Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weidl The Evaluator

Legend

User Info Menu

Weidl The Evaluator

First a blurb from The Athletic on Weidl's first draft in PHI. Second, a look at his picks.

The conviction required for Andy Weidl to oversee the Eagles? draft was evident in the Ravens? draft meetings 14 years ago in Weidl?s first year as a West Coast scout. Weidl was enthralled with Oregon defensive tackle Haloti Ngata, although some debated whether Ngata had the necessary motor to warrant a valuable first-round pick.

Weidl came armed with information. He discussed the number of snaps Ngata played for the Ducks defense. He explained that Ngata?s intensity shouldn?t be overlooked due to a gentle demeanor. It was the hardest Joe Douglas remembered Weidl advocating for a player during nearly a decade the two spent together with the Ravens.

?He really stood on the table for Haloti,? said Douglas, the Jets general manager and former Eagles executive, ?and it ended up working out really well.?

Weidl, 45, has been with the Eagles since 2016 and is in his first year as Douglas? successor as vice president of player personnel. He deferred any credit for taking Ngata, who became a five-time Pro Bowler, to the top Ravens executives. But he said during a recent phone interview that he learned from the Ngata experience. He studied the tape. He met with Ngata. He went to the Pro Day and shook his hand. He watched him work out. There was an accumulation of information. That?s what mattered.

Douglas, who called Weidl ?as consistent an evaluator as you?ll find,? saw other examples of Weidl?s passion about players he?d scouted, including Kyle Juszczyk, Tyrod Taylor and John Urschel. Kevin Weidl, a Ravens scout, remembers his older brother?s enthusiasm about Torrey Smith and how he gushed over Devin McCourty in their conversations.

Of course, it?s easy to cherry-pick the successes. But the scouting stories share a similar thread: Weidl?s conviction. This business is not for the meek of mind.

?Every year, you can tell ? because he?s just, there?s so much passion and pride in his work ? when he really likes a guy,? Kevin Weidl said. ?I think one thing that I got from him is just believe in what you see, stand up for it and have conviction. I think that?s one thing he?s always had. Right or wrong. We all miss. But Andy always had conviction, and he did the work. As a scout in this business, if you?ve done the work and you have conviction, you gotta respect it.?
    PHI 2020 Draft:
    • J. Reagor - cut after two seasons
    • J. Hurts - franchise QB
    • D. Taylor - out of football
    • K'Von Wallace - no second contract, on his 3rd team so far
    • J. Driscoll - declining snaps each season, traded to MIA
    • J. Hightower - two seasons, out of football
    • S. Bradley - still with PHI, did not play in 2023
    • Q. Watkins - he's a Steeler this year!
    • P. Tega Wanogho - let go after one season on PS; now with KC
    • C Toohill - bounced around as a backup

Legend

User Info Menu

That's pretty interesting.

Hopefully gives some perspective for anyone thinking Weidl is pulling all the strings behind the scenes.

It's a collaborative effort in Pittsburgh by every account I've ever heard. But presumably the GM is the ultimate decision maker for personnel decisions.

Might also shed some light on why he didn't even get a look for GM jobs this year. But if we have another draft we get a bunch of production out of, maybe his stock increases.
    Last edited by Northern_Blitz; 04-18-2024 at 08:37 AM.

Legend

User Info Menu

ouch.. maybe folks beed to slow down on giving Weidl a ton of credit.

Bad drafted happen but anytime you get a franchise QB its it?s considered a successful draft.

Our 2004 draft.

Big Ben
    Richard Coclough - 4 years with us but was mediocre
    Max Starks - successful pick

and that?s all folks.

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co...ugh-max-starks
    Last edited by feltdizz; 04-18-2024 at 08:55 AM.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Legend

User Info Menu

So we can only evaluate him based on his 2020 draft, not the last three?

This doesn't seem agenda-driven at all...
    Last edited by WindyCitySteel; 04-18-2024 at 09:27 AM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by WindyCitySteel View Post
    So we can only evaluate him based on his 2020 draft, not the last three?

This doesn't seem agenda-driven at all...
    Probably not as agenda driven as some places that give credit to the Pittsburgh native Weidl over Kahn (the GM).

There has to be some reason he wasn't interviewed for GM positions, right?

Personally, I was a bit worried that he'd get hired away this year (endownment bias?). But the league didn't think he was even in the conversation. And being in the conversation can still mean you end up non-hired for a long time (see: Khan, Omar).

FWIW, I think that's good for us. My guess is that he's a valuable member of the organization. And it's probably better for us the longer he stays.

Legend

User Info Menu

So the league didn't interview him because they blamed him for the 2020 draft and didn't credit him for the 2021-23 drafts?

Not following.

Like saying Ben isn't an HOF QB because he was bad in 2006.

Legend

User Info Menu

Has Weidl ever been the actual GM who picks the players?

In the last three seasons, in particular, Weidl took a leading role in personnel decisions, as the person responsible for setting the Eagles? draft board. While GM Howie Roseman made the selections, Weidl ranked and rated each player. He?s expected to have a similar role this year in the Steelers? war room

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by WindyCitySteel View Post
    So the league didn't interview him because they blamed him for the 2020 draft and didn't credit him for the 2021-23 drafts?

Not following.

Like saying Ben isn't an HOF QB because he was bad in 2006.
    The league didn't interview him because they thought he wasn't good enough to be in the top however many candidates there are for those jobs (probably less than 10 guys).

NC's post isn't "the reason" that he wasn't interviewed. But it seems to support the decision that multiple teams in the league made. As you said, it's certainly not reasonable to only look at one year.

And the thing is, he's never been the decision maker. So none of us know what he'd do.

As I said in my post, I think he's good at his job. And I hope he sticks around for a while without getting poached (just like Kahn did).

The thing about Weidl's current position is that there are only 32 better jobs in the league. Only a fraction of those come open every year. It's got to be hard to get hired into those jobs.

Legend

User Info Menu

My point exactly about Weidl. We LOVED the draft. But if he made the board I could have gotten it looking at a mock draft consensus. What made it special was the moves Khan made. The MAGIC of our draft is not in drafting Jones or Porter. It is that we magically got THE TOP TWO PLAYERS MOCKED TO US IN THE FISRT. That required not one but TWO trades, one made long before the draft. Benton AND Washington were ALSO mocked to us in the first albeit less frequently. We got Herbig who was consistently mocked earlier, sometimes to us with an ADDED pick that we did not have with a trade down.

"Who" we picked is the draft board. Nice job Weidl. Good but obvious. HOW MANY of them we got took mad skill. Not either or but BOTH. That is ALL Khan.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Legend

User Info Menu

its never ALL one person with our drafts.

just not how we operate and I’m fine with it.

Other need to be fine with it too instead of always trying to make it about one person.