Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Heyward not at voluntary minicamp

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    I think the flip side of this idea is something like:

"I just made almost $80MM in the last couple years. I can walk away from this game any time I want. I know that I'm sacrificing my body every time I get on that field. And while football has given me everything, it's also probably shortened my life span and my health span. I think I'm on the cusp of maybe having a hall of fame career. So, I'll go back if they make it worth my while. But if they don't hit a number that I think is worth it, why would I keep sacrificing so much when I've already made 'enough money for generations and generations to never worry about money'."

I don't understand why more players don't leave earlier.
    or.. well, if you wont pay me, someone else will. Let me go!
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    or.. well, if you wont pay me, someone else will. Let me go!
    Yep.

Although my guess is that we'd pay more real money to Cam than other teams because I think we're still sentimental as an organization despite this last offseason.

But another team would probably give him a contract that has a bigger total number in it.

I just don't believe Cam will play another 3 years...although FWIW, I thought the contract he's on now was a bad decision. And I think his play proved me wrong.

Legend

User Info Menu

Huh? What sense does this make. Owners make a ton but its okay because they are the owners?

Well their employees/players make a fraction of that which happens to be millions of dollars and the really good players make a bunch of millions because it helps the owners make Billions.

I think Cam has every right to try and make more money and Rooney has the right to say yes or no based on ROI.

This isn?t about greed, it?s negotiating compensation for work/production.

imagine a guy working part time making minimum wage telling you that you should stop working ir asking for a raise because you have a lot more than they have?
    An owner has to shell out $200M for team salaries and also responsible for the value of the franchise. One guy wants more than the tens of millions that he's already got while performing at a high level. Pay is about future performance. Heyward is well past the prime paydays he might think he is worth. I'd give him a new contract.... for no new money. The dropoff won't be that steep if he wants to sit. Benton should be a full-time starter.

Legend

User Info Menu

usually I would shrug but he is making it clear he is sitting out for an extension, lol.

he better give us the friendliest home team discount possible at that age and durability or lack there of.
    "He better" or what? Stop writing like you are an "OG" or an Owner. Cam probably gave the Steelers a discount on his last contract structure. Watt gave the Steelers a discount on his contract structure.

My dude, I stop you in your tracks with the hometown discount ish. You didn't take the hometown discount to remain in the Burgh.
    Last edited by BURGH86STEEL; 05-17-2024 at 04:27 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    An owner has to shell out $200M for team salaries and also responsible for the value of the franchise. One guy wants more than the tens of millions that he's already got while performing at a high level. Pay is about future performance. Heyward is well past the prime paydays he might think he is worth. I'd give him a new contract.... for no new money. The dropoff won't be that steep if he wants to sit. Benton should be a full-time starter.
    Benton should be a fulltime starter based on what? Cam learned and did it for 13 seasons.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BURGH86STEEL View Post
    "He better" or what? Stop writing like you are an "OG" or an Owner. Cam probably gave the Steelers a discount on his last contract structure. Watt gave the Steelers a discount on his contract structure.
    lmao at typing all that and then saying these 2 probably gave us discounts.

yes, he better give us a discount if he wants an extension at 35.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    I know this. Which is why I think he needs to take a nice hometown friendly deal if he wants a new contract.

What I don’t agree with us suggesting since a player has made X amount of dollars he should be happy and not ask for more.

Legend

User Info Menu

lmao at typing all that and then saying these 2 probably gave us discounts.

yes, he better give us a discount if he wants an extension at 35.
    You are not a boss. You don't control anything regarding the Steelers. Get a grip bro with "he better".

I doubt you would accept "HE BETTER" if you were in Cam's position. I know that I would not.
    Last edited by BURGH86STEEL; 05-17-2024 at 04:40 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Huh? What sense does this make. Owners make a ton but its okay because they are the owners?

Well their employees/players make a fraction of that which happens to be millions of dollars and the really good players make a bunch of millions because it helps the owners make Billions.

I think Cam has every right to try and make more money and Rooney has the right to say yes or no based on ROI.

This isn?t about greed, it?s negotiating compensation for work/production.

imagine a guy working part time making minimum wage telling you that you should stop working ir asking for a raise because you have a lot more than they have?
    Not sure what world you're living in but the CEO/owners of the company I work for make one hell of a lot more than I do. I can negotiate all I want but I'm never going to make what the CEO or board members get, even if I work more than they do and come up with the ideas that they don't. That's my point.

If the owners think that Cam is worth another $80M, they'd pay it to him. I'm just saying that these guys that feel "disrespected" after earning insanely huge salaries, orders of magnitude more than the majority of society, are living in another universe. Sure Cam has every right to get as much as he can. But "doing right by him"? as if the Steelers haven't already. Even you said he better take a team-friendly discount.

I'm not sure what you're arguing.
    Last edited by Eich; 05-17-2024 at 04:55 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

At the end of the day, a big deal needs to be made by some for 13 year NFL vet for not attending a mini camp over a contract extension. "FANS"