Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Art Smith has taken the offense by the reigns

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    I think that with DJ, his biggest fault is that his production doesn't match his skillset. He brings a package that is very similar to AB, and while Antonio turned that into one of the most productive receivers of his generation due to hard work and attitude, DJ has settled in as a fine 1B receiver. A team will tolerate crazy when you play like AB did, they will not when you don't come anywhere close.
    DJ isn't AB. But I think he would have been a lot better if he had quality QB play while he was year.

• Mason/Duck: 12 starts, 59 recs, 680 yards, 5 TDs. AP 2nd team. (18 passing TDs this season)
    • Ben 2020: 88 recs, 13 starts, 923 yards, 7 TDs (35 passing TDs this season)
    • Ben 2021: 107 recs, 14 starts, 1161 yards, 8 TDs. Probowl (don't know if this was a genuine selection or as alternate) (23 TDs total this season)
    • Mitch/Kenny 2022: 17 starts, 86 recs, 882 yards, 0 TDs. (we had 12 passing TDs this season)
    • Kenny/Mitch/Mason 2023: 11 starts, 51 recs, 717 yards, 5 TDs. (we had 13 total passing TDs in this season, so he had 38% of TDs on the team)

I think that's pretty good production for a guy who only had 2 years of reasonable QB play. He would never have been AB, but if QB play hadn't been bottom of the league for 3/5 of his seasons with the team, I think his stats would look better than they did IRL. He's a low end WR1 and was paid like it.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    DJ isn't AB. But I think he would have been a lot better if he had quality QB play while he was year.

• Mason/Duck: 12 starts, 59 recs, 680 yards, 5 TDs. AP 2nd team. (18 passing TDs this season)
    • Ben 2020: 88 recs, 13 starts, 923 yards, 7 TDs (35 passing TDs this season)
    • Ben 2021: 107 recs, 14 starts, 1161 yards, 8 TDs. Probowl (don't know if this was a genuine selection or as alternate) (23 TDs total this season)
    • Mitch/Kenny 2022: 17 starts, 86 recs, 882 yards, 0 TDs. (we had 12 passing TDs this season)
    • Kenny/Mitch/Mason 2023: 11 starts, 51 recs, 717 yards, 5 TDs. (we had 13 total passing TDs in this season, so he had 38% of TDs on the team)

I think that's pretty good production for a guy who only had 2 years of reasonable QB play. He would never have been AB, but if QB play hadn't been bottom of the league for 3/5 of his seasons with the team, I think his stats would look better than they did IRL. He's a low end WR1 and was paid like it.
    At times, DJ was his own worst enemy. His dropsies early in his career did him no favors. And he lacked the big plays that a true WR1 makes on occasion. It is fortunate that he is a good route runner because he isn't the best with contested catches. It'll be interesting to see how he does with a 'legit' franchise QB this season.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    At times, DJ was his own worst enemy. His dropsies early in his career did him no favors. And he lacked the big plays that a true WR1 makes on occasion. It is fortunate that he is a good route runner because he isn't the best with contested catches. It'll be interesting to see how he does with a 'legit' franchise QB this season.
    I think DJ will do well this year as a target underneath. That OL is meh so Young will need a quick WR who can get open fast and that is DJ’s bread and butter.

But I can also see him pouting and being an azz if they continue to lose games.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Legend

User Info Menu

If he catches it and runs in the right direction
    Help me find my post proving I am a Yinzer!

Find the post Ovi labeled me a troll!

We want to roll people!