X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • flippy
    Legend
    • Dec 2008

Who Hired All Our New Coaches?

I?ve been listening to interviews with coaches and players and am starting to be convinced these new coaches we hired this offseason are a major upgrade.

I?m getting vibes everyone is here and planning to win a SuperBowl.

I know it?s really early, but something major is in the works and this offseason feels really different.
    sigpic
  • WindyCitySteel
    Legend
    • Nov 2011

This writer at SteelersDepot says Tomlin, at least for Smith. Did he also then bring in Smith's QB and WR coaches?

Comment

• Northern_Blitz
      Legend
      • Dec 2008

My guess is that Tomlin was more involved with the hiring of Smith than the offensive assistants.

Presumably Smith would have been more involved with the assistants and then got buy off from the HC. Probably the owner has to buy off too, but presumably that's a formality in most places.

Seems like pretty much everyone who's been involved in the decision making process for things at the Steelers suggests that decisions are made collaboratively. Probably more involvement up the chain for more important decisions.

At least that's how I think a functional organization would work.

Comment

• feltdizz
        Legend
        • May 2008

Depends on who works out and who doesn’t.

Bad one’s are all Tomlin
        Good one’s will be Rooney and Khan

Would be curious to know if we did change our philosophy in hiring coaches.
        Giants 10
        Steelers 31

Comment

• flippy
          Legend
          • Dec 2008

Originally posted by feltdizz
          Depends on who works out and who doesn?t.

Bad one?s are all Tomlin
          Good one?s will be Rooney and Khan

Would be curious to know if we did change our philosophy in hiring coaches.
          I heard interviews with our OC, QB, and WR coaches and these guys just all strike me as different and not the normal coaches we hire.

Then I?ve seen some of the Russ and Justin and Queen interviews and it?s like we have this whole new philosophy and new culture.

A lot of these guys just seem like Tomlin guys to me and mesh with his personality more than past players have.

And they got me wondering if Tomlin has been held back in the past and is having more influence now post Colbert? Was wondering if Tomlin quietly got himself more control without being public about it.

Something is definitely different.
          sigpic

Comment

• Chucktownsteeler
            Legend
            • May 2008

I like the WR coach. Seems like he's tough but fair. This group may surprise us.
            Help me find my post proving I am a Yinzer!

Find the post Ovi labeled me a troll!

We want to roll people!

Comment

• T.Ferguson
              Pro Bowler
              • Sep 2021

Smith definitely seems to be a Tomlin hire, or at least he had a big hand in getting him. Lines up with exactly the kind of offense Tomlin wants it seems.

Comment

• steeler_fan_in_t.o.
                Legend
                • May 2008

Originally posted by flippy
                I?ve been listening to interviews with coaches and players and am starting to be convinced these new coaches we hired this offseason are a major upgrade.

I know it?s really early, but something major is in the works and this offseason feels really different.
                I'd think that when a team is making a hire like HC, OC, or DC, part of the interview is "who would you want to bring in with you?" especially with key roles such as WR and QB coach. Could you see the interview going "I'd like to bring in my own WR and QB coach" and the response being "but we already have those guys in place" or "no, we'll hire those guys for you"?
                http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/k...to_Mike/to.jpg

Comment

• NorthCoast
                  Legend
                  • Sep 2008

Has to be Kahn. After all, he's the greatest GM of all time

Comment

• WindyCitySteel
                    Legend
                    • Nov 2011

A lot of these guys just seem like Tomlin guys to me and mesh with his personality more than past players have.

And they got me wondering if Tomlin has been held back in the past and is having more influence now post Colbert? Was wondering if Tomlin quietly got himself more control without being public about it.

Something is definitely different.
                    Blame the bad old coaches on the GM, credit the new good ones to the HC, and the board is silent. If the converse of that is posted, ten pages of angry replies follow.

Comment

• LPMAN
                      Pro Bowler
                      • Sep 2021

Does anyone here really think Smith is going to be successful as our OC?

Comment

• Northern_Blitz
                        Legend
                        • Dec 2008

Originally posted by LPMAN
                        I think PPG will finally increase... But worth mentioning I've thought that the last few seasons

Comment

• NorthCoast
                          Legend
                          • Sep 2008

Originally posted by LPMAN
                          Define "successful".

Better than what the Steelers have had in the last 3 years? Yes. Superbowl worthy? That might be a stretch. It remains to be seen whether a 'run first' offense is really the way to build a championship team in the modern NFL.

Comment

• steeler_fan_in_t.o.
                            Legend
                            • May 2008

It is an interesting change in philosophy though, when you look back at all recent coordinators. The Steelers brought someone in from outside the organization, who brought in some of his own people as well.

The last time a coordinator was brought in from outside was Todd Haley in 2012, and I don't know if he brought any assistants with him, but I know that Fichtner was QB coach both before and after. Before that, you have to go back to Kevin Gilbride in 1999. Canada is a bit of a grey area as he was brought in a year before he took over the OC role as the QB coach, even though it was with the intent of him replacing Fichtner. However, he did not bring assistants with him, so not really a cultural change there.

On D you have to go back to Jim Haslett in 1996 to find a DC brought in from outside the organization - assuming you don't count the return of Lebeau in 2004.

The whole point is that when you keep promoting from within, it does bring stability, but it also means that players are hearing the same thing over and over, just with a different voice. When that message gets stale then stability is no longer a strength. It is refreshing to hear some of the comments being made by some of the players.
                            http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/k...to_Mike/to.jpg

Comment

• Captain Lemming
                              Legend
                              • Jun 2008

Originally posted by WindyCitySteel
                              Blame the bad old coaches on the GM, credit the new good ones to the HC, and the board is silent. If the converse of that is posted, ten pages of angry replies follow.
                              So true. No doubt the ONE COACH IN THE LEAGUE that ALREADY has succeeded with the exact same offensive philosophy as YOU WHINE Tomlin wants was not his choice.
                              sigpic

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
                              The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Comment

Working...