Thread: Golden opportunity at QB

Legend

User Info Menu

Golden opportunity at QB

If you look at the difference between our QB room last year and this year, we have a real opportunity to improve offensives

Wilson and Fields combined for 42 passing TDs last year which equals 252 pts (not counting extra pts)

Our collective of journeymen combined for 13 TDs last year which equals 78 pts

That is a positive increase of 174 points.

Imagine if we scored 174 more points last year. 2024 is going to be a good year
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

God I hope so.

If we can get defense that's comparable to last year and regularly score 21+ points, we can be a good team.

I think we have a much harder schedule this year vs. last year. But I still think we can make the playoffs...though a hope playoff game is unlikely.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    God I hope so.

If we can get defense that's comparable to last year and regularly score 21+ points, we can be a good team.

I think we have a much harder schedule this year vs. last year. But I still think we can make the playoffs...though a hope playoff game is unlikely.
    Win the division and there will be a home playoff game. No team has been better in division play over the past five years and they only lost one game last year, so it's not like it's that unlikely. If it wasn't for losing games outside of the division they aren't supposed to lose each and every year, there might have been a couple of division titles and home playoff games in that time period. Maybe it's a good thing the team has a loaded schedule this year. Fewer chances to crap their pants.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    If you look at the difference between our QB room last year and this year, we have a real opportunity to improve offensives

Wilson and Fields combined for 42 passing TDs last year which equals 252 pts (not counting extra pts)

Our collective of journeymen combined for 13 TDs last year which equals 78 pts

That is a positive increase of 174 points.

Imagine if we scored 174 more points last year. 2024 is going to be a good year
    Unbelievably, the Steelers offense averaged 10 pts less per game than the average playoff team last year. So that 174 points you figured would get them to be an average playoff team. Gonna be interesting though with the far tougher schedule this season.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Flasteel View Post
    Win the division and there will be a home playoff game. No team has been better in division play over the past five years and they only lost one game last year, so it's not like it's that unlikely. If it wasn't for losing games outside of the division they aren't supposed to lose each and every year, there might have been a couple of division titles and home playoff games in that time period. Maybe it's a good thing the team has a loaded schedule this year. Fewer chances to crap their pants.
    I understand that winning the division would get us a playoff win. But sight unseen, we're the 3rd or 4th best team in the division. There's hope that we can be more...but there are a lot of important questions marks outstanding for this team. I'm an "I'll believe it when I see it" kind of guy.

My guess is also that no team played as many backup QBs in the division as we have over the last couple years.
    Last edited by Northern_Blitz; 05-26-2024 at 07:57 AM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Thought this video was interesting and fits with the OP (at least somewhat).

I don't know how cherry picked the highlights are.

If it's correct, it seems to support the idea that we still shouldn't expect a bunch of throws over the middle. We we'll still probably see a lot of team trying to take away the flat / sidelines.

I think the point about "he can be successful with a strong running game and deep shots on PA" is what we're going to try to do.

Even still, having a QB being able to run "only one" kind of offense seems like an upgrade over the last couple of seasons.

I believe that the best case scenario is having Fields emerge as the guy...but I think Wilson has the higher floor. And we're still probably going to be a team that relies more on the D than the O.

Aside: Interesting note at about 9 minutes about the problem with mirrored concepts. Says you can't really cycle between reads in this kind of play because the guys come open at the same time. I seem to remember hearing a lot (from that QB School channel?) about how we ran a ton of mirrored concepts.