Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: The Jones vs Fautanu question

Legend

User Info Menu

On topic, Troy vs Broderick is easy. They both get a shot at LT? and RT. Because if Dan Moore stays as a backup, he?ll probably come In at LT and either young guy would move over to RT.

That?s my take based on Moore?s history.

Man, they are going to have a tough time cutting to 53 this year. And that?s a good thing
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's final Mock
    1.20 - Tailiese Fuaga, OT, Oregon St
    2.51 - Zach Frazier, C, WVU
    3.84 - Luke Mccaffery, WR, Rice
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.117 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    6.178 - Travis Glover, OT, Ga State
    6.195 - Dillon Johnson, RB, Washington

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    On topic, Troy vs Broderick is easy. They both get a shot at LT? and RT. Because if Dan Moore stays as a backup, he?ll probably come In at LT and either young guy would move over to RT.

That?s my take based on Moore?s history.

Man, they are going to have a tough time cutting to 53 this year. And that?s a good thing
    I'll say I'm not on board with a backup (assuming Moore does not win the starting spot) determining that a young starter gets moved if they have to bring him in. I'd rather find a backup who can play either.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    This whole NATURAL POSITION thing is nothing but recency bias.

It WAS a thing with Dotson true. I believe I was among the first to say it here. But the blanket idea that you cannot project a lineman to a different position ever is stupid.

Since Webster in the 70s two of our best 3 centers WERE previously GUARDS (Hartings and Dawson). HOFer Dawson I think was our best ever. Pouncey is literally OUR ONLY center of note since the 70s who was a college center. Who was guard on his college team? His BROTHER who became a center.

ON THIS FORUM me and plenty others were screaming to move Willie Colon to guard which was the right move when we finally did it.

ON THIS TEAM Daniels WAS A CENTER.

Ramon was a college tackle and laughs at fans talking about natural position.

I love that we got Frazer when we did. But there is a reason THE ENTIRE LEAGUE believes guard Barton would make the best center of ANYONE in the draft. Some said similar about our guy Troy.

Speaking of Troy, if we got him as the 7th best player in the draft, are we gonna draft someone we got 25rh over him because he was a college right tackle?

Here are the facts about tackles. MOST OF THE BEST ONES in college are left tackles. Not necessarily because it is their NATURAL POSITION but because you put your elite talent there as it is a more valuable position.

Mark my words, if Barton plays center (he is projected as center because his hands are freakishly quick coming out of his stance) he WILL be better than our guy.
    of course its recency bias. It hasn’t worked for us recently so some fans prefer we stop and just draft guys at their natural position.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    He said that he thought *a team* (wink wink) leaked that so he would be around later.
    A Khan man might do something like that.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    This whole NATURAL POSITION thing is nothing but recency bias.

It WAS a thing with Dotson true. I believe I was among the first to say it here. But the blanket idea that you cannot project a lineman to a different position ever is stupid.

Since Webster in the 70s two of our best 3 centers WERE previously GUARDS (Hartings and Dawson). HOFer Dawson I think was our best ever. Pouncey is literally OUR ONLY center of note since the 70s who was a college center. Who was guard on his college team? His BROTHER who became a center.

ON THIS FORUM me and plenty others were screaming to move Willie Colon to guard which was the right move when we finally did it.

ON THIS TEAM Daniels WAS A CENTER.

Ramon was a college tackle and laughs at fans talking about natural position.

I love that we got Frazer when we did. But there is a reason THE ENTIRE LEAGUE believes guard Barton would make the best center of ANYONE in the draft. Some said similar about our guy Troy.

Speaking of Troy, if we got him as the 7th best player in the draft, are we gonna draft someone we got 25rh over him because he was a college right tackle?

Here are the facts about tackles. MOST OF THE BEST ONES in college are left tackles. Not necessarily because it is their NATURAL POSITION but because you put your elite talent there as it is a more valuable position.

Mark my words, if Barton plays center (he is projected as center because his hands are freakishly quick coming out of his stance) he WILL be better than our guy.
    Dawson played center and guard in college. Hartings made the switch and was good at it.

Nobody said we never switched positions until recently, we're just saying if you switch a guy from his natural side and he stinks at his new position, maybe you move him back.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by WindyCitySteel View Post
    Dawson played center and guard in college. Hartings made the switch and was good at it.

Nobody said we never switched positions until recently, we're just saying if you switch a guy from his natural side and he stinks at his new position, maybe you move him back.
    I don't think many teams would displace a high value UFA signing that they know is good on that side for an unproven 4th round pick who's main problem is pre-snap penalties.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    I'll say I'm not on board with a backup (assuming Moore does not win the starting spot) determining that a young starter gets moved if they have to bring him in. I'd rather find a backup who can play either.
    I think Moore starts the season as the starter. For Fauntau, it may well look like it did last year when Broderick took over partway through the season.

Whenever Moore is relieved of his duties, the balance of the season will move the youngsters around because Moore has struggled on the right side.

Sucks, but is better for team.
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's final Mock
    1.20 - Tailiese Fuaga, OT, Oregon St
    2.51 - Zach Frazier, C, WVU
    3.84 - Luke Mccaffery, WR, Rice
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.117 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    6.178 - Travis Glover, OT, Ga State
    6.195 - Dillon Johnson, RB, Washington

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    of course its recency bias. It hasn’t worked for us recently so some fans prefer we stop and just draft guys at their natural position.
    It was that recency bias that I never fully believed that the Steelers were all-in on Barton. Even though he played C three years ago, and did so very well, I think Frazier made the most sense to them. He might not have the same perceived ceiling, but I think the floor is high and the expectation is that he is 100% going to be ready day one.

The Steelers find themselves without a starting C on the roster going into the draft. Last time that happened was after the retirement of Pouncey when the choice was a third round guard with very limited experience at C. There is no margin for error that the pick will not be starting day one.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by WindyCitySteel View Post
    Greene played guard AND center in college too.

He was not a day one starter period regardless position. I wanted Creed in the FIRST, and was SHOCKED we did not take him in the second. If Green was not ready for guard day one dont draft him for a less familiar position. It was a mistake. My beef is with broad generalizations.

No disagreement. Look at the forum history. I noticed his struggles before most. Not suggesting everyone can make that change.

THAT IS WHY WE PUT JONES ON THE RIGHT. Moore can?t play that side. It worked beautifully.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    It was that recency bias that I never fully believed that the Steelers were all-in on Barton. Even though he played C three years ago, and did so very well, I think Frazier made the most sense to them. He might not have the same perceived ceiling, but I think the floor is high and the expectation is that he is 100% going to be ready day one.

The Steelers find themselves without a starting C on the roster going into the draft. Last time that happened was after the retirement of Pouncey when the choice was a third round guard with very limited experience at C. There is no margin for error that the pick will not be starting day one.
    I would suggest that the misread was that we were going center in the first PERIOD. That means we knew we weren’t going Barton.

Does not mean we don’t like Barton better. That said in is true Frazer is more day one proven ready.

The difference between Barton and Green is that Barton is the BEST interior lineman period. Green was perceived as being too small for guard so move him to the short arm position.

Barton is shooting high, while Green was a settle.

TCFCLTC-