Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Steelers have fools gold at quarterback.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by The Man of Steel View Post
    It’s the NFL’s version of a fight or flight response. Kenny obviously hopped a flight out of Pittsburgh instead of fighting for the starting job. Hard to respect that choice when you think about it.
    FWIW, I don't think he was in a position where he could have earned the starting job (on day 1 at least).

I think he lost the competition for the starting job on game days last season.

Legend

User Info Menu

I would like to see Fields get a real chance to start. I think he may surprise us all with a better organization behind him. Maybe not, but I'd like to see him get a fair shot.
    Help me find my post proving I am a Yinzer!

Find the post Ovi labeled me a troll!

We want to roll people!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Flasteel View Post
    The plan was to bring in top competition for Pickett and see if he's got the goods or not. Pickett derailed that plan with his childish/cowardly demand to be traded. I thought the team did a masterful job of pivoting to another option to replace Pickett - and picking up significant draft capital in the process.

In that moment, is there a better option?

Do you disagree with signing Wilson to challenge Pickett in the first place? At that price, I thought it was a solid move.

Does your criticism of the " QB plan" trace back to the decision to draft Pickett? If so, that ship sailed a long time ago.

Are you still mad because the team didn't trade up to draft Bo Nix? Obviously, this is your preferred option - despite the fact he was considered overdrafted by nearly every person with a paid opinion.

So, take away that last option, assuming the team viewed Nix as the rest of the world and saw him not worthy of trading up for. Is there another option that was available to them at QB that you would have preferred? Another player to provide competition for Pickett? A different player to trade for once Pickett rode out of town?

I don't think anyone is banking on Russ or Fields to be the QB that guides this team to postseason success or become the long-term answer. But there is a chance that Wilson thrives behind this line and in this offense. All he's got to do is have a year like he did last year. There is also a chance with a year under his belt and being in the same system in back-to-back years (for the first time in his career), that Fields is able to put it all together.

As has been stated by others in this thread, both options appear to be upgrades over Pickett. There's a chance, however, that Wilson or Fields - or both - could make it a significant upgrade.
    Outstanding and 100% accurate
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

The matchup with Bo Nix in week 2 is going to be an epic week on this message board. Circling that one. Hope we get Penix in week 1, too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Flasteel View Post
    The plan was to bring in top competition for Pickett and see if he's got the goods or not. Pickett derailed that plan with his childish/cowardly demand to be traded. I thought the team did a masterful job of pivoting to another option to replace Pickett - and picking up significant draft capital in the process.

In that moment, is there a better option?

Do you disagree with signing Wilson to challenge Pickett in the first place? At that price, I thought it was a solid move.

Does your criticism of the " QB plan" trace back to the decision to draft Pickett? If so, that ship sailed a long time ago.

Are you still mad because the team didn't trade up to draft Bo Nix? Obviously, this is your preferred option - despite the fact he was considered overdrafted by nearly every person with a paid opinion.

So, take away that last option, assuming the team viewed Nix as the rest of the world and saw him not worthy of trading up for. Is there another option that was available to them at QB that you would have preferred? Another player to provide competition for Pickett? A different player to trade for once Pickett rode out of town?

I don't think anyone is banking on Russ or Fields to be the QB that guides this team to postseason success or become the long-term answer. But there is a chance that Wilson thrives behind this line and in this offense. All he's got to do is have a year like he did last year. There is also a chance with a year under his belt and being in the same system in back-to-back years (for the first time in his career), that Fields is able to put it all together.

As has been stated by others in this thread, both options appear to be upgrades over Pickett. There's a chance, however, that Wilson or Fields - or both - could make it a significant upgrade.
    So you are all in on 2024 and nothing beyond that at quarterback? It not like we got Peyton Manning or Tom Brady to play for two years and win a super bowl. We got Russell Willson for one year, a new OC in Smith, and several new OL men in the draft at least two of which are projected to start.

Flushing Pickett and Canada down the drain was needed . Both moves to bring them in set this franchise back for 2 years. Now, I do think Wilson's a mild upgrade a QB, but he is only here for a year and then he's a free agent. Smith is an upgrade over Canada, but how much of an upgrade remains to be seen.
    Last edited by Joel Buchsbaum; 05-25-2024 at 07:50 AM.
    Tomlin hasn't won a playoff game in seven years and counting. The earliest will be eight years. I guess that in Art Rooney's II, opinion is worth a 3 year extension.

Our 2024 draft looks to be grade A. Our 2023 draft is an A. The roster is talented, but Mike Tomlin is still the head coach.

Legend

User Info Menu

Flasteel . Almost as laughable as trading up inside the top 10 for a QB who is now projected to slide into Round Two.

How about you just wait and see what these guys look like on this team before you start forming opinions?
    Um,

Dude I have seen Fields and Wilson play the past two years. Haven't you? Almost as laughable is the player you said projected to go in round two was picked early in round one.
    Tomlin hasn't won a playoff game in seven years and counting. The earliest will be eight years. I guess that in Art Rooney's II, opinion is worth a 3 year extension.

Our 2024 draft looks to be grade A. Our 2023 draft is an A. The roster is talented, but Mike Tomlin is still the head coach.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by WindyCitySteel View Post
    The matchup with Bo Nix in week 2 is going to be an epic week on this message board. Circling that one. Hope we get Penix in week 1, too.

It will be fun to watch Nix get pounded into the turf
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"