Thread: 2024 rest disparity

Legend

User Info Menu

2024 rest disparity

Neat analysis, shows how many times and for how many days each team gets an advantage in extra days to prepare/rest. Baltimore with the easiest schedule in that regard, SF with the hardest, Steelers in the middle.

https://www.sharpfootballanalysis.co...isparity-2024/

Legend

User Info Menu

There was some discussion about this on Scout's Eye as well. Credits Sharp in the video.

Certainly seems like they are trying to "set up" Baltimore to succeed. +16 days rest sounds like it's (much?) more than Sharp has recorded since he started looking at this. That seems as anomalous as the insane end of the schedule that the Steelers have.

Steelers are +2. Which seems like it's slightly above the average, but in the "normal" range.

SF is -21...which seems crazy IMO. Indy and Denver both have -17.

This suggests that the NFL doesn't care about this as a parameter in their model.

Seems like this number is mostly about "how many teams to you face when they are coming off their bye. Every team gets one bye, so they probably get one +7.

For Baltimore, they don't face any team coming off a bye. And the team they face coming off their own by isn't on a bye.

For SF, they face 3 teams coming of byes. And they only get +6 coming off their own byes.

Seems to me like the NFL should add "have teams coming off byes play eachother" into the scheduling algorithm. Doing that would probably put teams in a +/- 5. Don't know if it's always an even number of teams on bye though.
    Last edited by Northern_Blitz; 05-20-2024 at 07:38 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by WindyCitySteel View Post
    Neat analysis, shows how many times and for how many days each team gets an advantage in extra days to prepare/rest. Baltimore with the easiest schedule in that regard, SF with the hardest, Steelers in the middle.

https://www.sharpfootballanalysis.co...isparity-2024/
    The NFL absolutely wants to get Lamar Jackson a Lombardi. The narrative just builds every year.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    The NFL absolutely wants to get Lamar Jackson a Lombardi. The narrative just builds every year.
    and the sweeter it is when they fizzle out in the playoffs

Legend

User Info Menu

This is another reason I don't like Thursday games. Not only is there an advantage to the home team on a short week (but the same short week as your opponent) but both Thursday teams have a big advantage in their next game with an extra three days rest over that opponent.