Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Tomlin is everything you want in a coach

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Why is it lost on people that the ORGANIZATION does not see success or failure as a result of one person. The triumvirate of Rooney, Tomlin and Khan are in this together. That is how Rooney runs his business and how they always have or they would have fired Cowher for his losing season in the 90s. The Rooneys aren't into scapegoating head coaches or General manager. They never have and are unlikely to ever do it.

But by all means...keep beating that dead horse and making useless proclamations and emands.
    Says the guy who wanted Lebeau gone and hasn’t won anything since he left.

Its never one person. Which is why we have seen Lebeau, BA, Haley, Fitchner, Canada, Butler, Colbert, Munchak, etc all get let go from their duties over these last 8 years.

Eventually it will be Tomlin.

Itd not beating a dead horse, its finally admitting its time to put the horse out of its misery if we don’t see anything change this season.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    I think this may be true for some, but there isn't any evidence for it.

I don't think anyone on here thinks that Tomlin is the best coach in the league or that he doesn't have flaws.

But I also don't think it's his fault when someone like Pouncey snaps the ball 3 feet over Ben's head.
    its not Tomlin’s fault Pouncey snapped the ball over Ben’s head but the D giving up historic numbers lately is Tomlin’s fault. The team coming out unprepared for every playoff game the last 7 years is his fault.

I used to make tons of excuses for Tomlin but the 2 losses vs two 2-10 teams at home was it for me.

Hope he proves me wrong but he has been proving his haters right these last few years with these terrible performances vs bad teams. Its too predictable for it to be a coincidence.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Why is it lost on people that the ORGANIZATION does not see success or failure as a result of one person. The triumvirate of Rooney, Tomlin and Khan are in this together. That is how Rooney runs his business and how they always have or they would have fired Cowher for his losing season in the 90s. The Rooneys aren't into scapegoating head coaches or General manager. They never have and are unlikely to ever do it.

But by all means...keep beating that dead horse and making useless proclamations and emands.
    Useless proclamations and (I assume you mean) demands? What are you talking about Ovi? Are you trying to say that Tomlin is not ultimately responsible for the success of this team on the field? And that he would never be fired by Rooney regardless of any lack of success? Those three share in organizational decisions for sure. But when you acquire premium talent via free agency and the draft, the primary contributions of Khan and Rooney are checked-off. It's up to Tomlin to take that premium talent, bring in the right coaches, and put a championship-caliber team on the field.

I made a simple statement of how I feel towards Tomlin. Stating that ne needs to win some playoff game or he should be on the hot seat is not exactly making any demands. It's how I feel about the guy. There was no scapegoating or beating any dead horse either...I have no idea what you're talking about. I think Tomlin is one of the best coaches in the league. But ultimately you need to win some friggin' playoff games. He would probably step away before Rooney actually fired him, but I find your apparent position that there is no hot seat for Mike T to be absurd.

You have a 20-year history of being level-headed and rational, so I'm not sure what this overreaction is all about. All good though brother.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Flasteel View Post
    Useless proclamations and (I assume you mean) demands? What are you talking about Ovi? Are you trying to say that Tomlin is not ultimately responsible for the success of this team on the field? And that he would never be fired by Rooney regardless of any lack of success? Those three share in organizational decisions for sure. But when you acquire premium talent via free agency and the draft, the primary contributions of Khan and Rooney are checked-off. It's up to Tomlin to take that premium talent, bring in the right coaches, and put a championship-caliber team on the field.

I made a simple statement of how I feel towards Tomlin. Stating that ne needs to win some playoff game or he should be on the hot seat is not exactly making any demands. It's how I feel about the guy. There was no scapegoating or beating any dead horse either...I have no idea what you're talking about. I think Tomlin is one of the best coaches in the league. But ultimately you need to win some friggin' playoff games. He would probably step away before Rooney actually fired him, but I find your apparent position that there is no hot seat for Mike T to be absurd.

You have a 20-year history of being level-headed and rational, so I'm not sure what this overreaction is all about. All good though brother.
    Ovi campaigned heavy for firing Lebeau for YEARS and this was when we were winning playoff games

Just weird to bash folks when we aren’t winning playoff games like they are being unrealistic or delusional.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    I think this may be true for some, but there isn't any evidence for it.

I don't think anyone on here thinks that Tomlin is the best coach in the league or that he doesn't have flaws.

But I also don't think it's his fault when someone like Pouncey snaps the ball 3 feet over Ben's head.
    But there kinda is evidence for it at this point, the Steelers under Tomlin haven't won a playoff game in 7 seasons now. There is no other HC that has that kind of drought outside of Marvin Lewis, ie, any other HC would've been gone by now.

And that last sentence is just silly, come on. Yes, of course technically that play isn't his fault but the sum total of failures is ultimately on him, ie, no playoff wins now in 7 straight seasons. I mean when is it time to move on for some of you? Never? Whenever Tomlin is ready to go, to hell with the team?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by T.Ferguson View Post
    But there kinda is evidence for it at this point, the Steelers under Tomlin haven't won a playoff game in 7 seasons now. There is no other HC that has that kind of drought outside of Marvin Lewis, ie, any other HC would've been gone by now.

And that last sentence is just silly, come on. Yes, of course technically that play isn't his fault but the sum total of failures is ultimately on him, ie, no playoff wins now in 7 straight seasons. I mean when is it time to move on for some of you? Never? Whenever Tomlin is ready to go, to hell with the team?
    That isn't what the original post suggested though. The original post suggested that if Tomlin had 6 losing seasons in a row, people would be defending it.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.wizard View Post
    That isn't what the original post suggested though. The original post suggested that if Tomlin had 6 losing seasons in a row, people would be defending it.
    What's the difference though honestly, either way it's been no playoff wins. And to be more precise no competitive playoff games either.

Can anyone name any other NFL HC that has been the HC for one team for 7 straight seasons without a playoff win? Not counting Marvin Lewis...I'll wait...

Legend

User Info Menu

What's the difference though honestly, either way it's been no playoff wins. And to be more precise no competitive playoff games either.

Can anyone name any other NFL HC that has been the HC for one team for 7 straight seasons without a playoff win? Not counting Marvin Lewis...I'll wait...
    The difference is between being a team in contention every year versus not. If Tomlin had 6 losing seasons we wouldn't even be having this conversation because he wouldn't be here.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.wizard View Post
    The difference is between being a team in contention every year versus not. If Tomlin had 6 losing seasons we wouldn't even be having this conversation because he wouldn't be here.
    I don't know how anyone can watch this team for the last 7 seasons and think the team was in contention for a SB (I assume that's what you mean by contention) given how each season ended. Again, if Tomlin was the HC anywhere else we wouldn't be having this conservation either, he'd be gone by now. Losing record, winning record, again, each season ended the same regardless.

Legend

User Info Menu

I don't know how anyone can watch this team for the last 7 seasons and think the team was in contention for a SB (I assume that's what you mean by contention) given how each season ended. Again, if Tomlin was the HC anywhere else we wouldn't be having this conservation either, he'd be gone by now. Losing record, winning record, again, each season ended the same regardless.
    Anytime your in the playoffs you are in contention for a SB, making the playoffs is the only way you can possibly be in contention for SB. I still think judging coaches on single elimination tournaments is ridiculous. Now will Tomlin ultimately bare the responsibility for the playoff drought, yes but it won't be due to his ability to coach winning football.