Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Steelers have fools gold at quarterback.

Legend

User Info Menu

Steelers have fools gold at quarterback.

We have Wilson who was voted off two teams and is 36, and a recent first round bust in Fields.

Neither man is signed beyond this season.

Can anyone name a QB that became a long answer under these circumstances?

Okay there must be one, but the point remains.

The value of a good QB is at an all time high now, but the Steelers have fools gold.

Some of the fans can see it, why can't the Steelers?
    Tomlin hasn't won a playoff game in seven years and counting. The earliest will be eight years. I guess that in Art Rooney's II, opinion is worth a 3 year extension.

Our 2024 draft looks to be grade A. Our 2023 draft is an A. The roster is talented, but Mike Tomlin is still the head coach.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Buchsbaum View Post
    We have Wilson who was voted off two teams and is 36, and a recent first round bust in Fields.

The value of a good QB is at an all time high now, but the Steelers have fools gold.

Some of the fans can see it? You don't know squat dude. It is the height of arrogance to think you know a fraction of what the front office or coaching staff knows. You peddle in opinions that are formed from nothing more than an amalgam of websites you've visited and a handful of plays you've watched from the other end of a screen.

You could be right that neither Wilson or Fields winds up panning out. But even that broken clock is right twice a day. For you to keep making these absolute proclamations and projecting failure based on your superior knowledge and insight is laughable. Almost as laughable as trading up inside the top 10 for a QB who is now projected to slide into Round Two.

How about you just wait and see what these guys look like on this team before you start forming opinions?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Buchsbaum View Post

You got a long way to climb back up from "Rudolph is a $20M QB"....

Legend

User Info Menu

I said it before and I will say it again. If it works this year Khan and Tomlin look like geniuses. If it doesn’t work, it could be the end for Tomlin.

That isn’t really a risky assessment of the situation on my end.

Also wouldn’t be mad if Penix dropped and we scooped him up in the second round.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    I said it before and I will say it again. If it works this year Khan and Tomlin look like geniuses. If it doesn?t work, it could be the end for Tomlin.
    Maybe only if Pickett tears it up elsewhere, which likely won't happen, especially if Hurts stays healthy. I love the swing for the fences -- the stars on D are aging, we're not starting a rebuild, we're trying to steal a championship in the next year or two and I'm all in for that.

Wilson is a safe play, he performed on a worse team last year and seems rejuvenated in Pittsburgh. Smith's offense should be a much better fit than Payton's.

Fields may never bear any fruit -- if Wilson plays well enough to earn a short extension, they'll move him. Only way he plays is if the iron man Wilson gets hurt or just simply falls off a cliff. But again, I'd rather have someone with his upside backing up than Mason/Mitch/Kenny.

Everyone call me out on this if I backtrack, but I will still like these moves even if they don't work out.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    I said it before and I will say it again. If it works this year Khan and Tomlin look like geniuses. If it doesn’t work, it could be the end for Tomlin.

That isn’t really a risky assessment of the situation on my end.

Also wouldn’t be mad if Penix dropped and we scooped him up in the second round.

Pennix is not lasting until our pick in the 2nd round! Tomlin will be O-U-T in 2025. He will depart not having won a playoff game in 8 years and leaving the team empty at quarterback.

Unless you " think " Wilson is the answer with his age and decline, or Fields is the one in ten first round " busts " which turns out to be good on another team, we better do something at Quarterback. The draft starts today, we will be on the clock around 10:45 PM Eastern time or sooner.

Now they could be the answer but anyone with a brain can see the fools gold.
    Tomlin hasn't won a playoff game in seven years and counting. The earliest will be eight years. I guess that in Art Rooney's II, opinion is worth a 3 year extension.

Our 2024 draft looks to be grade A. Our 2023 draft is an A. The roster is talented, but Mike Tomlin is still the head coach.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by WindyCitySteel View Post
    Maybe only if Pickett tears it up elsewhere, which likely won't happen, especially if Hurts stays healthy. I love the swing for the fences -- the stars on D are aging, we're not starting a rebuild, we're trying to steal a championship in the next year or two and I'm all in for that.

Wilson is a safe play, he performed on a worse team last year and seems rejuvenated in Pittsburgh. Smith's offense should be a much better fit than Payton's.

Fields may never bear any fruit -- if Wilson plays well enough to earn a short extension, they'll move him. Only way he plays is if the iron man Wilson gets hurt or just simply falls off a cliff. But again, I'd rather have someone with his upside backing up than Mason/Mitch/Kenny.

Everyone call me out on this if I backtrack, but I will still like these moves even if they don't work out.
    Pretty much agree with all points. The defensive window is rapidly closing as the DL will need rebuilt soon and Watt's next contract is looming (I'd consider a trade).

Very low risk moves while they continue the search for the next franchise QB. Someone said the Steelers entire QB room only counts 2% against the cap. That is a ridiculous cap advantage even if the QBs turn out just average.

Legend

User Info Menu

The Steelers have better than they have had since Ben left. The team went out and improved the most important position on the team at minimal cost. That should be getting major kudos.
    Last edited by Oviedo; 04-25-2024 at 07:52 AM.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Flasteel View Post
    Some of the fans can see it? You don't know squat dude. It is the height of arrogance to think you know a fraction of what the front office or coaching staff knows. You peddle in opinions that are formed from nothing more than an amalgam of websites you've visited and a handful of plays you've watched from the other end of a screen.

You could be right that neither Wilson or Fields winds up panning out. But even that broken clock is right twice a day. For you to keep making these absolute proclamations and projecting failure based on your superior knowledge and insight is laughable. Almost as laughable as trading up inside the top 10 for a QB who is now projected to slide into Round Two.

How about you just wait and see what these guys look like on this team before you start forming opinions?
    It's a message board and there are a "special" few who really believe they can be better than NFL front offices, but they just choose not to. It is laughable, but over the next few days we'll read the constant messages of everything the team did wrong, despite the fact they have 100x more information than can be found in open sources.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Jim Plunkett was a star at Oakland after washing out at New England. Steve Young played for Tampa I believe. Our own Johnny Unitas and Len Dawson. We also had Earl Morral before he was MVP. I haven't even googled others because my memory is lacking this morning.

There are many QBS who have gone on to success after washing out.