Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: Change In HC Coming in 2025?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    Can you please remind us who the QBs were in 2019 (e.g. after the 2018 season)?

You've made this point multiple times. But 2018 is the last year where we had competent QB play. And even then we had the deep ball accuracy issues with Ben (e.g. bad wifi comments)
    For those playing at home, here are our QBs since 2018:

2019: Ben (injured in game 2, threw 62 passes); young-Mason; Duck; young-Mason.
    2020-21: Old-man Ben
    2022: Mitch. Kenny.
    2023: Kenny. Mitch. old-Mason.

Anyone wonder why were weren't passing a lot, or not passing over the middle much since 2018?

We haven't had a QB with decent accuracy intermediate or deep for almost half a decade.

Hopefully, we can break out of that funk this year after tearing the QB room down to the studs and rebuilding.

Legend

User Info Menu

For those playing at home, here are our QBs since 2018:

2019: Ben (injured in game 2, threw 62 passes); young-Mason; Duck; young-Mason.
    2020-21: Old-man Ben
    2022: Mitch. Kenny.
    2023: Kenny. Mitch. old-Mason.

Anyone wonder why were weren't passing a lot, or not passing over the middle much since 2018?

We haven't had a QB with decent accuracy intermediate or deep for almost half a decade.

Hopefully, we can break out of that funk this year after tearing the QB room down to the studs and rebuilding.
    Shouldn't it be easier to throw over the middle than to the sidelines, though? Feels like they didn't try nearly enough.

Legend

User Info Menu

I am all for rolling with Justin Fields. Won’t happen but that’s what I’d like to see.
    Help me find my post proving I am a Yinzer!

Find the post Ovi labeled me a troll!

We want to roll people!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by WindyCitySteel View Post
    Shouldn't it be easier to throw over the middle than to the sidelines, though? Feels like they didn't try nearly enough.
    Once again:
    Here is why Kenny stayed away from the deep middle. Bad things happened. 1st 10 weeks chart from last season:

If you define deep as a mere 20 yards Kenny was 1 of 8 with 2 picks deep middle. His ONE completion was the shortest pass on barely 20 yards.

10 weeks in he was zero of six with 2 picks beyond 21 yards.

I KNOW how badly you want Tomlin fired but sadly for you it is not in Tomlin best interest for Kenny to lose games that we won.
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 05-20-2024 at 12:58 AM.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Legend

User Info Menu

I know pff thought can’t score Kenny was at one point playing QB on par with peak Ben but simple COUNTING STATS showed he was not a player you want carrying a team.

Giving him a modest load and
    playing safe is EXACTLY HOW we made the playoffs with one of
    the leagues worst starting QBs.
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 05-20-2024 at 12:56 AM.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-

Legend

User Info Menu

When you have QBs that aren't accurate, throwing where the defenders are isn't worth the risk.

Ben wasn't accurate intermediate or deep after the injury.

Mitch would throw it anyway...often to the other team.

Kenny didn't seem to be good at finding guys over the middle or throwing accurately / on time in those situations.

When you throw down the sideline, it's generally into single coverage and you aren't going to accidently throw it to the lurking LB because he isn't there.

My understanding is also that deep middle passing is down league wide as defenses play more 2 high.
    Last edited by Northern_Blitz; 05-20-2024 at 07:48 AM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    Once again:
    Here is why Kenny stayed away from the deep middle. Bad things happened. 1st 10 weeks chart from last season:

If you define deep as a mere 20 yards Kenny was 1 of 8 with 2 picks deep middle. His ONE completion was the shortest pass on barely 20 yards.

10 weeks in he was zero of six with 2 picks beyond 21 yards.

I KNOW how badly you want Tomlin fired but sadly for you it is not in Tomlin best interest for Kenny to lose games that we won.
    And some posters kept saying we should force him to do more and more of the things he was bad at. And stop doing the things he was good at (threw a very good back shoulder down the sidelines).

I do believe that a better OC would have gotten more out of Kenny.

But I also think a better QB would have given more to Canada (who I also think was not good).
    Last edited by Northern_Blitz; 05-20-2024 at 07:50 AM.

Legend

User Info Menu

And some posters kept saying we should force him to do more and more of the things he was bad at. And stop doing the things he was good at (threw a very good back shoulder down the sidelines).
    It is an EXCELLENT strategy, if one’s priority is coaching change.

TCFCLTC-

Legend

User Info Menu

When you have QBs that aren't accurate, throwing where the defenders are isn't worth the risk.

Ben wasn't accurate intermediate or deep after the injury.

Mitch would throw it anyway...often to the other team.

Kenny didn't seem to be good at finding guys over the middle or throwing accurately / on time in those situations.

When you throw down the sideline, it's generally into single coverage and you aren't going to accidently throw it to the lurking LB because he isn't there.

My understanding is also that deep middle passing is down league wide as defenses play more 2 high.
    Yes, the league has moved to a nickel base with " high " safeties.

The QB passing talent is down as well.
    Tomlin hasn't won a playoff game in seven years and counting. The earliest will be eight years. I guess that in Art Rooney's II, opinion is worth a 3 year extension.

Our 2024 draft looks to be grade A. Our 2023 draft is an A. The roster is talented, but Mike Tomlin is still the head coach.