Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A draft so seamless it seems scripted

Backup

User Info Menu

I feel the Steelers are a year ahead in projections every draft these days. They tend to have needs where fewer others do and then time it with enough available choices to their needs where they can’t miss. They truly feel they know other teams greatest needs and set themselves up in knowing. Plus knowing the Abundances. I thought it was just happy gambling and good fortune last year. This year has proven they are hedging and reading the entire market a year in advance. Including FA. THEY KNEW THEY WERE GETTING A CENTRE in round two. That’s proper value. And they aren’t wrong. For example: no draft in recent t memory (if ever?) has seen more than three true C picked before the end of round 2. It was almost not a fable with history on their side. That said, this draft set historical trends to blaze. Ha.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    And I will refute this AGAIN by reminding you he creates a board that seems no different than we would create.

Khan/ Tomlin decided who to pick, what trades to make, balance that board with team needs etc.

For example they were fielding trade offers and said no on day one. Center was CLEARLY our biggest NEED. They could have moved back, gotten another pick and know for CERTAIN they get a top center. But they would not get a top tackle.

IF they kept the pick sure tackle was top on the board. He was rated higher than EVERY center BY EVERYONE. The board was obvious.

But Khan is making the call NOT to trade down IN THE MOMENT to ENSURE he gets a center. That is a risk.

He GAMBLED THAT THEIR TOP NEED (CENTER) WOULD FALL.

Khan gambled and won. I will ALSO suggest that Tomlin seemed to be the one most emphatic about taking Troy. Kept raving about his tape. Did he lean in on Khan (who was not sounding enthusiastic before Tomlin jumped in) NOT to accept an offer?

Nah man, Weidl creates a static board. What we do on a fluid day of? That is Khan/ Tomlin.
    Next to Zero gamble according to drafting history through two rounds.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dreegking View Post
    Next to Zero gamble according to drafting history through two rounds.
    I dont really disagree with you. In fact your earlier post is spot on. As you described Khan likely saw the trend you mentioned.

I will make my point in a way that we likely both agree. It IS a gamble (a team COULD have drafted Frazier and destroyed it) but a low risk, one based on history. That makes it the right call.

My larger point is that Khan has to KNOW these things and as a result he takes WISE low risk gambles. Ones that Colbert did not make.

This goes to the point of my post that it is INSANE to credit Weidl when it is Khan making the split second decisions like these.

The biggest difference in the post Colbert era is Khan, not Weidl.
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 04-27-2024 at 09:54 PM.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Legend

User Info Menu

Not sure why people get so hung up on Weidl or Khan getting credit. They work together. Happy to have them both.

Plus we all know if a draft pick fails its Tomlin’s fault.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Legend

User Info Menu

or, as the conspiracy buffs might put it, "a draft so scripted, it seemed seamless"

maybe the powers that be have decided they want to let the Steelers have a couple go-rounds of great success

Legend

User Info Menu

McCarthy and Pennix being drafted where they were upset this draft, in a good way.
    Help me find my post proving I am a Yinzer!

Find the post Ovi labeled me a troll!

We want to roll people!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    I dont really disagree with you. In fact your earlier post is spot on. As you described Khan likely saw the trend you mentioned.

I will make my point in a way that we likely both agree. It IS a gamble (a team COULD have drafted Frazier and destroyed it) but a low risk, one based on history. That makes it the right call.

My larger point is that Khan has to KNOW these things and as a result he takes WISE low risk gambles. Ones that Colbert did not make.

This goes to the point of my post that it is INSANE to credit Weidl when it is Khan making the split second decisions like these.

The biggest difference in the post Colbert era is Khan, not Weidl.
    I don't think we need to define who gets what credit. I'm sure that Weidl is standing right beside Khan while he is on the phone deciding whether to take the trade down offer or stick with Fautanu. Bottom line is that the Khan/Weidl team works MUCH better than Colbert before them. Khan didn't suddenly become a personnel scouting expert once Colbert left, but he does seem to have the sense to let everyone play to their strengths.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    I don't think we need to define who gets what credit. I'm sure that Weidl is standing right beside Khan while he is on the phone deciding whether to take the trade down offer or stick with Fautanu. Bottom line is that the Khan/Weidl team works MUCH better than Colbert before them. Khan didn't suddenly become a personnel scouting expert once Colbert left, but he does seem to have the sense to let everyone play to their strengths.
    Actually TOMLIN (who you don’t mention) is the one right there next to Khan. Khan said that on draft day he Tomlin and Rooney make the picks.

These picks that they make are informed by the hard work of Weidl who makes the board and the scouts. But on draft day decisions are made by the big 3.

I am not making this up. Khans words:
    https://steelersdepot.com/2023/02/st...art-rooney-ii/
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 04-29-2024 at 01:17 AM.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-

Legend

User Info Menu

I think the draft broke really well for us. And that we seemed confident enough in the board to pick what was there. You never know what the "true" rankings end up being when you're picking. But it looks like we had a plan and executed it pretty well.

I don't think it was strategy or stones that kept us from trading up in the 2nd.

I think it was knowledge that we had too many needs to fill and we needed those picks.

Especially in the top 3-4 round in a draft most considered to be not very good at the low end.

It also appears that we may have been more willing than other teams to take risks on guys with injury flags. I don't dislike this approach if you end up with multiple guys who feel like they fell lower / much lower than they should have. You'll lose some of these bets. But you'll win some too.

I was worried that we wouldn't get a C in round 2. And it was a close thing. But I'm glad that taking a more BPA focused approach in the 1st round paid off.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    I think the draft broke really well for us. And that we seemed confident enough in the board to pick what was there. You never know what the "true" rankings end up being when you're picking. But it looks like we had a plan and executed it pretty well.

I don't think it was strategy or stones that kept us from trading up in the 2nd.

I think it was knowledge that we had too many needs to fill and we needed those picks.

Especially in the top 3-4 round in a draft most considered to be not very good at the low end.

It also appears that we may have been more willing than other teams to take risks on guys with injury flags. I don't dislike this approach if you end up with multiple guys who feel like they fell lower / much lower than they should have. You'll lose some of these bets. But you'll win some too.

I was worried that we wouldn't get a C in round 2. And it was a close thing. But I'm glad that taking a more BPA focused approach in the 1st round paid off.
    I actually think the team did not fear risking a miss on Frazier to get Troy.

If they judged him 7th that is an ELITE left tackle. You don’t pass that up for an AVERAGE center no matter the need. And Frazier IS average. He is just mature and ready to start his average career.

TCFCLTC-