Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why trading back in the draft is the best idea

Legend

User Info Menu

Why trading back in the draft is the best idea

Trading back from No. 20 and gaining more draft capital makes the most sense

Apr 6, 2024

Q: In order of importance, what do the Steelers needs in order, and in a mock who do you draft?

A: I would rank their needs in this order

Center
    Wide receiver
    Tackle
    Cornerback
    Defensive line
    Linebacker

Personally, I think the Steelers should trade back. And they'll almost certainly have a dance partner to do so.

But let's say Brian Thomas Jr. is there at 20 and the Bills really want him. It's doubtful that he'd make it to 28, and Brandon Beane is an aggressive GM who has had no issues trading up before (that's how they got Josh Allen). So let's say the Steelers and Bills do a trade and the Steelers get Picks No. 28, 60, 144, and a fourth-round pick next season in exchange for Picks No. 20 and 98- I'd take that in a heartbeat. An extra second round pick, as well as an additional early fifth-round pick. Plus, with the Steelers having two seconds, they could package that and move up in the second round if say Jackson Powers-Johnson or Zach Frazier are in a spot that they are able to trade up to. I think Tennessee at No. 38 would be that prime target spot. I'm all for the chaos of constant trades back and trading back up, and I fully expect the Steelers to be active on draft day.

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co...cole-nfl-draft
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........Knuckle up. Punk.

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

I'd love this.

I know trade charts are just estimates, but sliding back to ARI's 2nd pick in the first then swapping 2nds is about even on the chart.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post

Trading back from No. 20 and gaining more draft capital makes the most sense

Apr 6, 2024

Q: In order of importance, what do the Steelers needs in order, and in a mock who do you draft?

A: I would rank their needs in this order

Center
    Wide receiver
    Tackle
    Cornerback
    Defensive line
    Linebacker

Personally, I think the Steelers should trade back. And they'll almost certainly have a dance partner to do so.

But let's say Brian Thomas Jr. is there at 20 and the Bills really want him. It's doubtful that he'd make it to 28, and Brandon Beane is an aggressive GM who has had no issues trading up before (that's how they got Josh Allen). So let's say the Steelers and Bills do a trade and the Steelers get Picks No. 28, 60, 144, and a fourth-round pick next season in exchange for Picks No. 20 and 98- I'd take that in a heartbeat. An extra second round pick, as well as an additional early fifth-round pick. Plus, with the Steelers having two seconds, they could package that and move up in the second round if say Jackson Powers-Johnson or Zach Frazier are in a spot that they are able to trade up to. I think Tennessee at No. 38 would be that prime target spot. I'm all for the chaos of constant trades back and trading back up, and I fully expect the Steelers to be active on draft day.

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co...cole-nfl-draft
    If the Steelers want a first round Center I would agree trading back may be the correct move.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Do we ever trade back in the first round?
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Legend

User Info Menu

Takes two to tango, not as easy as just telling a team we're trading with you.

Legend

User Info Menu

The Texans don't have 1st round pick, I wonder if they think they are 1 player away from competing for the SB? They might be willing to move up and give up some of their draft capital (I think they have 9 picks).

Pappy

The 2024 Pittsburgh Steeler draft

1.20 - Troy Fautanu, T, Washington
    2.51 - Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia
    3.84 - Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan
    3.98 - Payton Wilson, LB, UNC
    4.119 - Mason McCprmick, OG, S. Dakota St
    7.178 - Logan Lee, DT, Iowa
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    The Texans don't have 1st round pick, I wonder if they think they are 1 player away from competing for the SB? They might be willing to move up and give up some of their draft capital (I think they have 9 picks).

Pappy
    Carolina also doesn’t have a first round pick and they need weapons

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Trades are rare, but I think we have moved back before.
    https://steelersnow.com/history-of-s...kevin-colbert/

This article is old (2021). It doesn't include trading up for Jones.

There are not many trades for draft picks in the 2000s. And only one is trading back (3 spots). 2001. From 16 to 19. Picked up Big Snack.

I wonder how much of this is that people don't want to move up into the late 1st or how much of it is that the Steelers don't want to trade down.

If we do trade down (and I'd like to so we can move up in the 2nd), I think it's very unlikely that we'd move out of the 1st. And probably not even close to that far.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    Trades are rare, but I think we have moved back before.
    https://steelersnow.com/history-of-s...kevin-colbert/

This article is old (2021). It doesn't include trading up for Jones.

There are not many trades for draft picks in the 2000s. And only one is trading back (3 spots). 2001. From 16 to 19. Picked up Big Snack.

I wonder how much of this is that people don't want to move up into the late 1st or how much of it is that the Steelers don't want to trade down.

If we do trade down (and I'd like to so we can move up in the 2nd), I think it's very unlikely that we'd move out of the 1st. And probably not even close to that far.
    IMO some fans just like the way it sounds when they say they want to trade back in the first.

seldom do they actually have picks and a plan when saying it.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Remember we can throw history out the door.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher