X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • flippy
    Legend
    • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Captain Lemming
    Fastest man in the conference, had nation leading numbers?

Yet another example of why undrafted free agent signing seem more exciting than late round
    picks.

Heck I don?t get why WE did not draft him over the guy we actually took. So weird.

Well at least we got him now.
    I think it?s because he?s older. Might be 25???

When we finished picking in the 6th, I started to wonder if we might have a better UDFA haul advantage because we could spend the entire 7th round prepping while other teams still have to pick.
    sigpic

Comment

• Captain Lemming
      Legend
      • Jun 2008

5’10” 183
      More details that leaves you scratching your head as to why nobody even took a flyer on him.

Bishop led the nation in passes defended (24), pass breakups (20), finished second in forced imcompletions (17), and tied for 19th in interceptions (4).

Despite the remarkable season, Bishop did not receive an invite to the Reeses Senior Bowl or NFL Combine. He did, however, have the opportunity to get in front of NFL scouts at the Big 12s first-ever all-league Pro Day and he did not disappoint. There, he ran extremely well, recording the best 40-yard dash time (4.39) and a 20-yard shuttle of 4.15.
      Fun fact. Beanie had HIGHER All American accolades than fellow Moutaineer this board’s favorite draft pick ZACH FRAZIER.

Beanie Bishop

All-American Selections

College Football Network First Team (12/3)

USA Today Second Team (12/6)
      CBS/247 Sports Honorable Mention (12/6)
      Bleacher Report First Team (12/7)
      Walter Camp First Team (12/
      FWAA First Team (12/11)
      AP Second Team (12/11)
      ———————-

Zach Frazier

All-American Selections
      College Football Network Second Team (12/3)
      The Athletic Second Team (12/6)
      Sports Illustrated Second Team (12/6)
      AP Third Team (12/11)

————————

Leads the nation in pass breakups, runs a Big 12 best 4.39 40 AND the most decorated All American of ALL our rookies?

The fact that this dude was not drafted is insane to me.
      Last edited by Captain Lemming; 04-27-2024, 10:25 PM.
      sigpic

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
      The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Comment

• SteelerOfDeVille
        Legend
        • May 2008

Heck I don’t get why WE did not draft him over the guy we actually took. So weird.
        my guess... conversations were had with him and they knew he'd come... now they got both of them instead of just one of them.
        2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's final Mock
        1.20 - Tailiese Fuaga, OT, Oregon St
        2.51 - Zach Frazier, C, WVU
        3.84 - Luke Mccaffery, WR, Rice
        3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
        4.117 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
        6.178 - Travis Glover, OT, Ga State
        6.195 - Dillon Johnson, RB, Washington

Comment

• Buzz
          Legend
          • Dec 2017

One more that I missed -- Aeneas Dennis, QB, Benedict College

also, John Rys Plumlee is now listed as QB/WR instead of just QB

Comment

• SteelerOfDeVille
            Legend
            • May 2008

Originally posted by Buzz
            Daijun Edwards, RB, Georgia
            Had to go watch highlights.

not especially big or fast. Has damn good vision and runs hard for his size. Doesn?t have much wiggle, but he sees hole and finds hole.

if they keep one beyond cordarrelle, he has got a good chance to make final cuts.
            2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's final Mock
            1.20 - Tailiese Fuaga, OT, Oregon St
            2.51 - Zach Frazier, C, WVU
            3.84 - Luke Mccaffery, WR, Rice
            3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
            4.117 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
            6.178 - Travis Glover, OT, Ga State
            6.195 - Dillon Johnson, RB, Washington

Comment

• Captain Lemming
              Legend
              • Jun 2008

Originally posted by SteelerOfDeVille
              Had to go watch highlights.

not especially big or fast. Has damn good vision and runs hard for his size. Doesn?t have much wiggle, but he sees hole and finds hole.

if they keep one beyond cordarrelle, he has got a good chance to make final cuts.
              Yeah right.
              What do YOU KNOW about picking what undrafted rookie running backs will succeed on this team?
              Last edited by Captain Lemming; 04-28-2024, 01:20 AM.
              sigpic

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-

Comment

• Ernie
                Legend
                • Aug 2013

Fun fact. Beanie had HIGHER All American accolades than fellow Moutaineer this board?s favorite draft pick ZACH FRAZIER.

