Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another UDFA RB Gem at Rookie Camp

Legend

User Info Menu

Another UDFA RB Gem at Rookie Camp

Steelers New UDFA Running Back Daijun Edwards Turning Heads At Rookie Mini Camp
    Story by Anthony G. Halkias II, Steeler Nation ?

? Joshua L. Jones / USA TODAY NETWORK

The Pittsburgh Steelers welcomed a small, but promising undrafted free agent class this year. Despite its size, this group of signings is already making waves at rookie mini-camp.

Among these undrafted free agents is Georgia's running back Daijun Edwards. Standing at 5' 10" and weighing 207 pounds, Edwards went undrafted due to concerns about his size potentially limiting his role as an every-down back in the NFL.

However, the Steelers saw potential in Edwards, recognizing his dominance in the highly competitive SEC, widely regarded as the premier conference in college football. Over his tenure with the Bulldogs, Edwards amassed an impressive 2,084 rushing yards and 24 touchdowns in 51 games. Notably, he led the Bulldogs with 880 rushing yards in the 2023 season.
    From the onset of rookie mini-camp, Edwards wasted no time making an impact and turning heads. Mark Kaboly, a Steelers reporter for The Athletic, singled out Edwards as a player that Steelers fans should keep a close eye on as he continues to impress.

The Steelers boast a formidable running back duo in Najee Harris and Jaylen Warren. However, the decision to decline Harris' fifth-year option has sparked uncertainty regarding the future of the position in Pittsburgh.
    Reports emerged on Thursday suggesting that Harris had requested the option decline, prompting speculation about his desire to remain with the team. His agent swiftly refuted these claims, asserting their inaccuracy. Nonetheless, the transient nature of the running back position necessitates a continuous influx of talent. The emergence of Edwards, an undrafted free agent who impressed from day one, has injected excitement into Steeler Nation.
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/2pQynaN][/url][url=https://flic.kr/p/2pQynaN]capture2[/url] by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/191750946@N04/]R W[/url], on Flickr
    The Steelers consider themselves fortunate to have secured Edwards, who excelled over the past two seasons with one of college football's premier teams, culminating in a National Championship victory in 2022. Assuming the role of feature back as a junior and maintaining his productivity into his senior season, Edwards' track record in the competitive SEC suggests he possesses the potential to make an impact at the NFL level.

While undrafted free agents face long odds of earning significant playing time, Edwards may draw inspiration from Warren, the Steelers' current running back who similarly entered camp as an undrafted free agent in 2022 and swiftly caught the attention of coaches. The NFL roster is rife with hidden gems, and Edwards could potentially follow in Warren's footsteps. While it's premature to anoint Edwards as the next Warren, his early promise is a source of excitement for Steelers fans as they eagerly anticipate his development throughout camp.

Legend

User Info Menu

He's a slug ( 4.71 c40 ) who played on a talented college team. He is neither big, fast, or strong. I doubt he makes the Steelers game day roster.
    Tomlin hasn't won a playoff game in seven years and counting. The earliest will be eight years. I guess that in Art Rooney's II, opinion is worth a 3 year extension.

Our 2024 draft looks to be grade A. Our 2023 draft is an A. The roster is talented, but Mike Tomlin is still the head coach.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Buchsbaum View Post
    He's a slug ( 4.71 c40 ) who played on a talented college team. He is neither big, fast, or strong. I doubt he makes the Steelers game day roster.
    Warren was only 4.55
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Let him come to Latrobe and compete. That's what it's all about.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Iron City Inc. View Post
    Exactly, we should be trying out UDFA backs every year, lots of them.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by WindyCitySteel View Post
    Exactly, we should be trying out UDFA backs every year, lots of them.
    Yep.

I'm happy that there are positive reports about this guy.

But my guess is that you can't learn much about RBs before people start hitting each other.

Legend

User Info Menu

Vision, shiftiness, balance, durability, and tenacity may all be more important than 40-yard time... after all, how often is a RB going to be running for 25+?

Not expecting a lot out of the dude, but let's give him a chance to show what he's got

Legend

User Info Menu

You can measure a lot, but you can’t measure heart. Let’s see what he has before we pass judgement.
    Help me find my post proving I am a Yinzer!

Find the post Ovi labeled me a troll!

We want to roll people!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Buchsbaum View Post
    Have you actually watched him? He has sudden feet and plays with terrific football speed. Shifty, slippery with very nice vision for cutback lanes. I’m actually a bit surprised he wasnt drafted. I think he will stick.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Iron City Inc. View Post
    yep, a lot of workout warriors struggle once those pads come on. Vice versa as well. Some people play better than they test.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"