Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Who Hired All Our New Coaches?

Legend

User Info Menu

Who Hired All Our New Coaches?

I?ve been listening to interviews with coaches and players and am starting to be convinced these new coaches we hired this offseason are a major upgrade.

I?m getting vibes everyone is here and planning to win a SuperBowl.

I know it?s really early, but something major is in the works and this offseason feels really different.

Legend

User Info Menu

This writer at SteelersDepot says Tomlin, at least for Smith. Did he also then bring in Smith's QB and WR coaches?

https://steelersdepot.com/2024/06/br...medium=twitter

Legend

User Info Menu

My guess is that Tomlin was more involved with the hiring of Smith than the offensive assistants.

Presumably Smith would have been more involved with the assistants and then got buy off from the HC. Probably the owner has to buy off too, but presumably that's a formality in most places.

Seems like pretty much everyone who's been involved in the decision making process for things at the Steelers suggests that decisions are made collaboratively. Probably more involvement up the chain for more important decisions.

At least that's how I think a functional organization would work.

Legend

User Info Menu

Depends on who works out and who doesn’t.

Bad one’s are all Tomlin
    Good one’s will be Rooney and Khan

Would be curious to know if we did change our philosophy in hiring coaches.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Depends on who works out and who doesn?t.

Bad one?s are all Tomlin
    Good one?s will be Rooney and Khan

Would be curious to know if we did change our philosophy in hiring coaches.
    I heard interviews with our OC, QB, and WR coaches and these guys just all strike me as different and not the normal coaches we hire.

Then I?ve seen some of the Russ and Justin and Queen interviews and it?s like we have this whole new philosophy and new culture.

A lot of these guys just seem like Tomlin guys to me and mesh with his personality more than past players have.

And they got me wondering if Tomlin has been held back in the past and is having more influence now post Colbert? Was wondering if Tomlin quietly got himself more control without being public about it.

Something is definitely different.

Legend

User Info Menu

I like the WR coach. Seems like he's tough but fair. This group may surprise us.
    Help me find my post proving I am a Yinzer!

Find the post Ovi labeled me a troll!

We want to roll people!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Smith definitely seems to be a Tomlin hire, or at least he had a big hand in getting him. Lines up with exactly the kind of offense Tomlin wants it seems.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    I?ve been listening to interviews with coaches and players and am starting to be convinced these new coaches we hired this offseason are a major upgrade.

I?m getting vibes everyone is here and planning to win a SuperBowl.

I know it?s really early, but something major is in the works and this offseason feels really different.
    I'd think that when a team is making a hire like HC, OC, or DC, part of the interview is "who would you want to bring in with you?" especially with key roles such as WR and QB coach. Could you see the interview going "I'd like to bring in my own WR and QB coach" and the response being "but we already have those guys in place" or "no, we'll hire those guys for you"?

Legend

User Info Menu

Has to be Kahn. After all, he's the greatest GM of all time

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post

A lot of these guys just seem like Tomlin guys to me and mesh with his personality more than past players have.

And they got me wondering if Tomlin has been held back in the past and is having more influence now post Colbert? Was wondering if Tomlin quietly got himself more control without being public about it.

Something is definitely different.
    Blame the bad old coaches on the GM, credit the new good ones to the HC, and the board is silent. If the converse of that is posted, ten pages of angry replies follow.