Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Moore, Moore, Moore

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by WindyCitySteel View Post
    Scratch that -- this song accurately describe's CL's behavior...

Correct indeed.
    It is about my futile attempts to dissuade you from your blind devotion to pff using countless examples:

Obsession by Captain Lemming

You are an obsession
    I cannot sleep
    I have fact possession
    I show you every week

There's no balance

No equality
    Be still I will not accept defeat

I will change you

Yes, I will change you
    I will find a way and I will change you
    Like a butterfly
    A wild butterfly
    I will convince you and will persuade you

(chorus)
    I have an obsession,
    A Windy obsession
    No matter what logic you see
    You won’t agree with me

I have an obsession
    A Windy obsession
    You won’t agree with me
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 05-09-2024 at 10:03 AM.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    Correct indeed.
    It is about my futile attempts to dissuade you from your blind devotion to pff using countless examples:

Obsession by Captain Lemming

You are an obsession
    I cannot sleep
    I have fact possession
    I show you every week

There's no balance

No equality
    Be still I will not accept defeat

I will change you

Yes, I will change you
    I will find a way and I will change you
    Like a butterfly
    A wild butterfly
    I will convince you and will persuade you

(chorus)
    I have an obsession,
    A Windy obsession
    You won’t agree with me

I have an obsession
    A Windy obsession
    You won’t agree with me
    I finally got my IT guy to track down Captain Lemming. He's tried multiple disguises to try to throw me off the scent. But know that I'm coming for you Lemming!

Legend

User Info Menu

You try way too hard to disprove PFF, if it's that useless just ignore it.

And therein lies the rub -- you know it's not, so you're forced to shout down anyone who defends their grading.

You're obsessed. Let it go.

Legend

User Info Menu

You try way too hard to disprove PFF, if it's that useless just ignore it.

And therein lies the rub -- you know it's not, so you're forced to shout down anyone who defends their grading.

You're obsessed. Let it go.
    It is not useless. I got no problem saying that. It gives very useful insight that ADDS insights to “counting stats” that they they and you speak so derisively of. But pff metrics have merit. Said it frequently.

But if you over inflate the value of those metrics you get results that imply rookie Kenny ended the season playing as well as Ben in his prime or that MITCH was our best player ON THE ENTIRE OFFENSE that season.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-

Legend

User Info Menu

But if you over inflate the value of those metrics you get results that imply rookie Kenny ended the season playing as well as Ben in his prime or that MITCH was our best player ON THE ENTIRE OFFENSE that season.
    Do you think a university is full of crap for giving a 4.0 GPA to both someone taking entry level basket weaving and someone else in advanced astrophysics?

Should the latter get an 8.0?

There's only one grading scale, they're not saying all similarly graded performances are equally impressive.

Legend

User Info Menu

Do you think a university is full of crap for giving a 4.0 GPA to both someone taking entry level basket weaving and someone else in advanced astrophysics?

There's only one grading scale, they're not saying all similarly graded performances are equally impressive.
    This is exactly the reason you can't look at just one method of grading football players.

PFF is one way of grading players. It strongly values consistency. Which is very important for some positions (e.g. OL). But in other positions (e.g. WR), you can change the game on one play even if you haven't been consistent throughout.

It's good that PFF exists. Because it can sometimes unearth things that other metrics don't see. I think it's especially valuable when looking at middling players or up and coming guys.

Legend

User Info Menu

Is that supposed to explain how Mitch had the highest pff score on the offense (even over Kenny who was CLEARLY better).

Or how rookie Kenny played better towards seasons end than his prime Ben?

What are you talking about?

TCFCLTC-

Legend

User Info Menu

Is that supposed to explain how Mitch had the highest pff score on the offense (even over Kenny who was CLEARLY better).

Or how rookie Kenny played better towards seasons end than his prime Ben?

What are you talking about?
    Something you have the complete inability to understand, apparently.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    This is exactly the reason you can't look at just one method of grading football players.
    And PFF is the first to say that -- they aren't grading counting stats, plenty of people do that.

Legend

User Info Menu

And PFF is the first to say that -- they aren't grading counting stats, plenty of people do that.
    But that is NCs point. They grade using just their metrics as they though they can accurately judge play using ONLY those metrics.

But when you do that you have laughably inaccurate results.

TCFCLTC-