Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Steelers Signing Cordarelle Patterson

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by WindyCitySteel View Post
    New kickoff rules to encourage more returns, that alone makes this worth it.
    I don't fully understand the new rule, but I wonder how many teams will just opt to kick it into the end zone and give them the ball at the 30. Seems to me like that might be the better strategy. Especially late in close games.

I didn't watch what kickoffs looked like in the XFL, but it seems to me like teams won't want to take the high risk of big returns under the new rule.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    I don't fully understand the new rule, but I wonder how many teams will just opt to kick it into the end zone and give them the ball at the 30. Seems to me like that might be the better strategy. Especially late in close games.

I didn't watch what kickoffs looked like in the XFL, but it seems to me like teams won't want to take the high risk of big returns under the new rule.
    If you have a decent kick cover team you wouldn't want to kick it into the EZ.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    If you have a decent kick cover team you wouldn't want to kick it into the EZ.
    I think it might end up being really hard to cover kicks when your guys can't move until the returner catches it (which I think is what the rule is).

Seems like that will give returners a ton of space to work with.

I think it will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Legend

User Info Menu

Steelers sign KR Cordarrelle Patterson (2 years, $6 million): A/F Grade

There are two grades for this signing, yet they couldn't be further apart. This is probably an "A" transaction, but it could be a failure. Confused? I'll explain.

I like how the Steelers reacted to the kickoff rule changes. For those of you who have not heard, touchbacks have been all but outlawed by the NFL because teams will gain possession from the 35 in the event of one. Returns will be far more common, which makes someone like Cordarrelle Patterson far more important. Patterson is no longer a viable running back, but he's still an electric kickoff returner.

However, we must consider Arthur Smith. The former Falcons head coach notoriously gave lesser players touches over Bijan Robinson, and that includes Patterson. If Smith decides that Patterson deserves the ball over Najee Harris and/or Jaylen Warren, then this will look like a Millen-type signing.

https://walterfootball.com/freeagentsigninggrades.php
    Last edited by hawaiiansteel; 03-26-2024 at 11:55 PM.
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post

However, we must consider Arthur Smith. The former Falcons head coach notoriously gave lesser players touches over Bijan Robinson, and that includes Patterson. If Smith decides that Patterson deserves the ball over Najee Harris and/or Jaylen Warren, then this will look like a Millen-type signing.

https://walterfootball.com/freeagentsigninggrades.php
    The writer is overblowing Smith's use of him. Patterson had only 50 carries last season. It is true Smith used Allegier quite a bit, especially on first downs. But it was not unlike the Harris/Warren combo. I suspect Patterson will be mainly a returner and this will be a big deal with the new rules.

Legend

User Info Menu

I think it might end up being really hard to cover kicks when your guys can't move until the returner catches it (which I think is what the rule is).

Seems like that will give returners a ton of space to work with.

I think it will be interesting to see how this plays out.
    I think I see what I got wrong now.

I thought that the "onside" position for the kickoff team was much further back than it is in these XFL videos.

I assume that if you put two returners back, both can move before the ball is caught? Seems like that might be an advantage, but it looked like all of the highlights in the video above they only have 1 returner. So the cost of bringing a blocker back off the line seems like is higher than the benefit of having a lead blocker?
    Last edited by Northern_Blitz; 03-27-2024 at 10:24 AM.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

It's a fairly decent signing. I'm not really sure if he's the same player as his younger days because is 33 now. I'll remain neutral on the signing with an eye on Patterson having a positive impact in the return game. He can't be any worse than who we've had for the last several years. So welcome to the Burgh!

Legend

User Info Menu

I don't dislike the move because it is another low risk signing. Other than KR, I'm wondering if he could be a potential WR3. When he entered the league, he was a KR/WR. I think it was just during his stint with the Pats that they started lining him up in the backfield, and just the last three years where he was listed as a RB instead of WR. As recently as 2021 he had 52 catches for 548 yards and 5 TDs. Not sure how much of that was him lining up at receiver or back. He is a big body who can make plays with the ball in his hands. I don't see WR3 getting a ton of snaps in this O, but I can see him as a guy who thrives in certain games where they see him as a mismatch. Interested to see how this plays out.

Legend

User Info Menu

Smith is not giving Cordarrelle touches over Harris. Walter football is idiotic.

Legend

User Info Menu

I think I see what I got wrong now.

I thought that the "onside" position for the kickoff team was much further back than it is in these XFL videos.

I assume that if you put two returners back, both can move before the ball is caught? Seems like that might be an advantage, but it looked like all of the highlights in the video above they only have 1 returner. So the cost of bringing a blocker back off the line seems like is higher than the benefit of having a lead blocker?
    I was thinking it could be interesting to use a FB or some bigger physical lead blocker on kick returns.

If the 2 returners can move ahead of the kick, the lead blocker could potentially be the one other guy moving before everyone else.

Id consider putting a guy like Jaylen back with the primary returner.

A guy with the size/athleticism of Kendrick Greene would be another interesting tandem on the return.