Beanie Bishop

All-American Selections

College Football Network First Team (12/3)

CBS/247 Sports Honorable Mention (12/6)
                Bleacher Report First Team (12/7)
                Walter Camp First Team (12/
                FWAA First Team (12/11)
                AP Second Team (12/11)
                ???????-

Zach Frazier

All-American Selections
                College Football Network Second Team (12/3)
                The Athletic Second Team (12/6)
                Sports Illustrated Second Team (12/6)
                AP Third Team (12/11)

????????

Leads the nation in pass breakups, runs a Big 12 best 4.39 40 AND the most decorated All American of ALL our rookies?

The fact that this dude was not drafted is insane to me.
                He was projected initially as a mid round pick. Not sure why he fell.. but im glad we got him. As a WVU fan.. i watched him all year. He has a real chance to stick for us.

Comment

• hawaiiansteel
                  Legend
                  • May 2008

Originally posted by Ernie
                  He was projected initially as a mid round pick. Not sure why he fell.. but im glad we got him. As a WVU fan.. i watched him all year. He has a real chance to stick for us.
                  I think so too.

as of right now, he's the only true slot/nickel CB on our roster.
                  Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........Knuckle up. Punk.

My IT guy...
                  Hahahahahahaha

Comment

• Joel Buchsbaum
                    Legend
                    • Jan 2021

All 11 rookie free agents

Tomlin hasn't won a playoff game in seven years and counting. The earliest will be eight years. I guess that in Art Rooney's II, opinion is worth a 3 year extension.

Our 2024 draft looks to be grade A. Our 2023 draft is an A. The roster is talented, but Mike Tomlin is still the head coach.

*** Mike Tomlin is the best coach since the AFL- NFL merger that has not won a playoff game in 8 seasons or more. It's either him or Lewis. ***

Comment

• Ernie
                      Legend
                      • Aug 2013

Originally posted by hawaiiansteel
                      I think so too.

as of right now, he's the only true slot/nickel CB on our roster.
                      He could be our next Mike Hilton..

Comment

• NorthCoast
                        Legend
                        • Sep 2008

I was on Bishop earlier this year as a target and wasn't sure why he fell either. Is there an undisclosed injury/issue?

Profile from wvsports:

Beanie Bishop came to West Virginia in 2023 knowing it was his last chance to prove he?s an NFL level player. And Bishop did that and then some in his lone season for the Mountaineers.

However, Bishop?s success at WVU was not enough to earn him an invite to the NFL Combine, something that added more fuel to his fire. But for a player who told WV Sports Now that he know he?s elite when the ball is in the air, Bishop is hoping one NFL team will give him an opportunity to carry that chip on his shoulder to the professional ranks and see how far his confidence and skills can take him.

Beanie Bishop?s College Bio
                        The Louisville, Ky. native, who was a star at Western Kentucky before failing to make an impact in the Big Ten at Minnesota, helped swing momentum in big games for WVU, most notably in a Backyard Brawl win over Pitt. Bishop made 67 total tackles, deflected 20 passes, picked off four and even returned a punt for an historic touchdown in a bowl victory.

All in all, Bishop made the most of his time as a Mountaineer. In fact, he will forever be part of West Virginia history despite only playing one season at WVU. Bishop was named the program?s 13th consensus All-American for his 2023 season.

Teams to Watch
                        Bishop had pre-draft visits with the Cleveland Browns, Washington Commanders and even the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Could Bishop be a fit as a slot option for Mike Tomlin?

Pros for Beanie Bishop in NFL
                        • Work ethic
                        • Confidence
                        • Won?t back down from anyone
                        • Not afraid to get physical
                        • Can run with most receivers
                        • Gets hand on the ball
                        • Ability to return kickoff and punts

Areas of Concern for Beanie Bishop in NFL
                        • Should have come up with even more interceptions in 2023
                        • Dropped picks
                        • Undersized for a cornerback
                        • May draw penalties
                        • Issues locating the deep ball
                        • Only had one successful season in a major conference

Big 12 Pro Day Testing
                        • 40 time: 4.39
                        • 1.82 ?flying 20?
                        • shuttle time: 4.15

So he's a CB that can't catch? If he can be an Ike Taylor2.0 I'll take that every day of the week.

