Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Jones vs Fautanu question

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

People it isn't a matter of feelings it's a matter of $. LTS make more. Jones is a good lineman. The reason he transitioned so well to RT is his agility.

Jones' footwork is excellent for a modern day Olinemen. These young guys don't have footwork. If you watch the Combine few of them can pull correctly. They are so big and strong that's why they battle each other like rock em sock em robots. Jones is different he pivots with his rear foot and steps. I watched isolation film of him and he played RT better then Okafor. And this from a guy that played LT at Georgia. We may play Jones at RT but he will resign with someone else as a LT.

Legend

User Info Menu

B. Jones:
    • Needs to work on his technique in pass protection, using more consistent leverage and continuing to move his feet.
    • As an outside chance to stick at left tackle, but he might actually fit better on the right side or kicking in to a guard spot.
    • Stops his feet after initial contact, relying on length but allowing the defender to get the corner or spin inside
    T Fautanu:

• Sometimes displays a rushed approach in pass protection, leading to balance issues and vulnerability to strategic rushers.
    • Inconsistent positioning can lead to quick losses against rushers with complex, deceptive moves.
    • Not dominating as a run blocker, will need to refine his technique especially if playing a traditional offense at the next level

Legend

User Info Menu

Fautanu was a LT in college but to a left handed passer.

I'd say Jones goes to LT & Fautanu to RT.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Flasteel View Post
    This stuff will iron itself out in OTAs and camp. All this noise about hurt feelings and bad blood is ridiculous. Those dudes will play wherever they can best help the team.
    Exactly. As with most questions like this, the answer will come to us.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Buchsbaum View Post
    I think Fautanu lacks the ideal agility to play LT well in the NFL. He gave up to many pressures and 2 sacks last year. He did not run the shuttle? Red flag on his side to side agility.

He is best used on film in screen and sweeps. He was used in College perfectly. Very coordinated in hitting defenders.

I think he is the type of player who better watch with his weight. Yes -- he is in shape now. But he is prone to put on weight quickly as he ages.

Now he can be a good right tackle or a guard. For us I play him at RT and Jones at LT.
    This seems interesting to me.

We've been bad at screens for what feels like forever to me. Hopefully this improves with TF.

And every time we run Najee out wide on something like a sweep, I just shake my head and assume that it's not going to be a successful play. But if we can get good blocking on these types of runs, maybe Najee can get around the corner and matched up against smaller defenders. It could also be that I remember the bad sweeps much more than the good ones (if those exist).

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    Fautanu was a LT in college but to a left handed passer.

I'd say Jones goes to LT & Fautanu to RT.
    There's also a bunch of people reporting (probably repeating from one report somewhere) that TF played RT in HS. If he has some experience there (even if it's a long time ago), maybe it makes it easier for him to switch back there?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    Exactly. As with most questions like this, the answer will come to us.
    Like it did with Dotson? The Green and Dotson fails make me a bit leery on their evaluations of players on the OL.

Legend

User Info Menu

Omar Khan: Steelers were "working the phones" to move up for Troy Fautanu

The Steelers were hoping to get Troy Fautanu one way or another

Apr 30, 2024

The Pittsburgh Steelers knocked the 2024 NFL Draft out of the park, staying put at every one of their picks and not having to trade up to get the guys they wanted. The Steelers landed Troy Fautanu, Zach Frazier, Roman Wilson, and Payton Wilson in the first three rounds, all four of

However, while appearing on The Pat McAfee Show, Steelers general manager said the Steelers were calling teams in hopes of moving up to make sure they landed the star offensive tackle out of Washington.

"We were working the phones hoping the opportunity was there to draft Troy," Khan said. "Fortunately, he was still there at 20 when we weren't able to get a deal done. But we got him at 20 and I can't tell you how excited we are to have him. He's a Steeler."

Fautanu is expected to start as a rookie. Whether that will be on the right side or left side will likely be determined in training camp.

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co...2024-nfl-draft
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........Knuckle up. Punk.

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Like it did with Dotson? The Green and Dotson fails make me a bit leery on their evaluations of players on the OL.
    My guess is that lots of OL end up playing different positions in the NFL vs. college. Especially if you consider switching sides playing a different position (like with Dotson).

I think the issue with Dotson was mental sharpness (presnap penalties). And I think being given up on made him take it more seriously.

Green was just a reach because they prioritized BPA over need (although I'd argue that they were wrong about who the BPA was).

Legend

User Info Menu

let the best man win. I don’t think Penix being left hand matters one bit in determining if he plays LT or RT. If he is a LT then it sucks for Jones but he stays at RT.

I just hope we don’t have to wait for too long for Dan Moore to say something stupid so we have an excuse to start Fautuna.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"