Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: In a few hours, we'll know about Harris' 5th year option

Legend

User Info Menu

In a few hours, we'll know about Harris' 5th year option

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co...ption-decision

I think he has earned it. Many love Warren, but he is a #2 with ball security issues. Keep Harris because he is our best person to "roll people" as the team wants to do
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

I think they are more likely than not to give him the option.

If we do exercise it, he will be the first 5th year option we've done for someone at the playing time bonus (same level Edmunds had). Like Edmunds, Najee plays a position that doesn't cost very much. So it's probably not a big decision either way.

But as I've said before, I think it's a (small) mistake.

RBs take lots of punishment and tend to decline quickly somewhere around year 5. And the chances of missing significant time in the first 4-5 years seems to be higher for RBs than most positions.

I'd much rather that we negotiate an extension. Maybe even at that same AAV of the 5th year option. But guaranteeing money in the future for RBs doesn't seem wise to me. Personally, I think we're taking this long because I think we're trying to get an extension (more money, but less guaranteed) instead of doing the 5th year option.

But with the devaluing of the RB position, the contract is still small. Which I think means that it's not a big mistake if we make it.

I'd also imagine that people who are for it would also feel like it's not a big mistake if we don't make it.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

What time are we talking? I am writing this at 2:12PM eastern time that Najee will get his 5th year option. Not that it is any significant prediction. I think it's intuitively obvious.

Legend

User Info Menu

Denied. Wonder if he'll hold out.
    Last edited by WindyCitySteel; 05-02-2024 at 04:22 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Terrible, if they don’t extend him I wouldn’t be shocked if he wants out. No way I’m playing with no insurance for next year.
    Last edited by feltdizz; 05-02-2024 at 04:29 PM.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Terrible, if they don’t extend him I wouldn’t be shocked if he wants out. No way I’m playing with no insurance for next year.
    I thought they'd extend him, but I think this is the better option (although I wouldn't have been upset if we went the other way).

I think they probably don't want to set the precedent of giving options for guys who don't have a probowl (at least that's the threshold they've used since the new system went into effect).

I hope we can get a deal that gives him a similar amount of guaranteed money, but gets more term.

But if he wants a contract we think is too big or he leaves, draft a RB in the 2nd or 3rd next year and pair him with Warren.

We've told many players to explore their value on the UFA market and if they want to give us the opportunity to beat it, we may (Foster said they did this to him IIRC).

Small overpayments aren't killers when you aren't paying a QB. But if things go well this year, we might be paying a QB as early as next year.

It sucks for RBs, but their aging curves don't really match up with how the league does contracts.
    Last edited by Northern_Blitz; 05-02-2024 at 04:39 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Wouldn't be surprised if an extension isn't being worked as we speak
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Wouldn't be surprised if an extension isn't being worked as we speak
    I'd imagine this is the case and both sides were trying to use this looming deadline to spur some action.

If that's the case, my guess is that there's no movement on an extension before camp now.

Letting this option go away gives the team more leverage.

Does Najee want to play out his rookie deal for $2.5M and risk getting hurt?

Or does he want to take a longer term deal that puts a signing bonus in his pocket this summer?

We'll see...
    Last edited by Northern_Blitz; 05-02-2024 at 04:50 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Let's hope he doesn't have Bell's agent.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I don't have a problem with not picking up his 5th year option or not giving him an extension prior to the season. I see nothing wrong with lighting a fire underneath Harris and letting him play 2024 as a contract year. If he has a good or great season, then resign him. There won't be any kind of crazy market for a running back as others have alluded.