X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Woodson
    Banned
    • Jun 2024

Someone finnaly said it: 2024 has weak DL

The Pittsburgh Steelers will enter this year’s training camp a better team than they were last year. Their quarterback play should be better (it can’t possibly be worse), and they overhauled their offensive line, upgraded their linebacker room, and will have a new-look offense.

All we did was add a later-draft rookie to the DL (Lee), but we are hurting there. Cam is spending his time being a cry baby, Larry O is nearing his end and Benton can't handle the entire DL by himself. Other than that, ham and eggers Leal, Adams, Fehoko, Loudermilk, Lowry, Slade. Dear gad, my oh my.
  • Captain Lemming
    Legend
    • Jun 2008

Originally posted by Woodson
    https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/artic...17198_40591976

All we did was add a later-draft rookie to the DL (Lee), but we are hurting there. Cam is spending his time being a cry baby, Larry O is nearing his end and Benton can't handle the entire DL by himself. Other than that, ham and eggers Leal, Adams, Fehoko, Loudermilk, Lowry, Slade. Dear gad, my oh my.
    I predict right now that we will have an EXCELLENT run defense which with solidify my long standing belief that the quality of our LINEBACKERS matter more than our line.
    sigpic

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Comment

• Woodson
      Banned
      • Jun 2024

Originally posted by Captain Lemming
      I predict right now that we will have an EXCELLENT run defense which with solidify my long standing belief that the quality of our LINEBACKERS matter more than our line.
      When someone like Hall of Famer Ray Lewis comments on the quality of the DL affecting LB play, I'll listen to him over you any day.

Comment

• feltdizz
        Legend
        • May 2008

lmao.. if only it was that easy.
        Giants 10
        Steelers 31

Comment

• Joel Buchsbaum
          Legend
          • Jan 2021

https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/artic...17198_40591976

I have hope for Lee to be a + run defender as a rookie in the rotation. Benton is going to be a force at a DT! Heyward will still be solid if healthy. But outside of the names motioned we have a bunch of guys at Defensive Line and can not afford an injury to Benton.

The unit is okay because the Steelers use Watt and Highsmith as Ends. Watt is a super star A + player A in his prime and Highsmith is a A- pass rusher and decent run defender.

We could use a good 3 technique DT or 5 Technique DL for next year's draft for sure.
          Tomlin hasn't won a playoff game in seven years and counting. The earliest will be eight years. I guess that in Art Rooney's II, opinion is worth a 3 year extension.

Our 2024 draft looks to be grade A. Our 2023 draft is an A. The roster is talented, but Mike Tomlin is still the head coach.

*** Mike Tomlin is the best coach since the AFL- NFL merger that has not won a playoff game in 8 seasons or more. It's either him or Lewis. ***

Comment

• NorthCoast
            Legend
            • Sep 2008

Hard to be balanced on both run and pass defense. Ask the two SB teams from last season.
            Most NFL teams are pass first offenses so it makes sense to focus on stopping that.

To the OP, I'm sure the Steelers recognize they have DL issues, especially with Heyward another year older. But you can't fix everything in one draft.

Stay tuned......

Comment

• Woodson
              Banned
              • Jun 2024

Originally posted by NorthCoast
              Hard to be balanced on both run and pass defense. Ask the two SB teams from last season.
              Most NFL teams are pass first offenses so it makes sense to focus on stopping that.

To the OP, I'm sure the Steelers recognize they have DL issues, especially with Heyward another year older. But you can't fix everything in one draft.

Stay tuned......
              You can't fix EVERYTHING in ONE draft, not to a unit allowed to decay for so long with such inept drafting as we got with Colbert and Tomlin, that is for sure. Hopefully OL was finally fixed after years of abandonment. Now it the D line and DBs turns plus WR this draft. (And of course we could likely be looking at finding a QB.)

Our hands are full. We need:

1. QB, one way or another.
              2. DL, more than 1 needed, replacements for Cam, Larry O just off the top.
              3. #2 WR, maybe even a #1 by 2025.
              4. We most likely need a CB to play opposite JPJ.

5 players needed in 7 draft picks. Even that is pretty much impossible.
              Last edited by Woodson; 07-11-2024, 12:56 PM.

Comment

• Joel Buchsbaum
                Legend
                • Jan 2021

You can't fix EVERYTHING in ONE draft, not to a unite allowed to decay for so long with such inept drafting as we got with Colbert and Tomlin, that is for sure. Hopefully OL was finally fixed after years of abandonment. Now it the D line and DBs turns plus WR this draft. (And of course we could likely be looking at finding a QB.)

Our hands are full. We need:

1. QB, one way or another.
                2. DL, more than 1 needed, replacements for Cam, Larry O just off the top.
                3. #2 WR, maybe even a #1 by 2025.
                4. We most likely need a CB to play opposite JPJ.

5 players needed in 7 draft picks. Even that is pretty much impossible.
                There is always free agency. We need a top 14 QB and a good starting DL to replace Heyward away in my book. Oh and a new Head coach would do wonders, but such a talnt we will not be acquiring for at least two years.

The key to winning a super bowl are:

1. Franchise QB , well 95% of the time it is.

2. Head coach who is smart.

3. Great pass rusher.
                Tomlin hasn't won a playoff game in seven years and counting. The earliest will be eight years. I guess that in Art Rooney's II, opinion is worth a 3 year extension.

Our 2024 draft looks to be grade A. Our 2023 draft is an A. The roster is talented, but Mike Tomlin is still the head coach.

*** Mike Tomlin is the best coach since the AFL- NFL merger that has not won a playoff game in 8 seasons or more. It's either him or Lewis. ***

Comment

• Jooser
                  Legend
                  • Jul 2008

You spelled finally wrong
                  ​2019 MNFE CHAMPION

Comment

• Woodson
                    Banned
                    • Jun 2024

Only if Cam and Larry O play injury free and motivated and Benton continues his pace. THAT is the only way.

Comment

• Woodson
                      Banned
                      • Jun 2024

Originally posted by Joel Buchsbaum
                      There is always free agency. We need a top 14 QB and a good starting DL to replace Heyward away in my book. Oh and a new Head coach would do wonders, but such a talnt we will not be acquiring for at least two years.

The key to winning a super bowl are:

1. Franchise QB , well 95% of the time it is.

2. Head coach who is smart.

3. Great pass rusher.
                      With only a few exceptions (Tampa 2003, Balt. 2001 and 2013) no arguments.

Comment

Working...