Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Steelers have fools gold at quarterback.

Legend

User Info Menu

I think the Steelers see exactly what they have in these QBs. Extremely inexpensive experiments, while the search continues for an actual franchise QB.

I doubt either of these guys are the long-term answer. But what else were they going to do RIGHT NOW, if they didn't see Kenny or Mason as the answer? Paying a $100M guaranteed to Cousins doesn't seem like the right thing to do either, right?

Personally, I would have given Kenny/Mason another shot to compete and go all-in to fix the O-Line and add a weapon. But it seems highly likely that we're better off this year with Wilson. So, it's hard to argue that move. But wow, moving on from a first round draft pick QB so quickly is a very UN-Steelers-like move.
    Last edited by Eich; 04-25-2024 at 08:19 AM.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eich View Post
    I think the Steelers see exactly what they have in these QBs. Extremely inexpensive experiments, while the search continues for an actual franchise QB.

I doubt either of these guys are the long-term answer. But what else were they going to do RIGHT NOW, if they didn't see Kenny or Mason as the answer? Paying a $100M guaranteed to Cousins doesn't seem like the right thing to do either, right?

Personally, I would have given Kenny/Mason another shot to compete and go all-in to fix the O-Line and add a weapon. But it seems highly likely that we're better off this year with Wilson. So, it's hard to argue that move. But wow, moving on from a first round draft pick QB so quickly is a very UN-Steelers-like move.
    You're right, the Steelers are very unsteeler like this year. It looks like they are all in so to speak.

I think Wilson was too good to pass up. Kenny throwing it in like he did perhaps wasn't something they counted on but if he's got no guts then let him go.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

To be fair the first round QB asked to be traded but also he asked to be traded arguably because of the way he was being treated/moves the team were making.

This year is all about winning a playoff game imo, which honestly is pretty silly but it is what it is. Rooney in the end calls the shots and we gotta live with it unfortunately as fans.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Buchsbaum View Post
    Pennix is not lasting until our pick in the 2nd round! Tomlin will be O-U-T in 2025. He will depart not having won a playoff game in 8 years and leaving the team empty at quarterback.

Unless you " think " Wilson is the answer with his age and decline, or Fields is the one in ten first round " busts " which turns out to be good on another team, we better do something at Quarterback. The draft starts today, we will be on the clock around 10:45 PM Eastern time or sooner.

Now they could be the answer but anyone with a brain can see the fools gold.
    Then we grab a QB in 2025 and start over.

We are all in on 2024 so drafting a QB at 20 or moving up for a QB like Nix is a terrible idea. Word is Nix is being viewed as a second rounder and backup QB around the league.

We shall see tonight if it holds true.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by "BuzzNuter" View Post
    You're right, the Steelers are very unsteeler like this year. It looks like they are all in so to speak.

I think Wilson was too good to pass up. Kenny throwing it in like he did perhaps wasn't something they counted on but if he's got no guts then let him go.
    I think they knew Kenny would demand a trade once Wilson came in and was given pole position.

QB’s don’t stick around in those situations.

Also have to remember Khan wasn’t the GM who drafted Kenny so maybe he felt like he didn’t have time to waste. I still would’ve liked to see Kenny with a new offense before moving on but Russell Wilson’s at vet minimum was a Haley’s Comet type situation.

If this fails, its going to be a rough year for Tomlin and Khan regardless if Kenny plays in 2024 or not because he played 99% of the time with Canada as OC. If the offense still struggles with Russ and Fields then the question is if our scheme on offensive is outdated.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by "BuzzNuter" View Post
    Jim Plunkett was a star at Oakland after washing out at New England. Steve Young played for Tampa I believe. Our own Johnny Unitas and Len Dawson. We also had Earl Morral before he was MVP. I haven't even googled others because my memory is lacking this morning.

There are many QBS who have gone on to success after washing out.
    As I said, about 1 in 10 QB's who busted with the original team have turned into to something.... I think the odd's are longer now that I think about it.
    Tomlin hasn't won a playoff game in seven years and counting. The earliest will be eight years. I guess that in Art Rooney's II, opinion is worth a 3 year extension.

Our 2024 draft looks to be grade A. Our 2023 draft is an A. The roster is talented, but Mike Tomlin is still the head coach.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Then we grab a QB in 2025 and start over.

We are all in on 2024 so drafting a QB at 20 or moving up for a QB like Nix is a terrible idea. Word is Nix is being viewed as a second rounder and backup QB around the league.

We shall see tonight if it holds true.
    BUT the QB class in 2025 is not as good as it is in 2024, and we will not get a top 12 pick I'm 2025. Nix is not a terrible idea. You don't know what you are talking about.
    Tomlin hasn't won a playoff game in seven years and counting. The earliest will be eight years. I guess that in Art Rooney's II, opinion is worth a 3 year extension.

Our 2024 draft looks to be grade A. Our 2023 draft is an A. The roster is talented, but Mike Tomlin is still the head coach.

Legend

User Info Menu

Ugh, that would have signaled a ceiling of just getting to the playoffs again. No thanks.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Buchsbaum View Post
    BUT the QB class in 2025 is not as good as it is in 2024, and we will not get a top 12 pick I'm 2025. Nix is not a terrible idea. You don't know what you are talking about.
    We don’t need to draft the whole QB class. Every pick is a gamble. Just because the top 3 QB’s in the 2024 draft are considered strong QBs doesn’t guarantee the 5th and 6th QB’s are legit.

If we don’t get a top 12 pick then maybe it means Russ or Fields panned out and we extend them.

lmao at $20 Million Mason having the nerve to tell someone they don’t know what they are talking about.
    Last edited by feltdizz; 04-25-2024 at 09:40 AM.

Legend

User Info Menu

I think the team saw all they needed to see in Pickett and Rudolph. Neither would take them to the next level and as I have said many times, I think they see a three year window and need to be bold now.

Pickett is now even more firmly entranched as a back up QB and Mason is probably in the same boat although better than pickett if Levis struggles.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"