Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Round 3a - Steelers select Roman Wilson WR Michigan

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    I said this in an earlier post, but I always like when the commentary about a WR we draft is "one of the best route runners in the class"
    Honestly, that is the trigger phrase for me, too.
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's final Mock
    1.20 - Tailiese Fuaga, OT, Oregon St
    2.51 - Zach Frazier, C, WVU
    3.84 - Luke Mccaffery, WR, Rice
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.117 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    6.178 - Travis Glover, OT, Ga State
    6.195 - Dillon Johnson, RB, Washington

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    Nick Farabaugh
    @FarabaughFB

Roman Wilson: "I feel like if your mindset is to win a game, you'll go out there and do whatever your coach asks you to do to win. At Michigan, for me, it was blocking. So, if I want to win a game, I'm going to go out there and block my ass off."

Apr 26, 2024

https://twitter.com/FarabaughFB/stat...gan-84-overall
    Sounds like Hines Ward.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by WindyCitySteel View Post
    Sounds like Hines Ward.
    And sounds like the anti-diva we need at the position.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    Nick Farabaugh
    @FarabaughFB

Roman Wilson: "I feel like if your mindset is to win a game, you'll go out there and do whatever your coach asks you to do to win. At Michigan, for me, it was blocking. So, if I want to win a game, I'm going to go out there and block my ass off."

Apr 26, 2024

https://twitter.com/FarabaughFB/stat...gan-84-overall
    Not your typical highlight reel. But it shows his team first not me first attitude.

Mark my words- THE FIRST TIME he does the stuff in this clip TOMLIN WILL PUBLICLY PRAISE HIM in an over the top manner.

I really think there was intention beyond his talent (which is nice) in selecting this kid. I LUV it.

Last edited by Captain Lemming; 04-28-2024 at 12:17 PM.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Legend

User Info Menu

Sounds like Hines Ward.
    I was thinking of Hines with another pick. Because Ward did not have an ACL.

Legend

User Info Menu

A starter opposite George Pickens at wide receiver: It's great that the Steelers spent three picks on the offensive line. That should lead to more pass protection for Russell Wilson and/or Justin Fields.

I just want to know who they are going to target on those passes.

If Pickens isn't a true NFL No. 1 wide receiver yet, he's close. He's clearly the Steelers' No. 1, though. What is even more clear is they still don't have a No. 2.

If third-rounder Roman Wilson (Michigan) proves polished enough to contribute as a rookie, maybe he can emerge as a No. 3. Unfortunately, between Quez Watkins, Calvin Austin III and Van Jefferson, none of those players had more than 20 catches last year.

No one operated out of three-wide receiver sets less frequently than new coordinator Arthur Smith did when he was the head coach in Atlanta last season. But the Steelers still need a third legit threat at the position between now and when the ball is kicked off in a few months.

"We'll see," general manager Omar Khan said about adding a veteran receiver. "If there is ever an opportunity to improve the team, we are going to look at it. If it makes sense, we are going to go after it."

Many believed restructuring Alex Highsmith's contract was done with an eye toward acquiring Brandon Aiyuk, Deebo Samuel, Courtland Sutton or any other wide receiver who has been tossed around as a possible target for Khan. If that's true, such a move has yet to manifest.

That doesn't mean it won't. Here's to hoping it eventually does before the end of training camp.

https://triblive.com/sports/tim-benz...e-draft-recap/
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........Knuckle up. Punk.

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

New WR Roman Wilson fills a huge need, though he's not as flashy as a Brandon Aiyuk. I'm still in awe of the value the Steelers found here in Round 3. Wilson can immediately fill a role out of the slot, and not just a gimmicky role, either. Despite a relatively smaller frame at 5'10" and 185 pounds, Wilson functions as a roleplayer in the short, intermediate and deep passing games. He's got 4.39 speed and it shows on tape, with insanely reliable hands (just a single drop in 2023) an excellent athlete with a respect for the role he can play in the blocking game. Steelers fans will absolutely love this dude from Day 1. Adding to the receiving room would never be a bad thing at this point, but Wilson was a high-floor option in this draft, which helps their outlook at the position tremendously.

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co...u-zach-frazier
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Third-rounder Roman Wilson (WR/Michigan)

At Michigan, he proved to be a true red zone threat, despite measuring a shade under 5-11 at the combine. During his senior year at Michigan, Wilson caught 12 touchdown passes. He was one of just 10 FBS players in 2023 to hit that mark.

Of those 12 TDs, seven were in the red zone and nine were from within 25 yards.

If the Steelers don't trade for a big-name receiver to start opposite George Pickens, Wilson might be a sleeper fantasy football draft choice in touchdown-heavy scoring leagues.

https://triblive.com/sports/tim-benz...ake-an-impact/

Gloat gloat gloat

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    I was thinking of Hines with another pick. Because Ward did not have an ACL.
    Ha! The Wilson cutesie brothers might be my favorite picks.

Legend

User Info Menu

Ha! The Wilson cutesie brothers might be my favorite picks.
    I like when later picks look like they have a potential to play at least a little.

I think Peyton Wilson might be the most interesting pick of the draft. Let's hope he stays healthy and can get on the field at least as a rotational guy.