Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Heyward not at voluntary minicamp

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chucktownsteeler View Post
    “Voluntary”
    "First One He's Ever Missed"

He plainly states it's about doing what's right by him and he wants more money.

https://steelersdepot.com/2024/05/yo...tary-workouts/

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by WindyCitySteel View Post
    "First One He's Ever Missed"

He plainly states it's about doing what's right by him and he wants more money.

https://steelersdepot.com/2024/05/yo...tary-workouts/
    yeah.. usually the “it’s voluntary” would be an acceptable reply but unless someone is misquoting him the man clearly states why he isn’t at OTA’s this year.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by WindyCitySteel View Post
    If Heyward was the leader he's purported to be, the issues with DJ and Pickens and even Pickett wouldn't have gotten to where they were. He and Najee and others are good crowing to the media when they don't like what's going on in the locker room, but apparently they don't want to confront anyone and nip it in the bud.

I know, everyone loves him. Everyone avoids confrontation and wants to be liked now.

You know who isn't well-liked by teammates? Guys who kick ass and keep people in line and hold them to high standards. Who are those guys on the Steelers?
    Didn?t Minkah try to fight DJ?

I think the problem is the new generation has a lot of b!tvhmade dudes in it. All you can do is try to hold them accountable. Can?t force grown young men to be responsible and accountable.

Even when Ben was winning early he was undisciplined and a bad teammate (his words).. but he won games so we tolerated it.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Legend

User Info Menu

This only matters in the sense that we're not bending over backward to give Cam whatever contract he wants. I get that he's upset about that. And he should use the means that are available to him (like not going to OTAs).

But I'm with TO on this one. I'm glad that we aren't playing softball with Cam. I don't want to give him another big contract because he says he wants to play another 3 years. The downside risk is too big.

I'd be OK with doing a no new money extension where he gets salary this year turned into singing bonus. Then we extend him with salaries that slightly decline with time. No new signing bonus. Then it's a pay as you go contract. My understanding is that this is what we did with Troy at the end.

Preparation wise, I don't think it matters at all that he isn't there.

There are probably few players who need OTAs less than Cam. He knows how to be in shape for the season.

He'll come when things are mandatory because the fines are fairly large and the CBA says team can't waive them like they used to.
    Last edited by Northern_Blitz; 05-16-2024 at 02:21 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

He is 35, coming of a season of 6 missed games, and will get all of the $78.85 M extension he signed. Acting as of the Steelers need to do right by him is preposterous.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    He is 35, coming of a season of 6 missed games, and will get all of the $78.85 M extension he signed. Acting as of the Steelers need to do right by him is preposterous.
    They'd actually be doing him a favor letting him play out his deal. If things go South, he can sign with a team that has a shot at a ring.

Legend

User Info Menu

As a player Heyward was a was / is very good one. As leader he was equally as good. As a man he was even better.

However like you said he is 35, missed 6 games, and was looking for a ton of money.

Salute him with all flags and if needed waive good bye if he opts to retire. I would like him back another year for a reasonable amount.
    Tomlin hasn't won a playoff game in seven years and counting. The earliest will be eight years. I guess that in Art Rooney's II, opinion is worth a 3 year extension.

Our 2024 draft looks to be grade A. Our 2023 draft is an A. The roster is talented, but Mike Tomlin is still the head coach.

Legend

User Info Menu

People that make that kind of money really live in an alternate universe. I get that the owners make a lot more. But they're the owners. $78M is enough money for generations and generations to never worry about money. Invested in the most conservative, safe investments you can find, that kind of money would still grow faster than the average person could spend it.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eich View Post
    People that make that kind of money really live in an alternate universe. I get that the owners make a lot more. But they're the owners. $78M is enough money for generations and generations to never worry about money. Invested in the most conservative, safe investments you can find, that kind of money would still grow faster than the average person could spend it.
    Huh? What sense does this make. Owners make a ton but its okay because they are the owners?

Well their employees/players make a fraction of that which happens to be millions of dollars and the really good players make a bunch of millions because it helps the owners make Billions.

I think Cam has every right to try and make more money and Rooney has the right to say yes or no based on ROI.

This isn’t about greed, it’s negotiating compensation for work/production.

imagine a guy working part time making minimum wage telling you that you should stop working ir asking for a raise because you have a lot more than they have?
    Last edited by feltdizz; 05-17-2024 at 09:06 AM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eich View Post
    I think the flip side of this idea is something like:

"I just made almost $80MM in the last couple years. I can walk away from this game any time I want. I know that I'm sacrificing my body every time I get on that field. And while football has given me everything, it's also probably shortened my life span and my health span. I think I'm on the cusp of maybe having a hall of fame career. So, I'll go back if they make it worth my while. But if they don't hit a number that I think is worth it, why would I keep sacrificing so much when I've already made 'enough money for generations and generations to never worry about money'."

I don't understand why more players don't leave earlier.