Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to solve the #2 WR problem?

Legend

User Info Menu

How to solve the #2 WR problem?

I think we can all agree that we have a major weakness at the #2 WR. I think we need to make a move, but not sure if we will. Off the top of my head without much research, here are my thoughts:s.

Internal solution: No true #2 on the roster. Really a bunch of #3 and #4 guys. While I'm a huge fan of using the TEs more, that isn't really solving the problem. If Pickens get hurt and misses time we have a real issue.

External solution:
    Trade--Lots of talk about trading. Here are my thoughts:
    1. The SF boys would both be too expensive in terms of trade capital and cap space...scratch them off the list.
    2. Courtland Sutton is my preferred choice because of the recent relationship with Wilson and how well they did together. IMO however, it is unlikely to happen because of Sean Peyton's ego. He would look like a fool if the combination of Wilson and Sutton had a great year and like I said he has too big an ego.
    3. Treylon Burks would be interesting and probably cheap but not sure he would be better than what we have.
    4. The one I recently saw that really interests me is Chris Godwin. I think this would be a Khan homerun to get him and a perfect fit for what we need.

Free agents--The only one I like is Hunter Renfroe but he would be another on many slot guys. If Michael Thomas could stay healthy, he'd be a solid add.

Thoughts?
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    I think we can all agree that we have a major weakness at the #2 WR. I think we need to make a move, but not sure if we will. Off the top of my head without much research, here are my thoughts:s.

Internal solution: No true #2 on the roster. Really a bunch of #3 and #4 guys. While I'm a huge fan of using the TEs more, that isn't really solving the problem. If Pickens get hurt and misses time we have a real issue.

External solution:
    Trade--Lots of talk about trading. Here are my thoughts:
    1. The SF boys would both be too expensive in terms of trade capital and cap space...scratch them off the list.
    2. Courtland Sutton is my preferred choice because of the recent relationship with Wilson and how well they did together. IMO however, it is unlikely to happen because of Sean Peyton's ego. He would look like a fool if the combination of Wilson and Sutton had a great year and like I said he has too big an ego.
    3. Treylon Burks would be interesting and probably cheap but not sure he would be better than what we have.
    4. The one I recently saw that really interests me is Chris Godwin. I think this would be a Khan homerun to get him and a perfect fit for what we need.

Free agents--The only one I like is Hunter Renfroe but he would be another on many slot guys. If Michael Thomas could stay healthy, he'd be a solid add.

Thoughts?
    Would love it if we could get Chris Godwin. Are the Bucs trying to shop him?

Legend

User Info Menu

I think they stand pat short term and wait for some camp cuts.
    Help me find my post proving I am a Yinzer!

Find the post Ovi labeled me a troll!

We want to roll people!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

We still have Patterson correct? We signed Scotty Miller. They both played for Arthur Smith. Who else have we picked up?

I don't think we will get any WR of significance.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by "BuzzNuter" View Post
    We still have Patterson correct? We signed Scotty Miller. They both played for Arthur Smith. Who else have we picked up?

I don't think we will get any WR of significance.
    I don't think either Patterson or Miller (or anyone else on the Steelers' roster) would be regarded as a true #2 WR.

However, in an offense that is heavily run-oriented, and seeks to utilize TEs as receivers more than most, it might not make a lot of sense to pay the $$$$ required (or give up the draft capital) to land a genuine #2.

Legend

User Info Menu

We just drafted our #2 WR.

I would be shocked if we signed anyone significant at WR.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

What is Santonio Holmes up to? Lol

Legend

User Info Menu

Sounds like we thought we had a draft day trade but it didnt go through.

We'll end up with a not great WR group this year. So we'll need the QB to elevate them.

Hopefully GP doesn't crack under all the defensive attention he'll face.

Legend

User Info Menu

I think some of yinz continue to underestimate Smith's use of TE's in his offense. Last season, ATL's #2 and #3 receivers were TE's Pitts and Smith. The #2 WR is actually the #4 receiver and he averaged 1.5 catches a game. Why do you think there is this urgent need to sign a "WR2"?

Btw, how do you define a WR2? I scanned team stats, and of course it varies from team to team, but the average "WR2" has maybe between 40 - 60 catches a season. But as I said, Smith values a good TE far more than an average WR2 in his offense.

With who they have on the roster, I see no strong need for the Steelers to be looking for more.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    I think some of yinz continue to underestimate Smith's use of TE's in his offense. Last season, ATL's #2 and #3 receivers were TE's Pitts and Smith. The #2 WR is actually the #4 receiver and he averaged 1.5 catches a game. Why do you think there is this urgent need to sign a "WR2"?

Btw, how do you define a WR2? I scanned team stats, and of course it varies from team to team, but the average "WR2" has maybe between 40 - 60 catches a season. But as I said, Smith values a good TE far more than an average WR2 in his offense.

With who they have on the roster, I see no strong need for the Steelers to be looking for more.
    We'll see if PF can play at that level and stay healthy. I hope so.