Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Justin Fields might be returning kickoffs???

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    If he gets hurt playing QB that?s different than having him return kicks. We have other people for that.
    But again, I'd only do it if he's the best we have at doing it. If we have other guys who are better, then fine.

It's no different than putting him in at QB to play the slash role, where he takes off running like Kordell did. He can get hurt doing that just as easily as returning kicks. Getting us field position on a kick off return is every bit as important as running for some yardage as a slash QB.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eich View Post
    But again, I'd only do it if he's the best we have at doing it. If we have other guys who are better, then fine.

It's no different than putting him in at QB to play the slash role, where he takes off running like Kordell did. He can get hurt doing that just as easily as returning kicks. Getting us field position on a kick off return is every bit as important as running for some yardage as a slash QB.
    Did Kordell ever return punts or kick offs? Not sure but I don?t think so.

We just signed Patterson who has the most kick returns for TD?s.

There is no reason for Fields to return kicks.

The threat to play action pass is why Fields running a QB designed run would be a fine gadget play.
    Last edited by feltdizz; 05-03-2024 at 11:18 PM.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Legend

User Info Menu

What's the difference between putting in an athletic QB in at QB, knowing he's going to run, and putting an athletic QB in on kickoffs, knowing he's going to run? Kickoffs now don't seem any more dangerous than a QB who runs.

I say, if running is his game, give him opportunities to hone that skill. He can still slide himself down to avoid a big hit, can't he?
    I think QBs have protections even when they are running.

I think teams would intentionally target QBs playing returner. Like they used to target QBs after they threw picks

And if they kick away from him, the 2nd returner has to be a blocker unless we want to play a man short.

Which opens him up to other kinds of impacts.

If we wanted summertime athletic that can throw in Kickoff. Go with the udfa imo.
    Last edited by Northern_Blitz; 05-04-2024 at 05:55 AM.

Legend

User Info Menu

It's not happening.
    Tomlin hasn't won a playoff game in seven years and counting. The earliest will be eight years. I guess that in Art Rooney's II, opinion is worth a 3 year extension.

Our 2024 draft looks to be grade A. Our 2023 draft is an A. The roster is talented, but Mike Tomlin is still the head coach.

Legend

User Info Menu

I don't think it's happening either, but because we have better options to return kicks. Not because it's so dangerous to have our QB2 returning kicks.

I don't think a QB has any protections as a runner that other players don't have. Once he becomes a runner, he's fair game, unless he gives himself up by sliding. And as far as I know, ANY player can do the same as a runner. They just usually don't.

Legend

User Info Menu

Did Kordell ever return punts or kick offs? Not sure but I don?t think so.
    Only in practice. But he didn't play under the league's new rules on kickoffs, which are completely different.

There is no reason for Fields to return kicks.
    Apparently our bubble gum punishing coach doesn't agree with you.

Legend

User Info Menu

I don't think it's happening either, but because we have better options to return kicks. Not because it's so dangerous to have our QB2 returning kicks.

I don't think a QB has any protections as a runner that other players don't have. Once he becomes a runner, he's fair game, unless he gives himself up by sliding. And as far as I know, ANY player can do the same as a runner. They just usually don't.
    I definitely think its because he is QB2. He maybe the best open field runner we have but unless there is a run pass option as a QB its too risky IMO.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Legend

User Info Menu

I definitely think its because he is QB2. He maybe the best open field runner we have but unless there is a run pass option as a QB its too risky IMO.
    Plus, why the hell did we just sign Patterson if we are not going to use him on the one thing he does well? It would be like signing a veteran QB, giving him $100M guaranteed, and then drafting a QB in the top ten. Who would do that?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    Plus, why the hell did we just sign Patterson if we are not going to use him on the one thing he does well? It would be like signing a veteran QB, giving him $100M guaranteed, and then drafting a QB in the top ten. Who would do that?
    Ed Zachary, we didn't sign the best KR in league history so we could risk our 2nd string QB on kick returns.

Legend

User Info Menu

Not.Going.To.Happen.
    Help me find my post proving I am a Yinzer!

Find the post Ovi labeled me a troll!

We want to roll people!