Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: AFCN Title; Vegas Not A Believer

Legend

User Info Menu

Who cares, they predict us to finish last in the division every year. Also if you look at the Steelers versus Vegas on projected win totals over the past 10 years the Steelers are 7-3, best in the NFL.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by T.Ferguson View Post
    It's still a big question mark whether this overhaul is going to pan out. Just in general watching the Steelers play, the team hardly ever looks impressive in recent years, even the defense when it matters often comes up short. Wins are often a combination of bad play by the other team (like when Chubb was injured and Watson looked like he couldn't complete a pass for some reason, Lamar throwing an awful pass in the end zone for an INT) or just a bad team, key injuries (Burrow, Chubb, etc.) Watt playing out of his mind, weird/lucky bounces, etc. To put it simply a lot of unimpressive and at times fluky wins that goes beyond just a bad Steelers offense.

And I get the above happens to all teams but this seems to be the case most of the time with the Steelers, the team itself never really impresses that much (outside of Watt's play) imo and that's a problem and I think this was really evident last season in particular.
    Excellent point. It seems most NFL games are lost with bad play than they are won with good play.

Haven't looked at it but I am guessing the win margins across the league have narrowed in the last half decade as parity dominates.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.wizard View Post
    Who cares, they predict us to finish last in the division every year. Also if you look at the Steelers versus Vegas on projected win totals over the past 10 years the Steelers are 7-3, best in the NFL.
    Terrible coaching, obviously

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    This is where Tomlin's system is good to get to a base 8 wins. Unfortunately, it ends shortly after that. You can't hide the offense and win a Super Bowl anymore, heck we can's stay within one score of the good teams in the playoffs doing that.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by T.Ferguson View Post
    It's still a big question mark whether this overhaul is going to pan out. Just in general watching the Steelers play, the team hardly ever looks impressive in recent years, even the defense when it matters often comes up short. Wins are often a combination of bad play by the other team (like when Chubb was injured and Watson looked like he couldn't complete a pass for some reason, Lamar throwing an awful pass in the end zone for an INT) or just a bad team, key injuries (Burrow, Chubb, etc.) Watt playing out of his mind, weird/lucky bounces, etc. To put it simply a lot of unimpressive and at times fluky wins that goes beyond just a bad Steelers offense.

And I get the above happens to all teams but this seems to be the case most of the time with the Steelers, the team itself never really impresses that much (outside of Watt's play) imo and that's a problem and I think this was really evident last season in particular.
    This is the Tomlin system -- let teams beat themselves while avoiding the same. Good enough for 8 wins a year minimum, will never win a playoff game, let alone a championship.

Eventually the other team will be too good to beat themselves and you'll find yourself down by 2-3 scores and ask your O to do something they're not equipped for. But, it was a non-losing season, so "great coaching".

I love the SteelersDepot TOX stats -- Turnovers plus eXplosive plays are often the determining factor in winning football games, the Steelers only seem to want to solve half that puzzle.
    Last edited by WindyCitySteel; 06-16-2024 at 08:40 AM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    That is why always push back on the Tomlin criticism of not having won a playoff game in the past seven years. Tomlins teams generally over perform, and that is direct result of coaching. A much more fair criticism would be on talent evaluation.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    I have never been more confident that Vegas is wrong on this one. 11-6. Whatever that gets us in the division.
    Now that the draft is over and most of free agency I would say an 8-9 or 9-8 finish is most likely, but I will hold my official prediction until the 3rd pre-season game.

11-6 you say?! I highly doubt we win 11 games or more. But who am I to say, except that I will bet against that. A signature bet is offered to you. Terms the winner chooses the loser signature for until the next season starts. Read carefully terms. I predict a no thanks from you which tells me you really don't not believe in what you are saying.
    Tomlin hasn't won a playoff game in seven years and counting. The earliest will be eight years. I guess that in Art Rooney's II, opinion is worth a 3 year extension.

Our 2024 draft looks to be grade A. Our 2023 draft is an A. The roster is talented, but Mike Tomlin is still the head coach.

*** Mike Tomlin is the best coach since the AFL- NFL merger that has not won a playoff game in 8 seasons or more. It's either him or Lewis. ***

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.wizard View Post
    That is why always push back on the Tomlin criticism of not having won a playoff game in the past seven years. Tomlins teams generally over perform, and that is direct result of coaching. A much more fair criticism would be on talent evaluation.
    Based off of preseason predictions assuming 100% health across the league, which is not realistic. Expectations change during the course of a season. In which games last year did the Steelers overperform based on how both teams were constructed at the time?

They underperformed vs. SF, Hou, NE, AZ, Indy, and 2nd Browns game with DTR at QB. First two were just non-competitive, the other four you should have expected wins.
    Last edited by WindyCitySteel; 06-16-2024 at 10:28 AM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by WindyCitySteel View Post
    Based off of preseason predictions assuming 100% health across the league, which is not realistic. Expectations change during the course of a season. In which games last year did the Steelers overperform based on how both teams were constructed at the time?

They underperformed vs. SF, Hou, NE, AZ, Indy, and 2nd Browns game with DTR at QB. First two were just non-competitive, the other four you should have expected wins.
    +1 Yep.
    Tomlin hasn't won a playoff game in seven years and counting. The earliest will be eight years. I guess that in Art Rooney's II, opinion is worth a 3 year extension.

Our 2024 draft looks to be grade A. Our 2023 draft is an A. The roster is talented, but Mike Tomlin is still the head coach.

*** Mike Tomlin is the best coach since the AFL- NFL merger that has not won a playoff game in 8 seasons or more. It's either him or Lewis. ***

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by WindyCitySteel View Post

Why are you moving the goal posts I clearly said the Steelers over perform based on total win over unders. Now you want bring up individual games, why not individual plays? The point is that based on the Steelers talent that they have on their roster they finish with a higher win total than predicted better than any other team the past 10 years.