Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flippy Mock 2024 - First and Final

Legend

User Info Menu

Flippy Mock 2024 - First and Final

I've been crazy busy this off season so this year has to be one and done. That's fine, I just need to get it right the first time.

1. Amarius Mims - OT - GA - I just have a feeling we love GA. We love the program and so many of the players. I get he's got limited experience, but that is a blessing for us because you cannot draft guys with this much potential and pedigree at a premium position at 20. This will turn into a home run pick and potentially signify the transformation of this O.

2. Adonai Mitchell - WR - TX - Has all the potential in the world. He played at GA for 2 seasons before TX. He looks a little like Martavis Bryant to me. I think this could be a crazy advantage for the Steelers having Mitchell and Pickens on the outside. No way can you stack the box with Russ throwing deep to these 2. I think Mitchell has the same potential as the WRs going at the top of round 1.

3. Michael Hall Jr - DT - OSU - He seems a little on the smaller side, but he's also 20 and still might have some room to grow. With Cam being near the end of his career, why not get him a youngin from his alma matter to groom over the next couple of years. I like Hall's potential.

3. Khyree Jackson - CB - Oregon - Looks like a CB in the Avatar mold that Omar/Mike T seem to covet recently.

4. Luke McCaffrey - WR - Rice - It's a bloodline pick. I have a feeling we might double dip at WR and McCaffrey and Jerry Rice's kid have the bloodlines that we seem to love. I watched a lot of film of those 2 and I think McCaffrey can be a star when he learns to play the position a little better. He has amazing hands and seems to have a feel for the game that reminds me of his brother in some ways. It's this sneaky McCaffrey way of moving upfield.

6. Hunter Nourzad - C - PSU - Gotta get a C and I think Nourzad could be a steal in this draft. Maybe he looks so sound and physical because he's old, but this has to be the leader on the OLine and I bet the Steelers like the kid that's graduated from Cornell.

6. Trey Taylor - S - Air Force - Another blood line pick. Ed Reed's cousin. AF builds leaders. Good size. Physical against the run with some good ball skills. The competition he faced wasn't great, but he showed out well at East-West Shrine Bowl and looks like he will fit at the next level. Pair him up with fellow Thorpe winner Minkah and you have a potential for quite the S tandem. No idea why people are projecting him as a 7th rounder.

Legend

User Info Menu

Really like the first two picks. I'd be pretty happy if it fell out like that.

Legend

User Info Menu

I love this mock. Only one I would look for a better option is Hall...I'd put in Maason Smith, LSU.

I also believe they love Mims and see a future Pro Bowler
    Last edited by Oviedo; 04-23-2024 at 08:44 AM.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    I love this mock. Only one I would look for a better option is Hall...I'd put in Maason Smith, LSU.

I also believe they love Mims and see a future Pro Bowler
    I looked at Smith because he has the prototypical size for a DE in our system but when I watched some videos, he wasn?t standing out to me with his play.

But I also just could have watched the wrong videos??? I almost overlooked Hall because of his size but he looked like he was going a little harder when I watched some of his plays.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    I looked at Smith because he has the prototypical size for a DE in our system but when I watched some videos, he wasn?t standing out to me with his play.

But I also just could have watched the wrong videos??? I almost overlooked Hall because of his size but he looked like he was going a little harder when I watched some of his plays.
    It's hard to guage Smith because of his injury. Typically with an ACL, the player misses a year and then returns but still not fully back when he returns. I think this applies to everyone except Adrian Peterson and Rod Woodson. So the next year - which would be this coming year for Smith - he returns to where he was pre-injury, with the same arrow pointing upwards from there. On the other hand, he could be Devin Bush who gets injured and misses the season, then plays poorly his first season back, and then never returns to form. I think this is more a question of the mind over the body.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I don't see the logic in taking a RT in the 1st round. We have 2 tackles on rookie contracts. Moore , our LT has not been benched in 3 years. The management is thinking differently then the fans or perhaps PFF.

We do not have a Center. We might have someone on the team who know how to play the position but they don't. We will not go past the 2nd round without picking a Center. If we don't get one in Rd 1 we will move up in Rd 2 to get one of the top 3 guys.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    It's hard to guage Smith because of his injury. Typically with an ACL, the player misses a year and then returns but still not fully back when he returns. I think this applies to everyone except Adrian Peterson and Rod Woodson. So the next year - which would be this coming year for Smith - he returns to where he was pre-injury, with the same arrow pointing upwards from there. On the other hand, he could be Devin Bush who gets injured and misses the season, then plays poorly his first season back, and then never returns to form. I think this is more a question of the mind over the body.
    Good point. Seems it could go either direction and he could be a decent bet coke round 3 because of his genera size and athleticism.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by "BuzzNuter" View Post
    I don't see the logic in taking a RT in the 1st round. We have 2 tackles on rookie contracts. Moore , our LT has not been benched in 3 years. The management is thinking differently then the fans or perhaps PFF.

We do not have a Center. We might have someone on the team who know how to play the position but they don't. We will not go past the 2nd round without picking a Center. If we don't get one in Rd 1 we will move up in Rd 2 to get one of the top 3 guys.
    We could still try to get a C via FA as well.

There are things I like and dislike about the top C prospects and don’t think the kid from PSU is that big of a drop off.

I also wouldn’t be surprised if we like the C from GA who plays hard and could also be just as good as the top guys imho.

Legend

User Info Menu

Not bad but I would like a Center much earlier.

I’m kinda leaning towards a C in the first and grabbing a RT later in the draft. It all starts with the Center and I don’t think we will see this unit improve drastically until we get that position locked down.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I'm sure they will take best player on board based on their needs...C,WR,OT, etc..QB late round...
    The obvious.....