Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Please fix the OL in the draft

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    Honestly, I believe what I've read about them taking OL in the first, but not in the second.

I do think they really want a WR on day 2, so it depends on how the board falls.

Lets say you get JPJ and get to the 2nd and are choosing between Leggette and a 2nd tier OT. I suspect they go Leggette and are good to roll with Dan Moore for one more season.

If all the WR worthy of being selected in that slot are gone, but say Tyler Guyton is on the board for some odd reason, they'd take him.

Some of it really depends on how the draft falls.
    I think so too.

I think we go C and WR in the first two rounds. Probably C in the first, but maybe not.

It's a little ironic because Windy really wants us to go OT and C (which I'd like too). But the reason that I don't think we can is that we didn't do the "paper over starting positions" offseason strategy he doesn't like (I guess that would be something like signing Boyd here).

I think we've painted ourselves into a corner at these two positions where we need a day 1 starter for C and a guy who's projected to start by at least the end of the year at WR.

And I think that means we don't have the luxury of selecting someone like Mims if he falls to us. In this case, maybe we pick him but that forced us to go C in the 2nd IMO. Then pick up a WR in the 3rd.

Although who knows...last time we had a desperate need for a C who could start on day 1, we waited until round 3.
    Last edited by Northern_Blitz; 03-29-2024 at 11:57 AM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    I think DL is a really big need too. Can Cam and Larry O last the season?

My understanding is that it's not a particularly good draft for DL. But I'd be happy about picking one fairly early (as long as we can take care of positions where we don't currently have starters).
    Because its not a "good" or deep Def Line draft, that is why we need to get someone early.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

If we do draft DL, I hope we do a lot better than Isaiah Loudermilk and DeMarvin Leal
    a couple of underwhelming picks
    2024 Draft
    1) Troy Fautanu, OT, Washington
    2) Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia
    3a) Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan
    3b) Payton Wilson, LB, North Carolina St.

Mock for rounds 4-7
    4) Cedric Gray, LB, North Carolina
    6a) Khristian Boyd, DT, Northern Iowa
    6b) MJ Devonshire, CB, Pitt

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    I think you fail to recognize we may actually be worse off on the Defensive Line than we are on the Offensive Line

We've done much more to fix the OL than the DL the last several years, both in free agency and the draft.
    They might have done more with the OL but those fixes were marginal in success. Green? Nope. Cole? No long term fix. Dotson? Outta here. Turner the turnstile?? Um, no. Need fixes that will ​stick.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    They might have done more with the OL but those fixes were marginal in success. Green? Nope. Cole? No long term fix. Dotson? Outta here. Turner the turnstile?? Um, no. Need fixes that will ​stick.
    Worth mentioning that some of these fixes do look like they will stick: Jones, Seumalo, Daniels.

And while he's not a fan favorite, Moore has started every game since he was drafted. My guess is that's better than what you'd expect from a 4th round pick (128 OA). Even if at least some of that playing time is because there wasn't a better option available.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    Worth mentioning that some of these fixes do look like they will stick: Jones, Seumalo, Daniels.

And while he's not a fan favorite, Moore has started every game since he was drafted. My guess is that's better than what you'd expect from a 4th round pick (128 OA). Even if at least some of that playing time is because there wasn't a better option available.
    Moore is ok as an average LT. But in reality the best teams have above average to elite LT. If you can live with average it's best to live with it on the right side.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Moore is ok as an average LT. But in reality the best teams have above average to elite LT. If you can live with average it's best to live with it on the right side.
    I think that's what I said re: Moore.

I debated putting that part in the post because I was worried that the first half of the post would be ignored and people would just focus on the fact that Moore isn't above average.

The league is different now, but I don't remember us having an elite LT for any of the SBs we've gone to under Cowher and Tomlin.

Legend

User Info Menu

Moore is not average, he's literally the worst pass blocker in the league.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by WindyCitySteel View Post
    Moore is not average, he's literally the worst pass blocker in the league.
    In fairness, you also have to consider who these guys were blocking for. KP wasn?t willing to stay in the pocket.

Either way, I doubt it?s gonna matter much when we take Mims. He just feels like the Steelers pick to me. He?s got all the tools to dominate but just feels under experienced. Like Broderick in a way.

Loads of room to grow.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

The offensive line doesn't need to just improve, it needs to improve to the point where it is the identity of the team. It needs to be the force behind a punishing running attack and an impenetrable wall that protects the QB and allows passing plays to develop. If the Steelers line is going to begin to resemble such a group, then it obviously needs stud players at OC and OT. There is no legit starting center on the roster. I'm sure Dan Moore could remain the starter as the LT and be competent...or perhaps continue his low arch of improvement. But there's no way he is an ingredient on the line the Steelers need to build. That means two bad-ass dudes are needed along the offensive line. Last I checked, no such free agent exists.

I fully agree the defensive line is in need of some top-tier talent as well - either a dominant NT or a 5-tech guy that allows Benton to stay at nose. However, getting starters there is more of an eye towards the future and not a necessary ingredient for immediate improvement. There is a sense of immediate need along the offensive line that is just not present (in my opinion) with the defensive line.

This is also why I remain concerned about the continued absence of a number two receiver. It's a deep receiver draft, but if there is no starter in place, it all but guarantees one of the top three picks will be spent on the position. My fear is that one of the top two picks will be burned there when I personally want to see the trenches beefed up - ideally a RT and OC. Ideally, Latham or Mims in the first and Frazier in the second round.