Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Who Hired All Our New Coaches?

Banned

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by LPMAN View Post
    Arthur Smith likes to throw short & run the ball. How is this much different from our last 4 seasons of offense?
    He directed TN to a Henry season of over 2,000 yards rushing and Brown of 70 catches for 1,000+ yards in 2020. I'm sure we would all accept that gladly in Pgh in 2024.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Depends on who works out and who doesn?t.

Bad one?s are all Tomlin
    Good one?s will be Rooney and Khan

Would be curious to know if we did change our philosophy in hiring coaches.
    The Steelers have had a revolving door on OC and DC. Tomlin is a big part about hiring his coaches. They are / were his guys.
    Tomlin hasn't won a playoff game in seven years and counting. The earliest will be eight years. I guess that in Art Rooney's II, opinion is worth a 3 year extension.

Our 2024 draft looks to be grade A. Our 2023 draft is an A. The roster is talented, but Mike Tomlin is still the head coach.

*** Mike Tomlin is the best coach since the AFL- NFL merger that has not won a playoff game in 8 seasons or more. It's either him or Lewis. ***

Banned

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Buchsbaum View Post
    The Steelers have had a revolving door on OC and DC. Tomlin is a big part about hiring his coaches. They are / were his guys.
    LeBeaue was a team hire, without Tomlin (done before Tomlin was here). Butler, the DC after DL, was a team (i.e. Rooney) hire. Tomlin had nothing to do with. Austin MAY have been a Tomlin hire but it was consistent with the "hire whoever was below the DC" move. Probably not a Tomlin hire. But Tomlin has his fingerprints all over the DC's role. He has forgotten all of the 3-4 elements, especially the dominant NT is the 3-4 D. He has forgot all about the dominant NT is the 3-4 D. Seemingly forever, which is why teams can run on us at will until we sacrifice the FS to stop the rush. And that FS happens to be the most expensive run stopper you can have. Brilliant Tomlin, way to go. Purely imbecilic.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woodson View Post
    LeBeaue was a team hire, without Tomlin (done before Tomlin was here). Butler, the DC after DL, was a team (i.e. Rooney) hire. Tomlin had nothing to do with. Austin MAY have been a Tomlin hire but it was consistent with the "hire whoever was below the DC" move. Probably not a Tomlin hire. But Tomlin has his fingerprints all over the DC's role. He has forgotten all of the 3-4 elements, especially the dominant NT is the 3-4 D. He has forgot all about the dominant NT is the 3-4 D. Seemingly forever, which is why teams can run on us at will until we sacrifice the FS to stop the rush. And that FS happens to be the most expensive run stopper you can have. Brilliant Tomlin, way to go. Purely imbecilic.
    A NT has to be good enough to command double teams otherwise you are risking gaps opening up for running lanes. In the college ranks these days, trying to find a NT that is stout enough for that role is very rare. They are bred for pass rushing, not run stuffing.

Banned

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    A NT has to be good enough to command double teams otherwise you are risking gaps opening up for running lanes. In the college ranks these days, trying to find a NT that is stout enough for that role is very rare. They are bred for pass rushing, not run stuffing.
    Without getting into specifics, Pgh has passed on many NT-types who could have fulfilled the role I'm talking about; Tomlin has shown no interest in them.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woodson View Post
    The Steelers were 18-1 with Hoke and defense suffered little when Casey was out as long as our linebackers were high caliber. Hoke was not close to being a dominant NT.

Casey was old and slow (2010) and mostly missed due to injury (2004) during the best run defenses of his career.

Casey Hampton is not the reason why a safety does not get a ton of tackles. I assure you he could not fix multiple linebacker injuries last season, or the likes of Joe Schubert, post injury Devon Bush, and Robert Spillane being the best we have on the inside. Those guys DONT MAKE THE TEAMS Casey played on much less start.
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 07-08-2024 at 03:33 AM.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    2023 Deep Ball Pass Att Rankings:

#20 - Falcons
    #28 - Steelers

What is open for debate is why did the deep ball passing change with the QBs?

Deep Ball Pass %

KP - 8.3%
    MT - 14.9%
    MR - 12.2%

(* in this case, deep ball = 20 yards or greater)
    Pickett lacked the arm and did not see guys breaking open very well. He has a slow internal clock and took too many sacks as well. Trubisky on the other hand had a great deep ball for the interception.

Rudoplh was a solid qb.
    Tomlin hasn't won a playoff game in seven years and counting. The earliest will be eight years. I guess that in Art Rooney's II, opinion is worth a 3 year extension.

Our 2024 draft looks to be grade A. Our 2023 draft is an A. The roster is talented, but Mike Tomlin is still the head coach.

*** Mike Tomlin is the best coach since the AFL- NFL merger that has not won a playoff game in 8 seasons or more. It's either him or Lewis. ***

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    The Steelers were 18-1 with Hoke and defense suffered little when Casey was out as long as our linebackers were high caliber. Hoke was not close to being a dominant NT.

Casey was old and slow (2010) and mostly missed due to injury (2004) during the best run defenses of his career.

Casey Hampton is not the reason why a safety does not get a ton of tackles. I assure you he could not fix multiple linebacker injuries last season, or the likes of Joe Schubert, post injury Devon Bush, and Robert Spillane being the best we have on the inside. Those guys DONT MAKE THE TEAMS Casey played on much less start.
    lmao.. such a silly post.

Casey made the pro bowl 5 times.

You keep using the first year with Ben as proof Casey wasnt an important part of that defense.

2004 was the year we were passing the ball 15 times a game and eating tons of clock because we had a clutch rookie QB and a bruising running game. We DOMINATED time of possession in 2004.

Pointing out the 18-1 season when Casey had FOUR PRO BOWLS AFTER 2004 just shows your bias and ignorance on this topic Cap.

How are you going to bash Casey for being old and slow at the END of his career? What player have we had for a decade or longer that wasn’t “old and slow” at the end of their career? How did you think that was a good argument to make?

ITS OKAY FOLKS, IN 2004 WE WENT 18-1 WITH CASEY ONLY PLAYING 6 GAMES. NOTHING ELSE TO SEE HERE!
    Last edited by feltdizz; 07-09-2024 at 08:58 AM.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Banned

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by WindyCitySteel View Post
    I think there's a good chance of it, they're going to do what they did in Tennessee. Young OL will take time to gel most likely, but this is an easy system for QBs to run and Wilson is probably at Ben 2020 level right now. Not in his prime, but still good.
    Unless the whole system is mucked up from Tomlin interference. Then we got problems.

Banned

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    I think it could also have been part of the negotiation to bring Smith in, which is the way things are normally done outside of Pittsburgh. Smith says that he will take the job, but he wants to being his WR and QB coaches with him. Tomlin/Khan/Rooney say they already have a QB coach, Smith says it's part of the package, we can keep your guy around, but I want my guy, team says ok.
    No matter what happened, we're still the smallest coaching staff in the NFL. No one ever said the Rooneys aren't cheap.