Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Hood at NT

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Hood can play NT if he needs to but I believe Woods gets the nod as the starter when Kiesel returns. To late in the game. Fangupo will back Woods up. Hoods does look better rushing the QB from the inside. He was getting good push & beat the G & C on some plays. If McClendon heads to IR I would think Arnfelt gets called up to add a body to the DL rotation.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MicroBioSteel View Post
    Was it me or did our pass rush instantly get an upgrade when McClendon went down and Hood took over at NT? If it turns out that Hood is a good NT that will be "the straw that breaks the camels back" in terms of my trust in our talent evaluation/coaching staff. It seems like there has been multiple misjudgements of talent on our team.
    I was watching what kind of lineup we had after McClendon went down. We went to a 4-3 with the first couple of snaps. Worilds, Hood, Heyword, Jones as the down linemen. Garvin, Timmons and Williams as the LBs and then 4 DBs. Williams came off the field and Allen came on for a 4-2-5 Nickel. When we went with a 3-4 it was Woods in at NT. Hebron Fangupo also had some playing time later in the game.
    LETS GO MOUNTAINEERS!
    Here We Go Steelers!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by calmkiller View Post
    I was watching what kind of lineup we had after McClendon went down. We went to a 4-3 with the first couple of snaps. Worilds, Hood, Heyword, Jones as the down linemen. Garvin, Timmons and Williams as the LBs and then 4 DBs. Williams came off the field and Allen came on for a 4-2-5 Nickel. When we went with a 3-4 it was Woods in at NT. Hebron Fangupo also had some playing time later in the game.
    Wow. Garvin got snaps with defense? I didn't catch that.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    Wow. Garvin got snaps with defense? I didn't catch that.

He has had some snaps in the Dime as well this year. You have to remember he played Safety at WVU. It wasn't until his Senior year at WVU that he moved into what I think they called a Bandit Safety, which that year was a S/LB Hybrid.
    LETS GO MOUNTAINEERS!
    Here We Go Steelers!

Legend

User Info Menu

Al Woods looked pretty good in there.
    One thing i noticed is he lined up deeper off the LOS when over the center.

Starter

User Info Menu

If we get a chance to see Woods and Fangupo play this week, we might find we have a decent future for our DL. Assuming Hood leaves as a FA next year (he is in a contract year, right). Without Hood and a little good luck injury-wise (when have we had that recently?), we could have DE's Heyward, Keisel, McClendon (move to DE), N. Williams and Arnfeldt, and Woods and Fangupo manning NT, we add D.Shelton as a true space-eating NT in Round 3, and maybe even J. Mauro as a DE in Rd 6. I think that's not a bad future--with some good competition.

Legend

User Info Menu

I'm all for Hood playing at "NT" next year.

That is if NT stands for: New TEAM

He did alright great. If he wasnt a first rounder we would have given up on him already.
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 11-25-2013 at 08:50 PM.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post

He did alright great. If he wasnt a first rounder we would have given up on him already.
    That's pretty funny bro

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post

It is also humorous, people thinking that we've simply missed the boat... that it is a simple switch of positions or sides that will salvage this ham & egger. If he was a very good 4-3 DT, wouldn't we have put him in that situation during passing situations, and watched him go Geno Atkins over the league? Of course we would.

It isn't the side, or the scheme... he's just not very good.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post

It is also humorous, people thinking that we've simply missed the boat... that it is a simple switch of positions or sides that will salvage this ham & egger. If he was a very good 4-3 DT, wouldn't we have put him in that situation during passing situations, and watched him go Geno Atkins over the league? Of course we would.

It isn't the side, or the scheme... he's just not very good.
    Agree completely. He's played as the inside rusher in passing downs quite a bit in previous seasons, and he never generated any real consistent pressure in the middle.

He has a great work ethic and seems to be a solid citizen, but the reality is that he just isn't that good.