Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Steelers tweaking Fields' mechanics

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    But we've been fooled before. Trubisky, and before that, anyone remember Paxton Lynch? Another first round QB that just needed better coaching.
    I wasn't fooled by Trubisky and Lynch. That's where the PFF hate started here, when I pointed out that Trubisky's best year was a mirage and was called a hater.

I've seen Fields a ton, he has things to clean up, but as a floor he's a dynamic runner with great arm. I really think he's a guy that needs the right system, and I think this or something like Greg Roman's were the best we could hope for.

Legend

User Info Menu

Welp, I'm not on the Fields bandwagon like some of yinz (at least not yet). He has some things to prove in any offense he's put into. "He's a smart guy", his play late in games says he is prone to making mistakes at critical times. If Fields gets on the field and gives the ball away like that, Tomlin will have very little patience with him. And while I admit I didn't watch a ton of him last season, in the games I did watch he had suspect accuracy. His on-target passing was on the same level as Howell and Murray putting him in the bottom quarter of starting QBs.
    One positive is that he has shown some improvement from season to season. That is encouraging. But we've been fooled before. Trubisky, and before that, anyone remember Paxton Lynch? Another first round QB that just needed better coaching.
    I am definitely not sold on Fields, but that's the great thing about this....he can be dumped at any time and there is virtually no penalty. Same with Russ. Normally when you miss on a QB, you pay a big price for being wrong. Ask Denver. If the Steelers are right on Russ then you get the next three years or so of good QB play. If they hit on Fields, then you aren't looking QB again for a long, long time. If they miss on both then there is no dead money tied up at the position and you can go out without that anchor around your neck to find the next guy. The Steelers have about $176M tied up next year, and can free up another $13M if Larry O and Holcomb are not back. There is also a lot that can be freed up with restructures. The team is in good shape against the cap and has a lot of flexibility when it comes to finding the next QB if need be. I'm very happy that they have not (so far at least) pushed any extra onto Cam's numbers.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    I am definitely not sold on Fields, but that's the great thing about this....he can be dumped at any time and there is virtually no penalty. Same with Russ. Normally when you miss on a QB, you pay a big price for being wrong.
    That's true for one season only. What about next season? What if fields doesn't see the field at all this season? Next season, there will be two prices to pay: Any time that was wasted. And what we'd have to pay next season.

Ask Denver. .
    Denver couldn't wait to get rid of Wilson. So much so, that they were willing to pay him a stupid amount of money this season to go away.

If the Steelers are right on Russ then you get the next three years or so of good QB play.
    Fair enough. That's what I'm hoping for. But being right means a playoff win this season and a deep playoff run by year 2, not just playing safe ball towards a winning season.

If they hit on Fields, then you aren't looking QB again for a long, long time.
    That would be ideal but a very big long shot IMO. The bears gave him 3 seasons and decided to get rid of him for peanuts. They're either the dumbest organization in the NFL (possible) or they don't see Fields as a franchise QB (very possible).

My big concern about having Fields on the team at the same time as Wilson is how the Steelers plan to evaluate him. The Steelers have proven quite bad at evaluating the position post Ben. And they have one season to figure out what they have in Wilson and/or Fields before it's time to pay either of them more than a ham sandwich. Odds aren't great that we have a clear picture on Fields at the end of this season unless Wilson goes down early.
    Last edited by Eich; 05-23-2024 at 10:57 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eich View Post

My big concern about having Fields on the team at the same time as Wilson is how the Steelers plan to evaluate him. The Steelers have proven quite bad at evaluating the position post Ben. And they have one season to figure out what they have in Wilson and/or Fields before it's time to pay either of them more than a ham sandwich. Odds aren't great that we have a clear picture on Fields at the end of this season unless Wilson goes down early.
    ^^^This here^^^^. Tomlin is a defensive-minded coach and it would be unusual if he suddenly became a QB whisperer. Payton is an offensive-minded HC and he could do very little with Wilson. Now, it is possible it was simply a clash of personalities that could not work (kinda like Haley and Roethlisberger).
    Someone will need to get paid next season and it will come down to one season of games in a new offense, with a new OC, to decide who it will be.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    I'll admit that Fields is somewhat of a lottery ticket. However, you know what is true about every lottery...someone has won every lottery except for the current one and there will be for that one.

Interestingly, a Bears sport writer came to Pittsburgh and recogognized the Steelers have a "better plan" for Fields

https://steelersdepot.com/2024/05/be...-than-chicago/
    I read what the writer said and it sounds like he needed to say something for a fellow writer. Fields complained he felt 'robotic' in the Bears offense. The SD article claims he will be a better fit in Smith's offense because it is designed to move the QB on rollouts and change the 'launch point' of the ball. Funny thing is, Fields had the lowest % of passes from the pocket in the NFL last season with the Bears. They were doing exactly what Smith is wanting to do, moving Fields around.

Legend

User Info Menu

I read what the writer said and it sounds like he needed to say something for a fellow writer. Fields complained he felt 'robotic' in the Bears offense. The SD article claims he will be a better fit in Smith's offense because it is designed to move the QB on rollouts and change the 'launch point' of the ball. Funny thing is, Fields had the lowest % of passes from the pocket in the NFL last season with the Bears. They were doing exactly what Smith is wanting to do, moving Fields around.
    Were the Bears moving him on purpose, or was he scrambling because their OL was poor and the route concepts were Canada-esque?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by WindyCitySteel View Post
    Were the Bears moving him on purpose, or was he scrambling because their OL was poor and the route concepts were Canada-esque?
    I can answer that. Fields has been running for his life since being drafted by the Bears. Let?s see what he can do with a real OL, a real TE, a real running game. He didn?t have any talent at WR really until his final season with them.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    I can answer that. Fields has been running for his life since being drafted by the Bears. Let?s see what he can do with a real OL, a real TE, a real running game. He didn?t have any talent at WR really until his final season with them.
    It's funny, we have all agreed that Kenny was in an awful situation since he was drafted. Awful coaching, system, line, etc. I think that everyone would agree that he would be better served on a team that is better in any or all of those aspects. Now it's time to move on.

Now we have another similar situation. Highly drafted QB, more talented, horrible coaching, awful line, no system. Obviously we'd rather have an established stud at QB, but until we do, Fields is worth an honest shot.

Legend

User Info Menu

Don't know the answer here.

But apparently Wilson and Fields were pressured more than any other QBs in the league.

The only guys above 40% pressure rate. KP was mid to high 30s I think.

I'm sure part off this is then holding the ball too long. But part of it is probably scheme too.

Legend

User Info Menu

I wasn't fooled by Trubisky and Lynch. That's where the PFF hate started here, when I pointed out that Trubisky's best year was a mirage and was called a hater.

I've seen Fields a ton, he has things to clean up, but as a floor he's a dynamic runner with great arm. I really think he's a guy that needs the right system, and I think this or something like Greg Roman's were the best we could hope for.
    You were wrong about Mitch per pff. He WAS a much better Steeler than he EVER WAS as a Bear. Under the genius tutelage of Matt Canada Mitch 2022 was THE BEST OFFENSIVE PLAYER on our team per THEIR metrics.

Sure his COUNTING STATS were trash. But pff convinced me to ignore my flawed caveman impression and trust their incredible insights.

Sadly Tomlin failed to see Mitch?s awesomeness and unfairly pulled the starting job from him.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher