X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Woodson
    Banned
    • Jun 2024

28th scoring O in 2023 shouldn't be hard to top

Yea they may have been 28th in scoring (out of 32) but they were 25th in O yardage. Either way, with the changes we should be able to settle in around 20th in scoring in 2024? Would that be asking too much? If we could attain a top 20 scoring O. it could be meaningful. Add in a top 15 in yardage and we could become a regular Don "Air" Coryell offense! Look out.

OK, I may be getting out of control now. Let's say we go from 28th in scoring to 22nd. And top 20 in yards. It could still help out immensely.
  • Joel Buchsbaum
    Legend
    • Jan 2021

The low bar for the Offense has been set. We will improve from the 28th spot in scoring...I hope. How much reamins to be seen as we have new players at OL, QB, and WR and of course an new Offensive Coordinator. We will be a little bit better, but we need to be realistic. We need a quarterback.
    Tomlin hasn't won a playoff game in seven years and counting. The earliest will be eight years. I guess that in Art Rooney's II, opinion is worth a 3 year extension.

Our 2024 draft looks to be grade A. Our 2023 draft is an A. The roster is talented, but Mike Tomlin is still the head coach.

*** Mike Tomlin is the best coach since the AFL- NFL merger that has not won a playoff game in 8 seasons or more. It's either him or Lewis. ***

Comment

• Woodson
      Banned
      • Jun 2024

Originally posted by Joel Buchsbaum
      The low bar for the Offense has been set. We will improve from the 28th spot in scoring...I hope. How much reamins to be seen as we have new players at OL, QB, and WR and of course an new Offensive Coordinator. We will be a little bit better, but we need to be realistic. We need a quarterback.
      The QB we added has been to two SBs and won one (and should have damn well won the other, had the head coach not had a brain fart). But he is older now, mid-30s, at an age where QBs used to become useless. But with the advent of the 40-something Brady still getting it done, the rules have blurred somewhat, although how completely they've blurred I'm not so sure. But Russ' 26 TDs thrown was more than all 3 of our QBs in 2023 (13 TDs, sigh). Although some will point out that his collection of WRs was better than Pgh trots out this year. We have a vastly immature Pickens and what else? Who?

We MUST have a better OC than Canada, who hasn't "caught on" with any other NFL team, thus far, shocking, Tomlin. And in time, we have more talent on the OL, finally. And, the upper mng. should have put Tomlin in his place more, as far as the offense goes ("should have" is no guarantee, however). All of this "should" move us up a few notches on offense. When you're 28th in scoring, you've got lots of room to move up.

Comment

• Woodson
        Banned
        • Jun 2024

I got news for Tomlin and his "all defense" strategy and pay system. We have THE most expensive D in the NFL. And the CHEAPEST offense in the NFL. We are getting back what we put in. In 2007, our offense was 9th in ranking and in scoring. 9th. Not 28th. Oh, and we happened to win it all that year. And we happened to have a a top 10 scoring offense. Now, firmly under Tomlin's direction, we are 28th in scoring, and haven't won a playoff game in 7 years.

Comment

• WindyCitySteel
          Legend
          • Nov 2011

Originally posted by Woodson
          I got news for Tomlin and his "all defense" strategy and pay system. We have THE most expensive D in the NFL. And the CHEAPEST offense in the NFL. We are getting back what we put in. In 2007, our offense was 9th in ranking and in scoring. 9th. Not 28th. Oh, and we happened to win it all that year. And we happened to have a a top 10 scoring offense. Now, firmly under Tomlin's direction, we are 28th in scoring, and haven't won a playoff game in 7 years.
          It's just veterans vs. first contract guys. Lots of draft pedigree on offense, though. 4/5 OL, TE, QB, RB first or second round picks.

Comment

• NorthCoast
            Legend
            • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Woodson
            Won it all in 2007? I must've missed that one. In 2008 they were 20th in scoring and #1 in defense and won it all. Is that the example you were looking for?

Tell me the last time the Steelers won a SB without a top defense?

Comment

• WindyCitySteel
              Legend
              • Nov 2011

Originally posted by NorthCoast
              Tell me the last time the Steelers won a SB without a top defense?
              They sucked in 1979, by Steel Curtain standards

74: 2nd
              75: 2nd
              78: 1st
              79: 5th
              05: 3rd
              08: 1st

Comment

• Woodson
                Banned
                • Jun 2024

I should have known: we were a Tomlin team by 2008, of course we weren't high in offense. But we were 20th, not 28th. Big difference. And that was when we still had a functioning LeBeau defense, not this monstrosity Tomlin crap.

Comment

Working...