Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Round 3b-Peyton Wilson

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    When it comes to athleticism and talent he is a first round pick. To fall to 3b tells you how significant his injury history is. This is the type of pick that sounds amazing on paper because you see the 40 time, you see the tape. You hear from opposing coaches that he is just a beast to play against. But availability is the best ability. Based on pure talent I had Edgerrin Cooper ahead of him but not by much. It?s the injury history that really concerns me. If the Steelers can find creative ways to use him and keep him healthy then this could turn out to be the steal of the draft. But, I?m not holding my breathe on that one.
    Creative being a passing form linebacker. Which is what he’ll play as things sit with the current roster. That’s a decent protective measure allowing his body time to further heal up as he grows man bones in a matured frame.

Legend

User Info Menu

He played on the edge at times in college too. I wonder if he will get to rush off the edge as a pro?

I think that could still be one of his most unique strengths.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    He played on the edge at times in college too. I wonder if he will get to rush off the edge as a pro?

I think that could still be one of his most unique strengths.
    I think we will absolutely see him rush off the edge. Walk him out in coverage and then let him use that speed n burst to pressure. Having a chess piece that can cover, rush , stack n shed, read keys quickly and is a sure tackler gives us a tactical advantage.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Iron City Inc. View Post
    I think we will absolutely see him rush off the edge. Walk him out in coverage and then let him use that speed n burst to pressure. Having a chess piece that can cover, rush , stack n shed, read keys quickly and is a sure tackler gives us a tactical advantage.
    +1. Wilson may be the missing piece for this defense since Shazier went down.
    Tomlin hasn't won a playoff game in seven years and counting. The earliest will be eight years. I guess that in Art Rooney's II, opinion is worth a 3 year extension.

Our 2024 draft looks to be grade A. Our 2023 draft is an A. The roster is talented, but Mike Tomlin is still the head coach.

Legend

User Info Menu

Third-rounder Payton Wilson (ILB/N.C. State)

One thing that really allowed Patrick Queen to ascend during the last year-and-a-half of his career with the Ravens was his increased usage in the blitz game.

Via NextGen Stats, Queen led all linebackers with 20 quick pressures last season despite blitzing at just the 23rd-highest rate among LBs (minimum 500 snaps). Queen also generated a 25.5% pressure rate in 2023, the sixth-highest among linebackers (min. 50 pass rushes).

Having Roquan Smith as a running partner certainly aided in that regard.

Wilson is not going to be Smith. But if he can prove capable of getting reps in nickel situations with Queen, he may be able to patrol the middle of the field at the second level and allow Queen to attack the quarterback.

Not to mention that Wilson is a pretty good blitzer himself.

Wilson totaled 10.5 sacks during his last two years at N.C. State.

https://triblive.com/sports/tim-benz...ake-an-impact/
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........Knuckle up. Punk.

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    Yup.
    I guess I would have been okay with it in the 4th.
    Couple good cbs were there for the taking.
    Let?s see what happens tomorrow. Maybe they can make up for it.
    12 CBs were already drafted. Number 13 ain't likely to fix our secondary my friend. We can draft CB 13 or the most athletic AND prolific linebacker IN THE ENTIRE DRAFT. Once again you are prioritizing need over BPA. And doing that so late that he won't fill the hole you are looking to fill. We just drafted a guy with ELITE athleticism AND productivity and you want to draft a corner after HALF THE LEAGUE took one?

Dont hate when the teams did EXACTLY what you advocated for YEARS.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    12 CBs were already drafted. Number 13 ain't likely to fix our secondary my friend. We can draft CB 13 or the most athletic AND prolific linebacker IN THE ENTIRE DRAFT. Once again you are prioritizing need over BPA. And doing that so late that he won't fill the hole you are looking to fill. We just drafted a guy with ELITE athleticism AND productivity and you want to draft a corner after HALF THE LEAGUE took one?

Dont hate when the teams did EXACTLY what you advocated for YEARS.
    Dudes accolades:

Chuck Bednarik Award (2023)
    Butkus Award (2023)
    Unanimous All-American (2023)
    ACC Defensive Player of the Year (2023)

Has the highest RAS score I HAVE EVER SEEN in a player we drafted.

Dude ran a 4.43 40 as a 6 foot 4 LINEBACKER.

Faster than any 4th round CORNER we could have drafted instead of him.
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 04-30-2024 at 12:56 AM.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    When it comes to athleticism and talent he is a first round pick. To fall to 3b tells you how significant his injury history is. This is the type of pick that sounds amazing on paper because you see the 40 time, you see the tape. You hear from opposing coaches that he is just a beast to play against. But availability is the best ability. Based on pure talent I had Edgerrin Cooper ahead of him but not by much. It?s the injury history that really concerns me. If the Steelers can find creative ways to use him and keep him healthy then this could turn out to be the steal of the draft. But, I?m not holding my breathe on that one.
    Games played by year: 11,11,2,11,12

Teams ran away from the missing ACL, like they did from Hines Ward for the same reason. Apparently it's not affecting him. The '21 season was lost to a shoulder, I believe, two full seasons since.

Legend

User Info Menu

At the end of the 3rd- he's a great risk to take.

In theory- he could be the best player the Steelers actually drafted this year.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    Dudes accolades:

Chuck Bednarik Award (2023)
    Butkus Award (2023)
    Unanimous All-American (2023)
    ACC Defensive Player of the Year (2023)

Has the highest RAS score I HAVE EVER SEEN in a player we drafted.

Dude ran a 4.43 40 as a 6 foot 4 LINEBACKER.

Faster than any 4th round CORNER we could have drafted instead of him.
    Amazing isn't it, 6ft. 4in, 240 lbs and runs a 4.4 forty. Bigger then Shazier and almost as fast.

This could be one of those great Steeler draft picks that changes our defense or he could get hurt and be a bust. That's why he went in the 4th.