Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: In a few hours, we'll know about Harris' 5th year option

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Asking a RB who played through a linsfrac injury, carried the rock a ton with 3 straight 1,000+ yard seasons, all with subpar OL play to prove his worth in his last contract year is ridiculous.

I agree. I don't understand this especially given the cost wasn't ridiculous
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Asking a RB who played through a linsfrac injury, carried the rock a ton with 3 straight 1,000+ yard seasons, all with subpar OL play to prove his worth in his last contract year is ridiculous.
    I didn't say that he needs to prove his worth. I love Najee and hope he not only balls-out this season, but that we sign him to a second contract. He doesn't need to prove his worth to me and I'm pretty sure the coaching staff and brass feel the same way. But there is merit in seeing how he performs in this offense before the team makes a financial commitment to him. The way I see it, this also works out better for Najee. If the team does sign him to a long-term contract, then he'll have far more in his pocket in 2025 than $6.79M. If he has a down year or fails to impress in this offense, then he hits free agency a year early and the team can then look for a new back to pair with Warren. It's a win-win, as far as I'm concerned.

I'm betting that behind this line and in this offense, Najee is going to have a great year and he'll wind up signing that second contract right here.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Flasteel View Post
    I didn't say that he needs to prove his worth. I love Najee and hope he not only balls-out this season, but that we sign him to a second contract. He doesn't need to prove his worth to me and I'm pretty sure the coaching staff and brass feel the same way. But there is merit in seeing how he performs in this offense before the team makes a financial commitment to him. The way I see it, this also works out better for Najee. If the team does sign him to a long-term contract, then he'll have far more in his pocket in 2025 than $6.79M. If he has a down year or fails to impress in this offense, then he hits free agency a year early and the team can then look for a new back to pair with Warren. It's a win-win, as far as I'm concerned.

I'm betting that behind this line and in this offense, Najee is going to have a great year and he'll wind up signing that second contract right here.
    There was a report that they are waiting to see how he looks in Smiths offense. Doesn?t make sense to me.

There is also a third option that works against Najee. Injury. If he finally gets injured his value drops when he hits FA.

This is why most players hold in now when its their last contract year. Don?t be surprised if Najee has a ?hold in? during camp.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    You would have a point if the league did back pay. What you just listed drives his value DOWN.
    lmao.. and if he was injured and missed a year people would say he is injury prone.

Regardless of injury or not it always used against RB?s when it comes to contracts.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Legend

User Info Menu

Good bye in advance to a sluglike locker room lawyer who wants a union for RB's.
    Tomlin hasn't won a playoff game in seven years and counting. The earliest will be eight years. I guess that in Art Rooney's II, opinion is worth a 3 year extension.

Our 2024 draft looks to be grade A. Our 2023 draft is an A. The roster is talented, but Mike Tomlin is still the head coach.

Legend

User Info Menu

punished for staying healthy.

For the record, if we extend him this year its fine but I don?t think its fair to ask him to prove his worth with this OL and no insurance. That?s risky biz.
    I get your position Felt. And I'm not unsympathetic to RBs.

But the team should absolutely be in the business of doing what's best for the team. Not what's best for individuals.

And I think we agreed on that when we were talking about Ben.

Legend

User Info Menu

There was a report that they are waiting to see how he looks in Smiths offense. Doesn?t make sense to me.

There is also a third option that works against Najee. Injury. If he finally gets injured his value drops when he hits FA.

This is why most players hold in now when its their last contract year. Don?t be surprised if Najee has a ?hold in? during camp.
    I won't be surprised if he holds in during camp. I might do that myself if I was in his shoes.

But I can't imagine that he'll follow Bell's lead and opt out of real games. I think the financial penalties for that are pretty severe (which is also why players hold in instead of hold out).

Legend

User Info Menu

lmao.. and if he was injured and missed a year people would say he is injury prone.

Regardless of injury or not it always used against RB?s when it comes to contracts.
    It's not about him as an individual.

It's about the position he plays.

There's a reason elite guys who are much better RBs than Najee (e.g. CMC, Chubb) aren't on the list of guys with consecutive 1000 yard seasons.

Maybe Najee is immune to injury. But it's not likely.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    I get your position Felt. And I'm not unsympathetic to RBs.

But the team should absolutely be in the business of doing what's best for the team. Not what's best for individuals.

And I think we agreed on that when we were talking about Ben.
    3rd contracts sure, but second contracts that aren’t cap crushing?

and I like Warren but can he carry the load like Najee? Not so sure.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    It's not about him as an individual.

It's about the position he plays.

There's a reason elite guys who are much better RBs than Najee (e.g. CMC, Chubb) aren't on the list of guys with consecutive 1000 yard seasons.

Maybe Najee is immune to injury. But it's not likely.
    which is why you don’t pay him elite RB money.

I expect a hold in if he doesn’t get a deal done before camp.