Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Round 2 - C, WR, CB or DL?

Legend

User Info Menu

Steelers' Day 2 options

The Steelers have their bookend OT; now what? Matt Steel takes a look

I had Graham Barton slightly ahead of Troy Fautanu, so when the selection was announced, I was mildly disappointed with a mix of satisfied happiness.

Barton is 21 and Fautanu is 23. Barton's athleticism is slightly better, with less medical risk. When Fautanu was still on the board, I thought it had to be because of the medicals since he was the most impressive lineman on the field in Indianapolis in February.

Fautanu has the length to be a tackle. With his leverage length and athleticism, Fautanu has All-Pro upside at center. Because of his length, he has more upside as a tackle possibility than Barton. And he's a potential fallback to guard with James Daniels, who might become a free agent after the season.

(Free agent center) Connor Williams should still be in play.

The 49ers' selection of Ricky Pearsall has maintained the possibility of a trade involving Brandon Aiyuk.

With Xavier Legette, a receiver who perfectly fits Arthur Smith's system, already off the board, the situation becomes more complex. Personally, I would prefer a trade involving a third-round pick for Courtland Sutton over a 2025 first-round pick for Aiyuk. This strategic thinking is crucial in maintaining the team's competitive edge and long-term success.

OK, here's the best of tonight's "availables":

https://247sports.com/nfl/pittsburgh...ons-231036589/
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........Knuckle up. Punk.

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    Personally, I would prefer a trade involving a third-round pick for Courtland Sutton over a 2025 first-round pick for Aiyuk. This strategic thinking is crucial in maintaining the team's competitive edge and long-term success.
    This part right here.. and I honestly think it could be an even later (or future) pick.
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's final Mock
    1.20 - Tailiese Fuaga, OT, Oregon St
    2.51 - Zach Frazier, C, WVU
    3.84 - Luke Mccaffery, WR, Rice
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.117 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    6.178 - Travis Glover, OT, Ga State
    6.195 - Dillon Johnson, RB, Washington

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    This part right here.. and I honestly think it could be an even later (or future) pick.
    This is where I'm at too.

I think Aiyuk is a better player than Sutton.

But I don't want to trade high value draft picks unless I think the guy is going to be a mulitple all pro player like Minkah. And even then, that trade came with a rediculously cheap rookie deal since Miami was paying the SB and it still had multiple years left.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    The Steelers waited long into the clock before submitting the pick. I would assume that they already knew that Fautanu was high up their board so that wasn't the delay. My thinking was that they were fielding trade offers. I wonder who was calling and who they were looking at grabbing.
    They pretty much said they had offers coming in while on the clock in the PC.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    This is where I'm at too.

I think Aiyuk is a better player than Sutton.

But I don't want to trade high value draft picks unless I think the guy is going to be a mulitple all pro player like Minkah. And even then, that trade came with a rediculously cheap rookie deal since Miami was paying the SB and it still had multiple years left.
    Aiyuk is a young WR who caught over 75 passes and 1300 yards. He is better than taking a rookie second rounder. As for the money yeah thats an issue but we have Pickens on a rookie deal and he wont get a second contract. We need a 1 who plays like a 1 without the bad attitude.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Just a little LOL for the draft, follow the link below and get a chuckle when you read the Browns rating. You can't make this ish up.

https://www.nfl.com/news/2024-nfl-dr...r-all-32-teams

Pappy

The 2024 Pittsburgh Steeler draft

1.20 - Troy Fautanu, T, Washington
    2.51 - Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia
    3.84 - Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan
    3.98 - Payton Wilson, LB, UNC
    4.119 - Mason McCprmick, OG, S. Dakota St
    7.178 - Logan Lee, DT, Iowa
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    Aiyuk is a young WR who caught over 75 passes and 1300 yards. He is better than taking a rookie second rounder. As for the money yeah thats an issue but we have Pickens on a rookie deal and he wont get a second contract. We need a 1 who plays like a 1 without the bad attitude.
    I like Aiyuk.

But spending lots of draft capital (e.g. 2nd and 3rd) AND a huge contract on a guy before he plays a down for your team is a lot to give up.

And while I believe that he's a very good WR, I also think he plays in the best offensive system in the league surrounded by probably the best group of skill players in the league. I think he won't look as good without that system/cast as he does with that system/cast.
    Last edited by Northern_Blitz; 04-26-2024 at 05:21 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    I like Aiyuk.

But spending lots of draft capital (e.g. 2nd and 3rd) AND a huge contract on a guy before he plays a down for your team is a lot to give up.

And while I believe that he's a very good WR, I also think he plays in the best offensive system in the league surrounded by probably the best group of skill players in the league. I think he won't look as good without that system/cast as he does with that system/cast.
    And he was the most dynamic of that elite group. Im not sure what you are seeing that makes you think anything other than top 5 ceiling for him. How are teams going to cover him, Pickens and Friermuth? The Steelers are in a win now mode and nothing screams win now more than a move like this. SF drafted a WR in the first. Aiyuk is getting traded. I just pray it?s the Steelers
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

run on WRs, 5 of the last 8 picks and 9 overall so far.
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........Knuckle up. Punk.

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I'm looking at the team needs of every team in front of the Steelers and I'm not seeing one of them that have Center as a position of need, other than Philly. Given how Centers traditionally slide, do the Steelers brass roll the dice and see if Frazier or JPJ fall to 51? It would be incredible to get one of those dudes without having to sacrifice any draft capital.

If the team does trade up, the window begins at Pick 40 (Wash) if they are willing to use Pick 98 as the bargaining chip. Do they try to jump only in front of Philly and still keep 98?
    Last edited by Flasteel; 04-26-2024 at 07:40 PM.