X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NorthCoast
    Legend
    • Sep 2008

Last Chance for Leal?

I'm not sure I can believe the hype. Leal hasn't shown much since he was drafted.

Steelers defensive coordinator Teryl Austin confirmed at minicamp that defensive lineman DeMarvin Leal is in phenomenal shape.

Teryl Austin Raves About Trajectory of DeMarvin Leal

? Charles LeClaire-USA TODAY Sports
    Pittsburgh Steelers defensive lineman DeMarvin Leal is looking for a bounce-back year in 2024. Leal fell out of favor last season, as he did not play 10 snaps in a game after Week 10. He wasn?t dressed at all for four of the team?s final five games.

Leal?s rookie year wasn?t statistically dominant, but he at least showed promise. Mike Tomlin put Leal on notice during his season-ending press conference in January.

?There certainly is, but he?s got to be a component of that,? Tomlin said when asked by Alan Saunders of Steelers Now if he still sees a place for Leal in the team?s future plans. ?Obviously, we put helmets on guys that we think are best positioned to help us secure victory and he hadn?t been a component of that. And so, he?s got some work to do.?
    It appears that Leal has responded to that message. Steelers defensive coordinator Teryl Austin said at minicamp on Wednesday that Leal?s on the right path after a down year.
    ?[Leal] was a little bit more up and down,? Austin said of Leal?s 2023 campaign. ?But [he?s] looked outstanding [this offseason].?
    Leal attributed last year struggles to poor conditioning and technique, according to an interview at OTAs in May with Christopher Carter of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.
    ?Technique, just working on my technique,? Leal told Carter. ?Making sure that I come back in better shape than I did last year and just making sure I?m technically sound. Feel like that?s the biggest thing coming off of this second year. Technique I feel is what was my downfall. So made sure I got with some defensive line coaches. Got together, and just came up with a plan and got to it.?

Austin confirmed at minicamp that Leal is in phenomenal shape. He expects a big year from the Texas A&M product.?Marv looks like he?s in great shape. Really runs through the ball. Really doing some good things. It?ll be a big year for him,? Austin said.In 2022, Leal played 1-4 snaps as an edge rusher, 20 snaps over the tackle as a 3-4 end and 43 snaps as an interior defensive lineman, according to PFF?s charting.Former Steelers outside linebacker Arthur Moats thinks Leal has Stephon Tuitt-like traits, but he has to display better technique.?He reminds me of Tuitt when I?m watching,? he said on the The Arthur Moats Experience With Deke podcast last month. ?And I loved Tuitt. He has everything to do it, he just needs to buckle down. I?m hoping [2023] was a wake up.

?I felt personally that him switching positions as much as it was happening, his technique when he was supposed to be back as an interior d-lineman wasn?t as crisp and fundamentally sound. You?ll see him penetrate at times and see him make a play, but when you?re trying to bump back in and do what you need to do, that pad level isn?t where it needs to be, and the hand placement isn?t where it needs to be.?
  • hackjam
    Starter
    • Sep 2021

I realize that the leash is shorter these days but Cam Heyward didn't start until year 3, Tuitt until year 2... If anyone is on a short leash it seems that it'd be Loudermilk...

Comment

• Northern_Blitz
      Legend
      • Dec 2008

Originally posted by hackjam
      I realize that the leash is shorter these days but Cam Heyward didn't start until year 3, Tuitt until year 2... If anyone is on a short leash it seems that it'd be Loudermilk...
      My guess is that we dressed Cam for most of the games he didn't play and that he was part of the rotation.

And the number snaps Cam played was probably trending upward as he moved toward starting.

The thing that's disappointing with Leal IMO is that it's not like the competition to get a helmet is super strong on this team.

Comment

• Iron City Inc.
        Hall of Famer
        • Jun 2013

Leal gets a last swing to get his game up to par or he could be taking that trip alone down route 30. He is in "show me" state right now. We'll just have to wait n see.
        Imo there is a very good chance we go DT in the 25 draft very early. A "Cam Heyward 2.0" next to Benton would be just what this team needs.
        Last edited by Iron City Inc.; 06-17-2024, 12:39 PM.

Comment

• Joel Buchsbaum
          Legend
          • Jan 2021

Unless injury hits, Leal is on his last chance with the Steelers.

He isn't a DT in 4 man fronts ,( he is a bit weak vs the run ) and as pass rusher barely showed value. He a tweener and needs to be either a goood rush end or a good run stopping DT.
          Last edited by Joel Buchsbaum; 06-14-2024, 06:06 PM.
          Tomlin hasn't won a playoff game in seven years and counting. The earliest will be eight years. I guess that in Art Rooney's II, opinion is worth a 3 year extension.

Our 2024 draft looks to be grade A. Our 2023 draft is an A. The roster is talented, but Mike Tomlin is still the head coach.

*** Mike Tomlin is the best coach since the AFL- NFL merger that has not won a playoff game in 8 seasons or more. It's either him or Lewis. ***

Comment

• WindyCitySteel
            Legend
            • Nov 2011

Originally posted by Iron City Inc.
            Leal gets a last swing to get his game up to par or he could be taking that trip alone down route 30. He is in "show me" state right now. We'll just have to wait n see.
            Imo there is a very good chance we go DT in the 25 draft very early. A "Cam Heyward 2.0" next to Benton would be just what this this team needs.
            This is how Weidl helped build Philly -- from the inside out. And they won't stop drafting them.

Comment

• steeler_fan_in_t.o.
              Legend
              • May 2008

Imo there is a very good chance we go DT in the 25 draft very early. A "Cam Heyward 2.0" next to Benton would be just what this this team needs.
              Agreed. I wouldn't have been at all surprised if they had draft DL in the first 3 rounds this year. I think they know that they need to replace Cam as a starter in '25.
              http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/k...to_Mike/to.jpg

Comment

• WindyCitySteel
                Legend
                • Nov 2011

He's the Calvin Austin of defense, flashes every Spring, THIS will be the year, but it never translates to the field.

Comment

• Oviedo
                  Legend
                  • May 2008

We should have been picking DL earlier the past two drafts
                  "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Comment

• LPMAN
                    Pro Bowler
                    • Sep 2021

Originally posted by Oviedo
                    We should have been picking DL earlier the past two drafts
                    We picked Benson in round 2 last year. If you take one any higher you don't have Fautanu or Jones.

Hopefully Heyward, Benson, Ogunjobi stay healthy this year & then we can draft a DE high next year to replace Heyward.

Comment

Working...