Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Steelers tweaking Fields' mechanics

Legend

User Info Menu

I firmly believe Fields is the future. Has his head straight, strong arm, accurate when he gets a clean pocket, and Lamar Jr legs. The part people forget about is that JF has a serious IQ. Hes a smart guy. I dont think the Bears developed him properly and I know they didnt surround him with talent. The weight of the team was on his shoulders and most of his glaring mistakes came from trying to do too much with too little around him. Give him a OL and some talent at TE and WR. Give him a strong run game to play action off of. Get him back to the basics of what got him to be a highly successful OSU QB. I like the stance change. I dont see much in the way of mechanics that is leading to his problems. It was his reads in tight windows under pressure. He was a little too eager to run probably because he had zero faith in his WRs.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    I firmly believe Fields is the future. Has his head straight, strong arm, accurate when he gets a clean pocket, and Lamar Jr legs. The part people forget about is that JF has a serious IQ. Hes a smart guy. I dont think the Bears developed him properly and I know they didnt surround him with talent. The weight of the team was on his shoulders and most of his glaring mistakes came from trying to do too much with too little around him. Give him a OL and some talent at TE and WR. Give him a strong run game to play action off of. Get him back to the basics of what got him to be a highly successful OSU QB. I like the stance change. I dont see much in the way of mechanics that is leading to his problems. It was his reads in tight windows under pressure. He was a little too eager to run probably because he had zero faith in his WRs.
    Finally got a legit WR last year and DJ Moore had career best numbers on a team that didn't throw a lot.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    IMO Fields will thrive in Arthur Smith's offense, but I alsobelieve Wilson will too. The organization is going to have to make a tough decision on which horse to hitch their wagon to
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    IMO Fields will thrive in Arthur Smith's offense, but I alsobelieve Wilson will too. The organization is going to have to make a tough decision on which horse to hitch their wagon to
    I think it is more that the QBs have to make the decision for the FO. The obvious choice for one to excel is Fields. The guy has the tools and talent, and one thing that Wilson doesn't have: youth. If he can turn it around and take over the starting spot, that is the best case scenario. Even if Russ can be a star, it is a temporary solution at best.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    I assume we'll eventually see QB Caleb Williams in a Steelers uniform.

The Bears probably see those 2 as payback for Kordell Stewart.
    Obviously the standard is the standard.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by The Man of Steel View Post
    I 100% forgot that Stewart played in CHI.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by The Man of Steel View Post
    You forgot Mike Tomzack.
    Help me find my post proving I am a Yinzer!

Find the post Ovi labeled me a troll!

We want to roll people!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    We agree on this. I feel it is more important to extend Fields than Wilson. That said, I think Wilson will have a very good year. He will get 25+ TDs...unless our thin WR room torpedoes us.
    Yup and if that happens, and Wilson we extend Fields on the cheap on a prove it deal. He will have no value.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Legend

User Info Menu

Welp, I'm not on the Fields bandwagon like some of yinz (at least not yet). He has some things to prove in any offense he's put into. "He's a smart guy", his play late in games says he is prone to making mistakes at critical times. If Fields gets on the field and gives the ball away like that, Tomlin will have very little patience with him. And while I admit I didn't watch a ton of him last season, in the games I did watch he had suspect accuracy. His on-target passing was on the same level as Howell and Murray putting him in the bottom quarter of starting QBs.
    One positive is that he has shown some improvement from season to season. That is encouraging. But we've been fooled before. Trubisky, and before that, anyone remember Paxton Lynch? Another first round QB that just needed better coaching.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Welp, I'm not on the Fields bandwagon like some of yinz (at least not yet). He has some things to prove in any offense he's put into. "He's a smart guy", his play late in games says he is prone to making mistakes at critical times. If Fields gets on the field and gives the ball away like that, Tomlin will have very little patience with him. And while I admit I didn't watch a ton of him last season, in the games I did watch he had suspect accuracy. His on-target passing was on the same level as Howell and Murray putting him in the bottom quarter of starting QBs.
    One positive is that he has shown some improvement from season to season. That is encouraging. But we've been fooled before. Trubisky, and before that, anyone remember Paxton Lynch? Another first round QB that just needed better coaching.
    I'll admit that Fields is somewhat of a lottery ticket. However, you know what is true about every lottery...someone has won every lottery except for the current one and there will be for that one.

Interestingly, a Bears sport writer came to Pittsburgh and recogognized the Steelers have a "better plan" for Fields

https://steelersdepot.com/2024/05/be...-than-chicago/
    Last edited by Oviedo; 05-23-2024 at 07:00 AM.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"