Comment

• Jooser
                          Legend
                          • Jul 2008

Good signing.... he has a chance to stick
                          Yup, many had Beanie going in the 4-5 round range, solid UNFA pickup, he may raise some eyebrows in camp. Of course, I'm just a homer....
                          ​2019 MNFE CHAMPION

Comment

• Jooser
                            Legend
                            • Jul 2008

He has this upside as well......
                            ​2019 MNFE CHAMPION

Comment

• Captain Lemming
                              Legend
                              • Jun 2008

Originally posted by NorthCoast
                              I was on Bishop earlier this year as a target and wasn't sure why he fell either. Is there an undisclosed injury/issue?

Profile from wvsports:

Beanie Bishop came to West Virginia in 2023 knowing it was his last chance to prove he?s an NFL level player. And Bishop did that and then some in his lone season for the Mountaineers.

However, Bishop?s success at WVU was not enough to earn him an invite to the NFL Combine, something that added more fuel to his fire. But for a player who told WV Sports Now that he know he?s elite when the ball is in the air, Bishop is hoping one NFL team will give him an opportunity to carry that chip on his shoulder to the professional ranks and see how far his confidence and skills can take him.

Beanie Bishop?s College Bio
                              The Louisville, Ky. native, who was a star at Western Kentucky before failing to make an impact in the Big Ten at Minnesota, helped swing momentum in big games for WVU, most notably in a Backyard Brawl win over Pitt. Bishop made 67 total tackles, deflected 20 passes, picked off four and even returned a punt for an historic touchdown in a bowl victory.

All in all, Bishop made the most of his time as a Mountaineer. In fact, he will forever be part of West Virginia history despite only playing one season at WVU. Bishop was named the program?s 13th consensus All-American for his 2023 season.

Teams to Watch
                              Bishop had pre-draft visits with the Cleveland Browns, Washington Commanders and even the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Could Bishop be a fit as a slot option for Mike Tomlin?

Pros for Beanie Bishop in NFL
                              • Work ethic
                              • Confidence
                              • Won?t back down from anyone
                              • Not afraid to get physical
                              • Can run with most receivers
                              • Gets hand on the ball
                              • Ability to return kickoff and punts

Areas of Concern for Beanie Bishop in NFL
                              • Should have come up with even more interceptions in 2023
                              • Dropped picks
                              • Undersized for a cornerback
                              • May draw penalties
                              • Issues locating the deep ball
                              • Only had one successful season in a major conference

Big 12 Pro Day Testing
                              • 40 time: 4.39
                              • 1.82 ?flying 20?
                              • shuttle time: 4.15

So he's a CB that can't catch? If he can be an Ike Taylor2.0 I'll take that every day of the week.

https://wvsportsnow.com/nfl-draft-pr...oogle_vignette
                              I think I’ve figured why. He gave up 5 scores. STILL dude should have been drafted.

But if you consider his stats, he was attacked a lot. Without film this rells me:

Receivers APPEAR open against him but he closes fast. Thus gets hands on the ball a ton but gets stung on occasion.

Save for a shared lack of hands he seems the polar opposite of JPJ who prevents attempts altogether.

I think he has nice skills for a slot.
                              Last edited by Captain Lemming; 04-28-2024, 11:58 AM.
                              sigpic

TCFCLTC-

Comment

• hawaiiansteel
                                Legend
                                • May 2008

How Likely Pittsburgh Steelers Undrafted Free Agents Are to Make Roster

1. Beanie Bishop DB, West Virginia

Of all five Steelers undrafted free agents, Bishop is head and shoulders the most likely to make the team. While Pittsburgh had a great draft, they didn't do anything to address their need at slot cornerback. They will probably sign a slot-capable veteran, but Bishop could fill that role perfectly for them. Bishop was a second-team All-American and first-team All-Big 12 selection last season. He is the embodiment of a playmaker, totaling four interceptions and 67 tackles last year. Bishop is very solid in run support, too, which the Steelers always expect of their nickel cornerbacks. Pittsburgh will sign another cornerback, but Bishop will compete in training camp with a real shot of making the roster.

The announcement of Mr. Irrelevant is not where the NFL Draft process really ends. After the last pick, many players are signed by teams after going undrafted.
                                Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........Knuckle up. Punk.

My IT guy...
                                Hahahahahahaha

Comment

Working...