Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Tomlin is everything you want in a coach

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Flasteel View Post
    There is nothing that can be said by anyone that will change the minds of those who are against Tomlin. I doubt even a Super Bowl win would change their minds. Most of them would say it was Khan's players or done somehow in spite of Tomlin. People too often refuse to abandon their convictions, regardless of the evidence presented to refute it. They will seek solace in the words and company of those who agree with them and embrace theories that support the narratives they have constructed - no matter how ridiculous the theory may be.
    The people who are just dead set against Tomlin are in the minority. Best to just ignore those people.

I've thoroughly enjoyed the first half of Tomlin's time here. But the latter half of his 17 years is getting stale for me. The standard is no longer the standard. We've become the joke of the playoffs. The team that all the news outlets report that we don't even belong in the wildcard spot. And we've generally gone on to prove them right, getting bounced in spectacular fashion.

I'm pulling for him to turn it around. But sometimes, it just becomes time for a change.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    I'm not sure I would want multiple losing seasons and get one game further in the play-offs. If it was a Super Bowl victory...maybe.
    This.

Obviously, I want us to have more success in the playoffs.

But knowing your season is over by week 10 must really suck.

Rookie

User Info Menu

There is nothing that can be said by anyone that will change the minds of those who are against Tomlin. I doubt even a Super Bowl win would change their minds. Most of them would say it was Khan's players or done somehow in spite of Tomlin. People too often refuse to abandon their convictions, regardless of the evidence presented to refute it. They will seek solace in the words and company of those who agree with them and embrace theories that support the narratives they have constructed - no matter how ridiculous the theory may be.
    The same could be said for people that love Tomlin. The Steelers could have 6 losing seasons in a row and they will still make any excuse possible to protect him.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by T.Ferguson View Post
    You forgot the asterisk *Not counting the playoffs in the last decade or so.
    Or against great opponents and terrible opponents. They fight well in their own class.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
    The same could be said for people that love Tomlin. The Steelers could have 6 losing seasons in a row and they will still make any excuse possible to protect him.
    Is that true? How could you know such a thing? The reason he can say that Tomlin haters would still hate him even if he won a Superbowl is because it has already happened. You are trying to play the "both sides are extreme" argument by putting up an extreme hypothetical, versus situations we already have seen play out.

Legend

User Info Menu

wrong SM.

people are already turning on him.

I’m a huge Tomlin fan and I’m ready for him to move on if he fails to get a playoff win this year and we aren’t back on. the SB hype train for next season.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eich View Post
    You can be BOTH "everything you want in a coach" and also "stale". 4 seasons out of 17 with a playoff win is smelling a little stale to me.

Is there any other organization in the history of the NFL that gives out that gigantic of a leash? I'd give up the winning record streak in a heartbeat to add more playoff wins in that 17 year span.
    Just a few things to ponder:

It?s almost hard to believe the Steelers experiencing any sort of postseason pain. But prior to becoming one of the most winningest franchises in the Super Bowl era, the Steelers only appeared in one playoff game from 1933-71, losing in a division tiebreaker to the Philadelphia Eagles in 1947.
    Teams can go on long spans of losing in the post season regardless of how many times they change HCs. But it sucks when it is your team;

Most Consecutive Playoff Losses (All Time)
    1. Detroit Lions, 9 Games (1992-2022)
    Has any American sports franchise tortured its fanbase quite like the Lions?

Despite having generational talents like Barry Sanders and Calvin Johnson, the Lions had not won an NFL playoff game since the 1991 divisional round. They finally ended that drought with a thrilling 24-23 win over the Los Angeles Rams in the 2023 wild-card round.

T-2. Kansas City Chiefs, 8 (1994-2014)
    The Chiefs have no issue winning postseason games these days. But before Andy Reid came to Kansas City, the Chiefs had a difficult time finding success in January. Four of their eight losses were by one possession.

T-2. Cincinnati Bengals, 8 (1991-2021)
    T-4. New York Giants, 6 Games (1939-50)
    T-4. Cleveland Browns, 6 (1970-86)
    T-4. Minnesota Vikings, 6 (1989-96)
    T-4. Seattle Seahawks, 6 (1984-2005)
    T-4. Dallas Cowboys, 6 (1997-2008 )
    T-4. Buffalo Bills, 6 (1996-2020)
    But ok, I get it. Tomlin talks about 'trusting the process', because he is a part of it. Sometimes the process needs to change if doing the same thing over and over again ends in the same result.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    wrong SM.

people are already turning on him.

I’m a huge Tomlin fan and I’m ready for him to move on if he fails to get a playoff win this year and we aren’t back on. the SB hype train for next season.
    Same here. I think Tomlin is one of the best coaches and leaders in the league. But the lack of playoff success over the past 7 seasons is wearing thin. He's ultimately responsible for that lack of success and should be sitting on a very hot seat if the team can't get past the wildcard round this year.

Legend

User Info Menu

Same here. I think Tomlin is one of the best coaches and leaders in the league. But the lack of playoff success over the past 7 seasons is wearing thin. He's ultimately responsible for that lack of success and should be sitting on a very hot seat if the team can't get past the wildcard round this year.

Why is it lost on people that the ORGANIZATION does not see success or failure as a result of one person. The triumvirate of Rooney, Tomlin and Khan are in this together. That is how Rooney runs his business and how they always have or they would have fired Cowher for his losing season in the 90s. The Rooneys aren't into scapegoating head coaches or General manager. They never have and are unlikely to ever do it.

But by all means...keep beating that dead horse and making useless proclamations and emands.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

I think this may be true for some, but there isn't any evidence for it.

I don't think anyone on here thinks that Tomlin is the best coach in the league or that he doesn't have flaws.

But I also don't think it's his fault when someone like Pouncey snaps the ball 3 feet over Ben's head.