying problem which appears to be:

1) The teaching and development of o-line and d-line
    2) Talent evaluation at the o-line / d-line position. I think it has less to due with #2 and more to do with #1.

Or do you sacrifice every other position on the team because of #1 and/or #2. I'd prefer to fix the underlying problem myself instead of neglecting the rest of the team.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I am not saying that I disagree with that. But do you fix the underlying problem which appears to be:

1) The teaching and development of o-line and d-line
    2) Talent evaluation at the o-line / d-line position. I think it has less to due with #2 and more to do with #1.

Or do you sacrifice every other position on the team because of #1 and/or #2. I'd prefer to fix the underlying problem myself instead of neglecting the rest of the team.
    I would say it is mostly the players themselves. Kemoeatu was a moron. Colon is a walking injury. Foster seems fairly solid. Urbik should of remained a Steeler.

Everything I read about Kugler was that the players loved the guy and he was a great coach. Not real sure what to think about the DL because we have had Keisel-Smith-Hampton forever.....maybe Heyward and Hood will turn into solid players for us.

Legend

User Info Menu

We will....

The problem?

It doesn't matter where they were picked the day after the draft. What matters is the performance on the field. Right now we aren't getting that and if it means we have to add more talent then chock that up as a lesson learned and fix the problem. Don't ignore real problems or minimalize them because of who and when we drafted in the past---it is still a problems for any number of reasosn: injuries, coaching, etc.

According to that logic we shouldn't draft another defensive lineman in Round 1 or 2 for at least a few more years. That is just crazy logic to me.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    It doesn't matter where they were picked the day after the draft. What matters is the performance on the field. Right now we aren't getting that and if it means we have to add more talent then chock that up as a lesson learned and fix the problem. Don't ignore real problems or minimalize them because of who and when we drafted in the past---it is still a problems for any number of reasosn: injuries, coaching, etc.

According to that logic we shouldn't draft another defensive lineman in Round 1 or 2 for at least a few more years. That is just crazy logic to me.
    It's not crazy logic. It does matter where they got picked especially when you drafted a Guard and OT 1st and 2nd last year. If they think DeCastro is a bust then yea... draft Warmack.

Warmack won't be the pick. As JPN said... it doesn't make sense for the future of this team. What happens when these guys are due their 2nd (most lucrative) contracts. This brings me back to my original post... Let's say they all turn out to be good starters. You can't sign all of them. So, the team is just wasting these picks (1st and 2nd rounders) knowing that they'll only be on the team for their rookie contracts. Thats basically wasting a pick.