Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A draft so seamless it seems scripted

Legend

User Info Menu

A draft so seamless it seems scripted

DK's Daily Shot of Steelers: A draft so seamless it seems scripted

Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........Knuckle up. Punk.

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Are there any Wilsons left to draft on Day 3? Gotta fill a quad box:

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post

And here he is:

Johnny Wilson, standing tall at 6-foot-7 and weighing in at 235 lbs, is a native of Calabasas, CA where he showcased his prowess on the gridiron for Calabasas High School. As a high school standout, Wilson earned 4-star recruit distinctions from both ESPN and 247 Sports. He initially set his sights on the University of Oregon but later flipped his commitment, spending his freshman and sophomore years at Arizona State. There, he garnered limited game time with stats totaling 18 receptions, one touchdown, and QB ratings when targeted at 69.1 and 50.6 for his freshman and sophomore years, respectively.

In 2022, after making the move to Florida State, Wilson's college career took a meteoric rise. Playing in 12 games, he emerged as a primary receiving threat, amassing 43 receptions for an impressive 897 yards, averaging just over 20 yards per catch. His performance culminated in five touchdown catches, and when targeted, he presented a formidable QB rating of 109.1.

Wilson's accolades for his junior year are a testament to his dominant play on the field. He was awarded Second-Team All-ACC, recognized on the Third-Team All-ACC by Phil Steele, and capped off the year by claiming the title of FSU's Offensive Newcomer of the Year. The combination of his remarkable size and unparalleled speed, exemplified by his 4.5 range in the 40-yard dash during high school and notable metrics in the 2023 offseason, has surely solidified his spot on the NFL's radar.

Legend

User Info Menu

Well planned things work out that way. I still think the turn over in the scouts when Weidl showed up is the difference maker. Weidl may be our Most Valuable Person when it comes to the front ofice
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Well planned things work out that way. I still think the turn over in the scouts when Weidl showed up is the difference maker. Weidl may be our Most Valuable Person when it comes to the front ofice
    What I think has changed is an attitude from the past that "we're smarter than everyone else". The Green pick absolutely smacked of that.

No, you're not smarter than everyone else. Information/analytics/tape is just too available to everyone. No more overthinking, no more 'we can develop this guy' into a starter. The #1 predictor of success in the NFL is production in college. And these picks have been productive.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    And I will refute this AGAIN by reminding you he creates a board that seems no different than we would create.

Khan/ Tomlin decided who to pick, what trades to make, balance that board with team needs etc.

For example they were fielding trade offers and said no on day one. Center was CLEARLY our biggest NEED. They could have moved back, gotten another pick and know for CERTAIN they get a top center. But they would not get a top tackle.

IF they kept the pick sure tackle was top on the board. He was rated higher than EVERY center BY EVERYONE. The board was obvious.

But Khan is making the call NOT to trade down IN THE MOMENT to ENSURE he gets a center. That is a risk.

He GAMBLED THAT THEIR TOP NEED (CENTER) WOULD FALL.

Khan gambled and won. I will ALSO suggest that Tomlin seemed to be the one most emphatic about taking Troy. Kept raving about his tape. Did he lean in on Khan (who was not sounding enthusiastic before Tomlin jumped in) NOT to accept an offer?

Nah man, Weidl creates a static board. What we do on a fluid day of? That is Khan/ Tomlin.
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 04-27-2024 at 10:09 AM.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Legend

User Info Menu

What I think has changed is an attitude from the past that "we're smarter than everyone else". The Green pick absolutely smacked of that.

No, you're not smarter than everyone else. Information/analytics/tape is just too available to everyone. No more overthinking, no more 'we can develop this guy' into a starter. The #1 predictor of success in the NFL is production in college. And these picks have been productive.
    I think you are absolutely right about this change.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Legend

User Info Menu

And here he is:
    Johnny Wilson still available as we approach round 6

Legend

User Info Menu

Personally, I think the Bo Nix and McCarthy picks turned the draft on its head and those picks had some unintended consequences (all good for the Steelers) down stream.

Pappy

The 2024 Pittsburgh Steeler draft

1.20 - Troy Fautanu, T, Washington
    2.51 - Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia
    3.84 - Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan
    3.98 - Payton Wilson, LB, UNC
    4.119 - Mason McCprmick, OG, S. Dakota St
    7.178 - Logan Lee, DT, Iowa
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

David Todd
    @DavidMTodd

#Steelers have more Wilsons than the Beach Boys.

Apr 27, 2024

https://twitter.com/DavidMTodd/statu...8187post858187
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........Knuckle up. Punk.

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha