Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: In a few hours, we'll know about Harris' 5th year option

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Flasteel View Post
    I don't have a problem with not picking up his 5th year option or not giving him an extension prior to the season. I see nothing wrong with lighting a fire underneath Harris and letting him play 2024 as a contract year. If he has a good or great season, then resign him. There won't be any kind of crazy market for a running back as others have alluded.
    This. Decisions on non-elite RBs can go either way.

Elsewhere, I've seen comments talking about how they were confused because Najee is the only RB in the league with 3 straight 1k seasons.

Which I think means he's the only good RB who hasn't lost significant time to injury in 3 years. It's probably not a good bet that he'll go another 2 (the 4th and 5th years).

I hope goes out and has the best year of his career (en route to a SB).

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Flasteel View Post
    I don't have a problem with not picking up his 5th year option or not giving him an extension prior to the season. I see nothing wrong with lighting a fire underneath Harris and letting him play 2024 as a contract year. If he has a good or great season, then resign him. There won't be any kind of crazy market for a running back as others have alluded.
    Asking a RB who played through a linsfrac injury, carried the rock a ton with 3 straight 1,000+ yard seasons, all with subpar OL play to prove his worth in his last contract year is ridiculous.
    Last edited by feltdizz; 05-02-2024 at 05:56 PM.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post

Elsewhere, I've seen comments talking about how they were confused because Najee is the only RB in the league with 3 straight 1k seasons.

Which I think means he's the only good RB who hasn't lost significant time to injury in 3 years. It's probably not a good bet that he'll go another 2 (the 4th and 5th years).

that’s me and his durability playing in the AFCN is why $7 mill is a decent price.

that isn’t top 5 RB money. Its right in line with his production. I hope he gets it in an extension.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Asking a RB who played through a linsfrac injury, carried the rock a ton with 3 straight 1,000+ yard seasons, all with subpar OL play to prove his worth in his last contract year is ridiculous.
    You get paid for expected future performance. And good but not great RBs don't get paid all that much. I assume that we'll offer him a contract that's reasonable and probably about as much as he could get elsewhere.

And RBs just don't age well.
    Last edited by Northern_Blitz; 05-02-2024 at 06:16 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

that’s me and his durability playing in the AFCN is why $7 mill is a decent price.

that isn’t top 5 RB money. Its right in line with his production. I hope he gets it in an extension.
    I think you might have missed the argument here.

This stat suggest that no other good RB has gone 3 years in a row without missing significant time.

This is why the 5th year option isn't good for RBs. Betting that a RB stays healthy this year (because his market value craters if he doesn't) and next year (the year with the guaranteed salary that puts him as the 10th highest paid RB) doesn't seem to be a good bet.

I think it would have been find if we did it because RBs prices reflect this already. But I think declining the option is a (slightly) better decision because the risk for RBs being healthy for two years in a row isn't good.

This is also why I think an extension is a better option. Get some term. Give him some money now. But make it so you can walk away if things go south quickly.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by WindyCitySteel View Post
    Denied. Wonder if he'll hold out.
    I'm surprised. I thought they'd extend him.

Legend

User Info Menu

I think you might have missed the argument here.

This stat suggest that no other good RB has gone 3 years in a row without missing significant time.

This is why the 5th year option isn't good for RBs. Betting that a RB stays healthy this year (because his market value craters if he doesn't) and next year (the year with the guaranteed salary that puts him as the 10th highest paid RB) doesn't seem to be a good bet.

I think it would have been find if we did it because RBs prices reflect this already. But I think declining the option is a (slightly) better decision because the risk for RBs being healthy for two years in a row isn't good.

This is also why I think an extension is a better option. Get some term. Give him some money now. But make it so you can walk away if things go south quickly.
    punished for staying healthy.

For the record, if we extend him this year its fine but I don’t think its fair to ask him to prove his worth with this OL and no insurance. That’s risky biz.

Starter

User Info Menu

The list of RBs who have slowed down in years 4-6 is essentially infinite. I was mostly indifferent about the 5th year option here. I think this is just mostly about RB market value (or lack thereof).

Legend

User Info Menu

You would have a point if the league did back pay. What you just listed drives his value DOWN.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Legend

User Info Menu

Omagaaad… they didnt sign fields to a 5th year option.

No way he will ever be on the team beyond this season

/sarcasm

but, chill out peeps…
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's final Mock
    1.20 - Tailiese Fuaga, OT, Oregon St
    2.51 - Zach Frazier, C, WVU
    3.84 - Luke Mccaffery, WR, Rice
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.117 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    6.178 - Travis Glover, OT, Ga State
    6.195 - Dillon Johnson, RB, Washington