Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Please fix the OL in the draft

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    Do you think that this was a Tomlin pick and Weidl was not on board? I think this pick has Weidl written all over it.
    I do too.
    I’m thinking Tomlin probably wanted one of those cbs
    How is it possible to have the best owner, best front office, best gm, best HC, good/great drafts every year and good FA acquisitions every year, but only have 3 playoff wins in 14 years?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    I think you can find talent later at both Center and DL. Michael Hall Jr isnt getting love because he isnt quite big enough but the dude has a motor, is quick and athletic. Hes a baller. IMO the deepest part of this draft is center. Not WR. All these ?amazing? talents at WR and the franchise guys are gone. The guys left are not franchise WRs. But Bortolini, Nouzard, Pran? These guys can be had later and still start for the Steelers. If our first three rounds looks like this Ill call it a home run.
    1) Fautanu
    2) Aiyuk
    3) Van Pran
    3b) Michael Hall Jr or Jeremiah Trotter
    thoughts on roman wilson? He seems to have the ability to create separation on underneath routes, but decent enough speed to go deep. IMO, he's better than any WR on the team not named Pickens
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's final Mock
    1.20 - Tailiese Fuaga, OT, Oregon St
    2.51 - Zach Frazier, C, WVU
    3.84 - Luke Mccaffery, WR, Rice
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.117 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    6.178 - Travis Glover, OT, Ga State
    6.195 - Dillon Johnson, RB, Washington

Legend

User Info Menu

How about we look for a C or CB next?

Gaping holes there.
    Help me find my post proving I am a Yinzer!

Find the post Ovi labeled me a troll!

We want to roll people!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chucktownsteeler View Post
    How about we look for a C or CB next?

Gaping holes there.
    I just have a feeling that the team does not see the same gaping hole at CB that many fans do.

They traded DJ for a CB who was forced to be the #1 CB on a bad D with no pass rush. I think they expect him to be better in Pittsburgh than he was in Carolina. There are also two second year guys - Trice who looked good in camp last year and returning from injury, and Rush who came in mid-season last year. There is also PP, Elijah Riley, and Chandon Sullivan who were in Pittsburgh last year, as well as several outside FAs still available.

While not ideal, I would say that any of these options is better than what the Steelers have available at either C or WR if they don't draft one. I think the team might be looking at a slot corner, but I would even go for a nice DL prospect as could be looking to replace both Cam and Larry O by next year.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by WindyCitySteel View Post
    Any questions? Weidl is building the lines like he did in Philly.
    What a great first two picks, righting the wrongs of 2021.

Legend

User Info Menu

Do you think that this was a Tomlin pick and Weidl was not on board? I think this pick has Weidl written all over it.
    We drafted a Center so I?m happy with the pick. When Fautuna was drafted the first thing they said on ESPN is he would move inside.. AND HE CAN PLAY CENTER!

I wanted a Center who played Center in college. We got Frazier so I?m happy as hell now.

Also, I don’t do the Tomlin pick vs Khan vs Weidl thing. We draft as a collective. Trying to assign blame or praise to one individual isn’t something I care about.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Legend

User Info Menu

The biggest shift from 2023 comes on the offensive line. The Steelers released 2023 starting center Mason Cole after the season and they entered the draft without a single center on the roster. Meanwhile, Dan Moore Jr. hung around at left tackle, with him and Cole combining for an absolutely ridiculous 93 total pressures last season. Now, they've got viable starters on every single position of the offensive line, including the additions of first-round pick tackle Troy Fautanu, Round 2 center Zach Frazier and Round 4 IOL Mason McCormick. I've slotted Fautanu and Frazier in for starting roles Day 1, while I project McCormick to take over backup duties along the interior with a ton of positional flexibility coming out of South Dakota State.

I could picture the Steelers moving on from Dan Moore Jr., as the least versatile option remaining on the OL. That would mean the Steelers leaning on McCormick and 2023 seventh-round pick OL Spencer Anderson for most of the backup duties, who both have the versatility to play multiple positions on the line in the case of injury. Moore has played 5939 of 5980 (99%) of career snaps dating back to 2017 at Texas A&M at left tackle. Per Spotrac, a pre or post-June 1 release of Moore would save just under $3.37 million against the cap in 2024 on the final year of his rookie contract, carrying just $174,476 in dead cap.

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co...u-zach-frazier
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........Knuckle up. Punk.

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    thoughts on roman wilson? He seems to have the ability to create separation on underneath routes, but decent enough speed to go deep. IMO, he's better than any WR on the team not named Pickens
    He honestly is a tough eval for the same reasons JJ McCarthy is -- how much success was based on knowing the play before the snap?

Legend

User Info Menu

I just have a feeling that the team does not see the same gaping hole at CB that many fans do.

They traded DJ for a CB who was forced to be the #1 CB on a bad D with no pass rush. I think they expect him to be better in Pittsburgh than he was in Carolina. There are also two second year guys - Trice who looked good in camp last year and returning from injury, and Rush who came in mid-season last year. There is also PP, Elijah Riley, and Chandon Sullivan who were in Pittsburgh last year, as well as several outside FAs still available.

While not ideal, I would say that any of these options is better than what the Steelers have available at either C or WR if they don't draft one. I think the team might be looking at a slot corner, but I would even go for a nice DL prospect as could be looking to replace both Cam and Larry O by next year.
    I also think the Steelers are hopeful about Darius Rush. They got Rush after the Colts released him and this was the reason listed

Physically, Rush fit the exact profile the Colts like in their cornerbacks. He?s physical, lengthy and has elite speed. But he struggled with consistent mirroring and made a poor habit of biting on double moves
    The length and speed is also what the Steelers like. Hopefully they can train him out of his bad habits
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    The biggest shift from 2023 comes on the offensive line. The Steelers released 2023 starting center Mason Cole after the season and they entered the draft without a single center on the roster. Meanwhile, Dan Moore Jr. hung around at left tackle, with him and Cole combining for an absolutely ridiculous 93 total pressures last season. Now, they've got viable starters on every single position of the offensive line, including the additions of first-round pick tackle Troy Fautanu, Round 2 center Zach Frazier and Round 4 IOL Mason McCormick. I've slotted Fautanu and Frazier in for starting roles Day 1, while I project McCormick to take over backup duties along the interior with a ton of positional flexibility coming out of South Dakota State.

I could picture the Steelers moving on from Dan Moore Jr., as the least versatile option remaining on the OL. That would mean the Steelers leaning on McCormick and 2023 seventh-round pick OL Spencer Anderson for most of the backup duties, who both have the versatility to play multiple positions on the line in the case of injury. Moore has played 5939 of 5980 (99%) of career snaps dating back to 2017 at Texas A&M at left tackle. Per Spotrac, a pre or post-June 1 release of Moore would save just under $3.37 million against the cap in 2024 on the final year of his rookie contract, carrying just $174,476 in dead cap.

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co...u-zach-frazier
    Dan Moore could be trade bait, but would be nice to have a back up with the number of starts he has in case of injury.

They also have Spencer Anderson and Dylan Cook who they seem to like and could be back up tackles
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"