Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Jones vs Fautanu question

Legend

User Info Menu

The Jones vs Fautanu question

We have two great young talents. Question is who is left and who is right. Given that Left Tackles make much more money, is Jones really going to want to stay of the right? If he "takes one for the team" and stays on the right, will he want to resign.

Lots of tough decisions as we go through the off season workouts. It will be interesting to see where the team puts Jones and Fautanu.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

On one of his pods, Jon Ledyard said he expected Fautanu to stay on the left since he has so many more reps there. Jones didn't play as much in college so he has less to unlearn.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Jones should go to the left. Fautanu goes to the right. What about Moore at LT. He'll move on after 2024. You can make more $ as a left Tackle .

So.when you examine the finer details of this draft pick, there is potential bad blood being generated.

The CB from Toledo was available. We could have waited until 2025 to replace Dan Moore although in all fairness when did Steeler management tell us they needed to replace him. A+ my a**. How are they going to work this out?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by "BuzzNuter" View Post
    Jones should go to the left. Fautanu goes to the right. What about Moore at LT. He'll move on after 2024. You can make more $ as a left Tackle .

So.when you examine the finer details of this draft pick, there is potential bad blood being generated.

The CB from Toledo was available. We could have waited until 2025 to replace Dan Moore although in all fairness when did Steeler management tell us they needed to replace him. A+ my a**. How are they going to work this out?
    I'm not sure your bad blood angle. Moore...who everyone has been complaining about for years? Jones because he may not go to Left tackle? You don't pass on the highest rated player on your draft board because you are worried about hurt feelings.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    I'm not sure your bad blood angle. Moore...who everyone has been complaining about for years? Jones because he may not go to Left tackle? You don't pass on the highest rated player on your draft board because you are worried about hurt feelings.
    My guess is that he means that whoever gets to play the lower value position might bolt in UFA (like Orlando Brown Jr)

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    My guess is that he means that whoever gets to play the lower value position might bolt in UFA (like Orlando Brown Jr)
    Exactly, Jones was drafted as a LT. He's taller and his measureables are better, aren't they.

When did Mike Tomlin or Omar Khan say something negative about Dan Moore? He has started 3 years in a row. He beat out all challengers. I know here on this board Dan Moore's name is mud but I have never heard management say anything. I believe Fautanu was who they liked. They took the BPA irregardles of need.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    If concerns about Fautanu's long-term viability (because of his knee) are determined to be valid, then the Steelers might opt to put him on the right side for that reason.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by "BuzzNuter" View Post
    Exactly, Jones was drafted as a LT. He's taller and his measureables are better, aren't they.

When did Mike Tomlin or Omar Khan say something negative about Dan Moore? He has started 3 years in a row. He beat out all challengers. I know here on this board Dan Moore's name is mud but I have never heard management say anything. I believe Fautanu was who they liked. They took the BPA irregardles of need.
    By all reports Troy is the better pass blocker. It is clear that Jones is already am outstanding run blocker. I said last season before we even drafted Troy that Jones skills set screams right tackle. I believe that if you ignore feelings you want Troy on the left protecting the QBs blind side.

I do agree with you that considering the pay disparity both men will want to be on the left and it is gonna be a problem ESPECIALLY if Jones is denied the spot when he had to wait behind a vet in favor of a rookie.
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 04-29-2024 at 11:33 PM.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

This stuff will iron itself out in OTAs and camp. All this noise about hurt feelings and bad blood is ridiculous. Those dudes will play wherever they can best help the team.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    We have two great young talents. Question is who is left and who is right. Given that Left Tackles make much more money, is Jones really going to want to stay of the right? If he "takes one for the team" and stays on the right, will he want to resign.

Lots of tough decisions as we go through the off season workouts. It will be interesting to see where the team puts Jones and Fautanu.
    I think Fautanu lacks the ideal agility to play LT well in the NFL. He gave up to many pressures and 2 sacks last year. He did not run the shuttle? Red flag on his side to side agility.

He is best used on film in screen and sweeps. He was used in College perfectly. Very coordinated in hitting defenders.

I think he is the type of player who better watch with his weight. Yes -- he is in shape now. But he is prone to put on weight quickly as he ages.

Now he can be a good right tackle or a guard. For us I play him at RT and Jones at LT.
    Tomlin hasn't won a playoff game in seven years and counting. The earliest will be eight years. Art Rooney II, get a new head coach.

Our 2024 draft is grade A.